Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Laptop Turned Off....Wont Turn On! :(

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Ok I was using my laptop last night, which is 9 months old (still under 1 year warranty) - it's a mid spec ADVENT laptop with a dual core, 2gb ram, 120gb HD.

Anyway, I was using it and it cut out as if the power supply and battery were removed (it flashed off like when you Pull the plug out of the socket), and when I went to turn it back on - nothing!

When the powerpack is plugged in to the mains it is lit green (i.e normal), but when I plug it into the laptop it is lit but dime and flashing.
The laptop does not light up, to indicate it is receiving power/charging etc.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happend?

The background of this laptop:
Advent mid spec, £500 ($1000).
9 months old.
On daily from anything between 4-12 hours.

The "cut out" did occur after the laptop had been running for a very long time (around 13 hours).

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 12:20 pm
Just a guess: heat?

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 12:28 pm

Well it was last night when it turned off, and now a day later it still wont turn on.
So whatever has happend, it is a permenant thing.

Perhaps the powerpack has crapped out.

I tried plugging the power supply in without the battery attached and still no joy.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 12:52 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Motherboard / Processor --- only time I have ever seen that kind of result.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 12:58 pm
cstoll wrote :
Motherboard / Processor --- only time I have ever seen that kind of result.

I hope not - I would need the HD to be recovered as it was only partially backed-up.

Normally when sending a laptop back to the manufacturer they aren't as sympathetic as you'd like..

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 1:23 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You could always purchase an USB based external caddy for laptop hard drives - put the hard drive in it and pull the data off to your desktop.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 1:45 pm
Getting data off the HD on a laptop should be pretty cheap even if you're not doing it yourself as the HD is easily accessible and a 2.5" USB caddy retails for just a couple of pounds. It's best to do it yourself. Unfortunately it does sound like something on the laptop is dead, otherwise you would at least be able to power on from the battery.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 1:47 pm

Thanks for the advice so far..

I've contacted the retailer and they will pick it up on Wednesday morning.
I asked "What happens if you can't fix it", and not surprisingly they said they would write it off, send me the value of the laptop in vouchers and NOT return me my HD.

I have asked specifically that they do not get rid of my HD, they have no policy regarding a users information and it would be my job to track the progress and be sure the HD stays out of the bin..

Now if they can't fix it.., does anyone know of a brand of laptop that lasts?

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 4:07 pm
Bren I would go out and buy an external enclosure and get all your info and files off that drive before sending it in. I would bet u any money that they arent gonna get your info back.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 4:45 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
i would go with brian on that advice, get the stuff back before you send it off, they ain't gonna be to bothered about the needs of a customer, they just bin it and get it off there bench and onto the next job.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 7:04 pm
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ive seen a few times laptops go into hibernate mode then get stuck and wont power on/off. Try plugging the laptop into the power then HOLD the power button down for at least 6 seconds and the laptop should power off completely then when you press the power button again it should start.

This works for computers that freeze and wont respond to a reset or power button press either.

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 8:51 pm
go out and buy an external enclosure you don't need them to do this

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 8:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)