Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Wanna share my most bad experience when djing:( - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi fellas, just wanna share my bad experience when djing in a gig, and that day is today:(

I'm doing a gig at this private party in a club-like style. They have a makeshift stage and i will also be the sound engineer for the live band.

Started to assemble at the place ard 5.30pm.

Everything went well during this time n while during soundcheck. I then began to assemble my dj rig ( 1 PC lappy, 1 mac, 1ext HD, 2 turntables, 1 mixer, 2 soundcards and creative zen M Mp3 player)

First unlucky scenario - I found out that one of my stylus cover lost (Think it was lost during transportation) but that ok. I then move on testing the equipment with VDJ n timecodes.. everything were sweet n fanstantic. ( I can't use the mac for timecode hence as to use a PC lappy on it). The set went on till 7pm n everything were good. So i end my set for a while as the party gonna start soon.

Second unlucky senario - Then i checked my external hd while the band are getting ready for their performances n to my surprised my lappy did not detect the ext hd. I know this couldn't be right as i have formatted that in fats32 with also can be use on my mac and i did a test with it a day before. I reboot n even to the extend of doing system restore but to no joy:(. Then i decided to hook it up to my mac n see if the drive is there. But again no joy, the drive is nowhere to be recognised by both both laptops. I then change the usb cable but also no success. The strange thing is that it is still running n it is operational but it can't be detected despite numerous attempt. I gave up n i can't use my tracks on the external but have to use the internal ones which is few and older tracks.

Third unlucky senario - In my desperation to get the disc to be detected, suddenly it was time to declare the party opening. I went to the sound console at the back of the stage n was running to n fro between the sound rig n the dj rig. N during this time when i was checking n pickin up the headset on the sound console, i fell off from the stage.. lol. man that was painful. (my leg n hand has some bruises n blue black). I looked dumb and embarassed in front of the crowd but then the show have to go on...n off we go.

Fourth unlucky senario - Time for the third band to be playing their last songs and the time is now 10pm or so..then there is a power trip.. lol. i could not believe my bad will be so unlucky to this extend. It took up for 5 mins n then the power is up again, and the band continue their performances.. N that was it,, when during the solo part, i do not know how the hell my lappy fell crashing to the floor from the console table.. #&($&$(.. i totally felt moody n sad. I pick up my lappy n there my cd drive is broken n could no longer close the laptop lid unless i forced it:(.. this is truly a bad day for me.

Fifth unlucky senario - the time is 11 pm and i start my set.. for the first 30 min or so(there a lot of crowd dancing),, the "broken"laptop werk ok with TCV, but then i lost on the right deck signal frequently.. n the right channel give out some humming noise..This is uncool i koe, so i decided to play my backup cd player n everything is ok.. so i koe it is not the mixer that gave me this problem. this time i really hate to continue my set in situation like this. So i just play a normal cd n just fade in fade out..lol...(this time the crowd mostly leaving the dance floor n look at me..haha) my main focus in on my laptop n vdj..so i decided to give it a second try this time not with TCV but just using the herc mk2. I blend from cd to the next track on vdj using the hercs n back again the sound is nice. (the crowd came back again..hehe) this went on ok for another 30 min then that sound comes out again.. what the #($(@$(. This time i really lost my cool n really frustated. I just went to the cd player n just on a "slow rock genre"cd. n i decided to pack up my stuff (I koe this is unprofessional but the party suppose to finish by 1am and now it is 12.40plus). The crowd began to disperse from the dance floor n went back to their corner n seats. I think they will understand the problem that im facing n to me this is the most disaster day as my life as a dj n now what i bring back home is a "broken" laptop, "defunct" ext hd, A bruise n maybe bad reputation:(

I hope tomorrow will be a fine day for me n i need to koe whatever happen to my ext hd n go to repair my laptop.

If u guys also have ur most bad experiences, do share around.

Ooh btw do anyone as the reason y my external hd can't be detected? It still running n the only thing i could think of maybe there is a problem with the internal circuit. Thanks.

PS: sorry for my bad grammar english as i really have no mood n really fed up abt what happen few hrs ago but i dunno why, i just feel i have to write here and sorry for the long winded post too.

Regards.

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 4:15 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Damn Spinna, thats one long night! One of those nights I bet you are glad is over. Try too look on the bright side, at least when you fell you did not break bones!

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 4:31 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Man you are one tough guy, I am sure the crowd could see and recognised you were dealing with it as best as you could.

I remember a laptop I had that occasionally would not see the drive.
This problem always corrected itself with a reboot and it would show up.
Did you just plug it in or boot with it connected?

I know they should be hot swapable, but I have seen otherwise.
That laptop eventually wound up in bits and pieces and this is a good case for rack or desktop computers.
In my blog I have the last one I built after killing myself with a 3u rack system (also pictured)

Oh, and always test and drill plan B
You never know when trouble will present itself.

At the recent DJ Show in AC, during a live performance a BRAND NEW Pioneer DVJ died.
All the guy had was the other DVJ and eventually walked off the stage.

My system utilizes an MAudio Fast Track Pro which has a live thru pass audio so my second system (lighting laptop with RMX) gets patched through the FTP to the amp rack.
I can seamlessly move over and reboot my system if I have to.

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 4:40 pm
@tearemup

Yah, i am lucky not to have fracture or worse.Thanks terry;) N i do glad the day is over .. well as ppl said tomorrow gonna be a new day..hehe.

@mp3jrick

Yes i do both ways too, plug in while still in the windows n when rebooting it but either way no success. Does this mean that my HD have died but i doubt so as it still running n the green light indicate it still on. It's only not detectable in windows n mac. Strange right?

I gonna do troubleshooting later n i have to get some rest now n will really need help on this as that drive 500gb contains my tracks n my full time 3d werkin file. I was going to buy a new hd soon as to back up but this things do happen.:(

Yes it is good to have plan b and lucky for me i do have my cd decks standby;)

N also ur system look goods too rick;)

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 5:04 pm
Holly Bad Luck Batman!

And I thought when I had a terrble diarrhea during a gig was the worst DJ nightmare.

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 7:19 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
aah mate i really feel for you spinna, not, see what happens when you are a man u supporter, your ying & yang catches up with you even in advance, now we all know i'm going to be a well pi$$ed off bloke cum' 6pm after the match, so you got your ying tonight and i'm gonna get my yang a little later today.

make it easier on yourself spinna and just become a toon supporter, you know it makes sense. lol

on a serious note "crap happens" and we can't do anything about it, just hope those bruises disappear quickly... best wishes mate.

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 7:54 pm
Hmmm ... dat really is a trail of bad luck mon

I had the same issue with a hard drive... different scenario.... had an external hard dfive 300 GB filled with videos.
Had a gig 120 miles out decided just to bring it with me in case I needed a couple more songs that may not have been on my gig machine
Prior to the gig I plugged in the external.. hard drive recognized but nothing showing anything.... went to disk management nada.. zilch... To date I still have the drive.... with what I hope is still 300GB of music videos.....

Two days after that I am at work.. somebody wanted to to test a program to convert something to 3gp... so since i lived close to work.. .I went back... not having enough time to boot my comp copy etc... it just picked up another backup 500Gb hard drive the test went ok... 3gp worked. There was a knock on the door... I turned to look around.... I hear this sound... on the ground was my hard drive... unfortunately the arm of the chair caught the usb cable still attached to the computer.... Until today.... no response... a couple thousand vids... remixes... video acapellas down the tube.....

Fortunately for me.... I had my gig machine..... it took me nearly a year to get back most of the vids that were gone... and i still have dem.....

Now I have at least 1TB of vids on my gig machine...... and just about to backup.......lord..... and I am hearing these woes within hours of each other from you users, funk.. now you....

Need to get dem darn hard drives and start backing up pronto

Posted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 8:00 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

What a nightmare off a gig spinnaJ, I haven't had one that bad yet and I hope I don't.

I think you was very professional how you dealt with it.

And I hope your war wounds...hehe, heal soon mate.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 3:26 am
Man and I thought my video freezing was bad.... Good luck

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 3:27 am
Hmm tayla, that wasn't convicing to turn the devil to toons.. hehe showdown later again:P Starting of the BPL for both,, great ain't u think;)

Ricardo, yah that too is a nightmare.... i been tru dat too n i understand what u mean;)

Digitalwiz, U mean the data, video etc lost in ur initial hd? Shit.. i think i have to go n check it n that could be awful just to start all over again:(..
yes man i will certainly buy a back up hd once i figured out wat happen to ext hd. I do have another hd around but that not complete or up to date to my defunct hd. Anyway if u have any suggestion, i would glad to hear it. thanks;)

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 3:32 am
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
spinnaj> What was the make and manufacurer of that external harddrive? I had a buddy samething happended to (well just the hard drive not all your other bad luck). He brought it over and it was not showing up, it wanted to be formatted. However he had alot of video files on it, so I have a machine with software that I was able to recover the majority of his data, afterwards I did a low level format on the HDD and did some test. The drive has been running fine since. Just one of those wierd things.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 9:51 am
this hard drive issue... seems to be plaguing the best of use..

What solutions do you suggest.....is best taking in time factor and reliability

Mirror drives/?
Backup external hard drives?
backup on dual layer DVDS?

give me your answers please

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 9:53 am
digitalwiz wrote :
this hard drive issue... seems to be plaguing the best of use..

What solutions do you suggest.....is best taking in time factor and reliability

Mirror drives/?
Backup external hard drives?
backup on dual layer DVDS?

give me your answers please

Yikes! Sorry you had to go through that. I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Carry two hard drives in separate cases with you just in case. Always keep an exact backup of your main drive. I don't know how you transport your drives, but you may want to consider putting them in something padded to keep the vibrations to a minimum. Strong vibrations and hard drives do not mix.

2. Get a laptop mounting rack. You can find them at www.djdeals.com. That will keep the lappy (and any other equipment you want to put on it) from falling off the table.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 10:04 am
funnyb0nz wrote :
What was the make and manufacurer of that external harddrive?

Hi funnyb0nz, it is from prestigio "externo series" 500gb

Below are some of the specs.

Model Code:
EXT-3.5-500GB-72-SATA

Capacity:
500GB

Model Description:
The 3.5” eSATA Drive offers customers a storage solution with high performance, reliability and convenience. With up to 3GB/s transfer rate, the Prestigio Externo 3.5” eSATA Drive offers ideal performance with any application, from video editing to lightning-fast backups.

3.5” eSATA Drive has OS/DATA Backup and Restore capability which prevents data loss in event of any system crash. Password protection is also available.

For a complete peace of mind and ease of data transfer, look nowhere else.

Specifications:
# High Speed SATA Interface
# eSATA and USB 2.0 Connections
# OS/Data Backup & Restore (FarStone Drive Clone version 3.0)
# Multiple Drives and Partition Cloning
# Password Protection
# Built in A/C Power and Cooling Fan
# eSATA Bracket for PC
# 3-Year Warranty, 1 to 1 Exchange

I have check n i think there is problem with this hd. What hd do ur buddy use btw? Thanks.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 10:15 am
wow , that was bad ..... i admire yer stick to it though ...... i keep a back up external , with the same music on it

do that , get the lappy holder , and maybe get your mac ready ......

i keep a folder on the gig external called "transfer to backup " and every so often , i uhhh , transfer to back up ......... to a folder called incoming .....

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 10:18 am
djderricke wrote :

1. Carry two hard drives in separate cases with you just in case. Always keep an exact backup of your main drive. I don't know how you transport your drives, but you may want to consider putting them in something padded to keep the vibrations to a minimum. Strong vibrations and hard drives do not mix.

2. Get a laptop mounting rack. You can find them at www.djdeals.com. That will keep the lappy (and any other equipment you want to put on it) from falling off the table.

1. yup i always do carry 2 external hd but yesterday i decided to bring one cos the other hd did not have the up to date data n it is not for my back up too:(. Abt putting considered putting them i something padded, yes that is a good suggestion mate.

2. I use a laptop stand n it fell cos i think maybe the stage is not firm enough n due to the performance as they jamming , the vibration n movement maybe takes its part for that. N i still can't believe that my laptop fell. It just not my day man:(.

Regards.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 10:25 am
well dude try not to get 2 bummed ......

yer toughness and charisma are visible from space .......

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 10:35 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
just not your weekend mate, nor mine, i was expecting to come away with three points today, lol.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 1:00 pm
Maybe a little velcro on your stand and laptop to hold it down. Which I recomend everyone doing... you never know when your gonna get some bad vibes.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 1:42 pm
Check out the stands on djdeals.com. They have the kind that CLAMP to the table, and your laptop clamps onto the stand. That way, nothing will knock it over.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 4:23 pm
59%