Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: SBDJ ScrollText - Page: 30

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Scott, please compile it new and i will test ist on my desk

Posted Thu 16 Jan 14 @ 4:08 pm
I don't know why or how, but I've seen this crop up both with win8 and win8.1. but only on my home computer
I re-installed directx runtime thing (even tho micro$oft says you don't have to) and the plug-ins and they went back to being usable. has never happened with work computers which are all win7. just win8. coincidence?

Posted Mon 20 Jan 14 @ 2:35 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I had the same problem but was able to fix it. Although I really don't know what exactly was the problem and I'm a little bit confused now.

First some technical details:

System is a Asus Ultrabook with i5 and up-to-date Win 8.1.

Now the story:

Because Scrolltext v2 kept crashing my system I decided to run v1 again.
But after installing I couldn't see any button or sliders (like in the picture DJ Lucky Luciano postet above).

So I made sure I have installed every C++ runtime environment ( I know, I needn't, but why not).
Reinstalled DX 9 again, just to make sure, even though I did that a week or two ago.

Restarted and checked VDJ. Still no working plugin.
Checked in system32 and systemWOW64 that the file d3dx9_42.dll is actually there. It was.

So i decided to try every d3dx9_42.dll of every DX redist I could find at: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=directx%20end-user%20runtimes

I started with the newest to oldest. Extracted the packages, exctracted the cab files and manually copied the .DLLs to their particular paths. Between copying and testing I restartet my system. No luck. The plugin won't work.

Reaching the DirectX End-User Runtimes (November 2008) package I stopped doing this, as it seems, d3dx9_42.dll first appeard with the DirectX End-User Runtimes (August 2009) package.

I nearly gave up, but had that stupid idea to ask RobRoy if he could send me his .DLLs, because he has the plugin working on his Win 8 laptop.
Luckily he sent me the files just a couple of mins later (thanks again Rob!) and you know what... copied them, restarted system, started VDJ and the plugin WORKS!!!

Here I'm... confused and I totally have no idea why it is now working???

So, Scott... any idea?
If you'd like I could sent you the working and a not working dll. Maybe you could tell the difference between them and check your plugin why it's working with one and not with the other.

Posted Fri 24 Jan 14 @ 8:37 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Sure, PM me some download links as that is tres strange.

Posted Fri 24 Jan 14 @ 9:11 am
Ok, this is really weird...

But at least I'm now able to tell what went wrong.

Here the solution:

Somehow, and I don't know why, both .dlls get into the wrong directory.
Analysing the DX redist packages shows that in cab Aug2009_d3dx9_42_x86 is a 1.8 MB DLL. (32bit version)
and in cab Aug2009_d3dx9_42_x64 is a 2.36 MB DLL for 64 bit systems.

The installation routine of DX setup puts this files into the "correct" folder. x64 to syswow64 and x86 to system32.
But that way the plugin won't work.

So I just copied d3dx9_42.dll from sysWOW64 into system32 and the other way round the dll from system32 into sysWOW64...

That's it... and that's also exactly the filestructure what Rob sent me...

I don't know why the two d3dx9_42.dll are of different size and what exactly the do, but that and the following is the problem:

wikipedia quote wrote :

The operating system uses the %SystemRoot%\system32 directory for its 64-bit library and executable files. This is done for backward compatibility reasons, as many legacy applications are hardcoded to use that path. When executing 32-bit applications, WoW64 transparently redirects 32-bit DLLs to %SystemRoot%\SysWoW64, which contains 32-bit libraries and executables. 32-bit applications are generally not aware that they are running on a 64-bit operating system. 32-bit applications can access %SystemRoot%\System32 through the pseudo directory %SystemRoot%\sysnative.

There are two Program Files directories, both visible to both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. The directory that stores the 32 bit files is called Program Files (x86) to differentiate between the two, while the 64 bit maintains the traditional Program Files name without any additional qualifier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

So, in theory, it would be possible to just copy the file from system32 to sysWOW64, but I did not test that.

My assumtion: The plugin is either using hardcode path to the file or doesn't use the right system path variables.
Or something is wrong in Win 8(.1)...

Is this possible?

Posted Fri 24 Jan 14 @ 11:22 am
Quote :
The installation routine of DX setup puts this files into the "correct" folder. x64 to syswow64 and x86 to system32

SysWOW64 is where 32-bit DLLs go. I've just checked, my d3dx 32-bit DLLs are in SysWOW64, and my 64-bit DLLs are in System32 as expected and the plugin works fine.

There are no hardcoded DLL paths in my plugins and no use of environment variables either - the OS usually directs to the correct file location. You only ever specify a path if you preload and I never do that. In any case if the 64 bit DLLs where in SysWOW64 then even preloading them would fail.

I've not come across this issue on any of my 64-bit windows 7,8 or 8.1 machines.

Posted Fri 24 Jan 14 @ 11:23 am
I can't say why this is happening. But thats what caused the problem on my system.

Posted Fri 24 Jan 14 @ 11:43 am
guess this doesnt work on a macbook pro :(

Posted Sat 01 Feb 14 @ 1:08 pm

Posted Sat 01 Feb 14 @ 1:45 pm
Well your conversations are way beyond my knowledge, but I'm going to throw this in anyway. SBDJ if I compose multiple messages I cannot disable them. They all run continuously whether they are enabled or disabled. When I delete a message, then close VDJ, when I reopen VDJ, the message is back again. Wndows 8.1. Any ideas?

Posted Thu 06 Feb 14 @ 10:27 am
Did you save your changes to the text before closing vdj?

Posted Tue 11 Feb 14 @ 3:27 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Yep, that will do it, you must save the changes before closing the plug-in or you'll wind up with this problem.

Save using the same name and just over write the existing file, then open again and you'll see the change..

Good Luck

Posted Tue 11 Feb 14 @ 8:48 am
HI

hope you will modify it for V8, most works

i like v1 more than v2.

by the way is there an way for an live scrolltext? Someone is typing on an connectetd PC maybe live Comments on an Soccer game and it scrolls on screen?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 12:58 am
There's a big 'v8' update to ScrollText in the works. It's why there hasn't been any update to the older versions ;)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 4:32 am
hi can you post a link for the vers 8 update? also i am unable to get the scroll text to work on my mac. can you advise me on this please?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:36 am
It's not yet released. I've got a massive amount of work to do on a massive amount of plugins!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:50 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'll say... half the VDJ plugins in existence are yours! For your sake, I hope porting stuff to v8 doesn't involve too much rewriting... "When it's ready", eh? ;)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 12:31 pm
hi guys, could someone pm me instructions to installing the sbdj scroll text plugin on a mac please? would be a huge help

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 5:08 am
this is how the plugin show for me on my mac. can anyone help me to get this working please? thanks

DJ Lucky Luciano wrote :
if i click on it
it looks like that its not there no information of the plugin
no buttons, nothing

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 5:10 am

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 4:30 pm
99%