Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What's the difference between VirtualDJ and Stanton's Final Scratch??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

xspotxPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi all,

can somebody please tell me the exact difference between virtualdj and final scratch?

i mean, 2 virtualdj timecoded vinyls plus virtualdj software plus a low-latency usb soundcard make together around $300 or something - the stanton soundcard interface is not even needed here, and i don't think that the latency on the stanton is any better than on virtualdj, because it's driven via usb, which ALWAYS has a certain amount of latency.

Stanton's final scratch is more than double that price - so what's missing on virtualdj?? is it really better regarding the latency? is the feeling while scratching or adjusting beats any better? or is it just that stanton spends far more on marketing and therefore has to sell their gear for a higher price??

it would be nice to have some advices from people who have really used this stuff (preferrably both setups) and can therefore provide real life experiences. if it turns out that virtualdj really has the same features for a lower price, then they could even make this a sticky ;)

peace. spot

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 10:00 am
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
Very quickly, I had both, sold my FS. Main thing I did not like was there were lots of groundlooping problems with the system. It also seemed like there were more wires to hook up, along with the unit. I like VDJ program lots better and it is easier to use. The main thing was the gound. I'm sure I could think of more if I had more time. I just think VDJ is more progressive and a better program.

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 11:28 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Virtual dj is way better, don't be fooled by the price just believe it.
Search this forum...
Final scratch was just the first program introduced timecode vinyl, but now is history.
And indeed stanton is a huge company with good marketing, but Atomix is a flexible team and very quick to updates.
Just see for yourself the progress of the program during the latest year
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/history.html
and then look for the final scratch or other programs updates at the same time.
Note.. these updates are free from day one, while you have to pay for final scratch major updates.

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 8:35 pm
The biggest thing is final scratch uses a dedicated soundcard interface setup. VDJ gives you the option of choosing the soundcard you need and you can upgrade later. If you are just mixing and want left and right deck separate ouputs then a standard 4 channel card will do. I fyou are looking for scratvhing then a 4 channel maya will do but the you can go into a pro 8 channel out and go wild which is not available with the final scratch.

Final scratch 2 is just come out and is already behind.

Long live VDJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I just hope they fix the MAYA PCI MK II ASIO problem soon.

Posted Sat 08 Jan 05 @ 4:14 am
Okay, this all sounds very, very promising! I'm not a DJ yet, but planning on becoming one really soon. So what's up with the latency - is a usb interface good enough, or maybe usb 2.0, or should i maybe even go for a card with firewire??

Also, what do you need 8 outs for? Is that for 4 turntables or something? If yes, isn't that possible with the Audiotrak Maya Ex7?

As of now, I am looking at the following sound cards:

Audiotrak Maya Ex5 (usb)
Terratec Phase 24 (firewire)
M-Audio firewire Audiophile

I know there are some price differences in those cards, maybe someone can tell me the more expensive cards are worth the investment?

By the way this is awesome forum, not so much flaming and bs talk going on here, seems like there's some cool and not too nerdy people hanging around here. I like this!

Posted Sat 08 Jan 05 @ 10:36 am
There is a misunderstanding about usb 1.1 vs 2.0 for many people.
The real difference is not speed but bandwich (12mb/s for 1.1, 480 for 2.0)
Usb 1.1 bus can handle up to 8 mono channels up to 48 khz (example maya44usb, esi gigaport)
with the same performance (latency) as usb 2.0
If you need more channels (not for virtual dj) then the choises are fireware or usb 2.0

For timecode with vdj only maya44usb, forget all the others.
The other solutions you're refering to are good only if no timecode is needed.

Posted Sat 08 Jan 05 @ 11:27 am
hmm to be honest i don't really get that - why can't the other audio interfaces handle the timecode as good as well? And what's the difference between the maya44 usb and the maya ex5?

I'm also wondering why there isn't a MAC VERSION available! I just discovered that! I mean, I have gone to quite some shows were laptops were involved or used for djing, and EVERYBODY, i mean EVEVERYBODY, was using a mac! I don't wanna start the old "mac is more stable than pc" discussion again, but I still think it should be essential that a mac version will come out!

peace. spot

Posted Sat 08 Jan 05 @ 12:45 pm
sorry to bump this one, but I'm sure there are some more people in this forum who might be able to help me out...

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 1:57 pm
Maya44usb has good asio drivers and is perfect for timecode setup with 2 turntables.
It works just out of the box.
Maya Ex is very different, if you dont need timecode it is perfect for 2 outputs to external mixer.
But i dont recommend it for turntables.
I have both ..well sold the Ex after bought the 44.
What else you want to know, i dont wont to confuse you with technical information and specs, thats it.
(but you can search the forum)
Mac version is just not available, but vdj is very stable at the pc platform.
And ....somehow, these days windows are stable too (miracle), days have changed...

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 2:34 pm
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
is it an external soundcard your after? ie for laptop or will it be for a desktop pc?

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 5:42 pm
@apopsis: go ahead with the technical specs, i can handle that :)
i still don't get why a usb interface (maya44) is supposed to be better than a firewire interface (such as the terratec phase 24) which should have an even lower latency - and basically all soundcards should be able to handle the timecode, or not??

@Pjay: yes, i'm planning to use it on a laptop. I don't wanna be a dorm room dj only :)

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry xspotx no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Sun 16 Jan 05 @ 3:22 pm
hi again, I'm still waiting for some answers here - i'd especiall be really happy if anyone could tell me what's going on with A MAC VERSION of virtualdj!

peace. spot

Posted Sun 23 Jan 05 @ 3:58 pm
wreckHome userMember since 2005
This is a very interesting thread. I hope someone can help me. Straight up, I would like to find out if I can just get an ASIO supported sound card (external), get a virtual dj software and just use any of the time-coded vinyl (especially now that traktor lets you select the time-code of the vinyl)?

I hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks

My plan is to get an M-Audio external (usb) soundcard with ASIO support, get serato or FS vinyls and just use the downloadable serato software or even the latest Traktor software.

What you guys think?

Posted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 5:02 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have never used FS but can speak to some of the other items. My understanding from other threads about people who tried different timecoded vinyl is that it doesn't work. Not sure what the benefit of different time code on the vinyl, although I'm sure there must be one. You can try other ASIO soundcards and they might work. Maya 44 definitely works. I've heard from other threads people having problems with other soundcards. Like apopsis states...right out of the box Maya 44 works.

Latency isn't an issue using a USB soundcard, which I use on a laptop. Bottom line, Maya 44 USB, VDJ Time coded vinyls, turntables, external mixer........works perfect. Just like playing a vinyl record.

Posted Fri 08 Apr 05 @ 8:10 pm
Hello everybody,

I was reading up a little on your previous posts and alot of people recommend the maya 44 usb soundcard, which looks pretty sound for what it is. I hope this doesnt come across as a stupid question, but vdj would work pretty well with any usb audio interface right? Im looking into something that combines both and audio and a midi interface (like an edirol fa-66 say).

Also, how does the setup go, by the way?Do both turntables hook up to the soundcard, soundcard to laptop via usb, soundcards output into the mixer?

Talk to you soon.

Ness

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 4:00 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)