Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Post results for Serato TCV with ver5.1 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

A++ VDJ for incorperating the noise map TCV engine in the new version 5.1!!

I have had VDJ TCV for some time now all has been good.. except loud bass messing with tcv signal or the slightest bump to the turntable. So I set out to test out other vinyl with vdj now that they have different tcv engines.

First I tried torq TCV since I use the M-Audio Conectiv.
1 I put the torq vinyl on the TT
2 I then select the PCDJ engine then calibrate. Then VDJ says miss pinky version 5 detected. So I think all is good untill
3 I then played a tune with torq TCV and it sounded eh ok a little blip or cut here and there still not good I skiped to the end of song this sounded flat _ _ _ bad clips blips cuts no way would this fly.
4 I messed with some setting to no avail. I think miss pinky TCV works fine VDJ just not Torq/Miss Pinky TCV M-Audio is probably doing some thing a little different.

Second I went out and got me some new BLUE Rane Serato Scratch Live second edition TCV's
1 I put the SSL vinyl on the TT
2 I then select the Noise Map engine then calibrate. Then VDJ says noise-map SSL CV02A detected.
3 I then played a tune and OMG how great is this. Vinyl's worked perfect!!!! plus I did the old finger tap on the deck to see how well the tcv is reading(or seeing how easy it is to F_ _ _ the tcv signal up) I had to tap really hard!!! with VDJ TCV I could breath on the deck wrong and it would loose signal.... well not quite but a light tap would cause in break track being played.
4 I then turned my settings to the max performance then set my latency to auto and set my Concetiv latency to 384 and I get no skip on playing track when back spining or cueing next record. With VDJ TCV I had to set performances lower to get rid of the pop in playing track while cueing another mainly backspining quickly to the begining of track being cued

So for me I have had great results with useing Serato TCV with VDJ, but please others post results of your results as well I and other users are waiting to hear from you!!

Posted Sun 22 Jun 08 @ 2:43 am
im haveing all the same problems you are with with vdj tcv! i just bought 4 new ones, groove glide cleaner, and new m447 needles! the work fine but i have to turn down the bass or i get problems! (i have the silence turned all the way up in timecode config too) the slightest bump messes up my signal and i just hate it.... imma bout to go to guitar center and get ssl records. if they have the new traktor scratch records, i might get those and see what happens!!! bbl

Posted Mon 23 Jun 08 @ 6:45 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
JayKline wrote :
except loud bass messing with tcv signal or the slightest bump to the turntable

Do you mean that the Bass sounding around the room badly affects your VDJ timecode signal?

Posted Mon 23 Jun 08 @ 6:52 pm
i don't wanna speak for him but i think he means the vibrations from the bass feeding back thru the turntable messing with the timecode. i have the same problem when i use vdj tcv........

Posted Mon 23 Jun 08 @ 8:12 pm
Yea it is the bass but more the vibrations from the bass or the slightest tap on the turntable will cause a skip in music. Not sure why. I have tried many things users have sugested on these forums like silence setting, proper setup of turntable and needle, and performance settings. I have had poor results with bouncy dance floors as well. I hope this helped out. As well my vdj tcv was wore out lots of needle scratches and I had lots of little music skips from dirt or something. It always sucks right when every song you play has a skip blerp wanawa right in the middle of the breakdown. LOL

I do not know which version vdj tcv I have. Is there any way to tell?

Also I made this post so that people with this setup VDJ w/Serato Vinyl could share their experinces with the noisemap feature in VDJ 5.1. I know there is more of us out there speak up!!

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 2:04 am
How high is your gain? Cause you can still get pretty decent results with the gain lowered. At least to a point where you still get 100% signal.

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 3:44 am
JayKline wrote :
my vdj tcv was wore out lots of needle scratches and I had lots of little music skips from dirt or something. It always sucks right when every song you play has a skip blerp wanawa right in the middle of the breakdown. LOL

I do not know which version vdj tcv I have. Is there any way to tell?

Well, the scratched out vinyl doesn't help, if they have grooves close together then they're prob 3rd generation, the older ones are flat. What kind of tables and needles are you using?.......Since you say noisemap vinyl works fine, the tables and vdj don't have a problem, try adjusting your perfomance settings when using the vdj vinyl....try breaking the other side in.

JayKline wrote :
Also I made this post so that people with this setup VDJ w/Serato Vinyl could share their experinces with the noisemap feature in VDJ 5.1. I know there is more of us out there speak up!!

Noise map and the timecode engine are my fave tweaks in this version, I get the 2nd gen multi-colored vinyl for cheap($10) and I think it tracks better than the vdj's own. They are real light, work extremely well with most mats, old or new. Needle-drop is precise but the biggest plus for me is the availability....rock on!

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 12:14 pm
For all of you using noisemap. Do u get 100% signal with both side A & B or just side B?

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 2:02 pm
I get good signal on both sides but you have to re cal if you switch sides each side is different.

Posted Tue 24 Jun 08 @ 7:28 pm
this is the best VDJ has ever worked for me. 5.1 is the S_ )T. it work great with my serato vinyl (even the bootlegg white ones), my VV vinyl and my VDJ vinyl. I have a new love for vdj now hopefully it will work this good on mac with it gets released.

Posted Wed 25 Jun 08 @ 1:34 am
Cool! Thanks for the post DJkboogie. Keep the comments comming people!

Posted Wed 25 Jun 08 @ 1:45 pm
OH yea I guess I will list my equipment

GiG computer
Hp DV9205us Laptop
XP downgraded from vista
2 Gigs of ram
120gig inside
120gig outside
Usb M-Audio Conectiv 4x4 soundcard

Recording PC
p4
XP
2gig
PCI M-audio delta 44
120gig

Software
VDJ #1
TORQ 1.000 what ever they want you to pay for 1.5!

TCV
VDJ 1.0
Torq Miss Pinky ver5
RANE Serato Second Edition

Mixer
Vestax vmc-002xl
2ch xlr out

Decks
2 Technics SL-1200M3D

Needles
ortofon concorde dj s

Studio Sound
AMP
Alesis RA-100

Speakers
Event 20/20s

PA Sound
AMP
Mackie FR M1400i for subs

Speakers
2 JBL 15" Eon P1
2 15" B&C PZB 40 Sub Drivers in custom cabinets

I use studio sound for booth monitoring @ events

In this pic you can see JBL P1's and subs. Lights are by my friend scott. This is @ my wedding.

This is my setup @ home

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 1:32 am
I get a "TIMECODE NOT FOUND ERROR" in 5.1 Under noisemap and searto second edition vinyls.

Solution?

Posted Tue 15 Jul 08 @ 12:37 pm
Nice setup JayKline, really like the look of the blue vinyl, I may get one blue and one red if they work really well. I've had lots of the Numark Vinyl and they've always arrived slightly warped, this hasn't led to any tracking issues and I get 100% signal with a latency of 64 samples (1ms) using advanced scratch and simple master tempo with no pops/clicks but the pitch is slightly unstable in the middle of the vinyl. Fortunately it doesn't throw off a mix like my first pair of official (pre Numark) vinyl.

How well does VirtualDJ work with the CV02? Is the pitch constant, i.e. few if any fluctuations? I usually have my responsiveness set between 90 and 150ms. There is one little thing about the CV02 I'd like to know too, although it isn't a deal-breaker. If you needle drop but back cue the record, does VirtualDJ know the absolute (whether in smart or absolute) position of the vinyl. Obviously this has always been supported going forwards with the Numark vinyl, but the Serato vinyl's code allow for tracking of position in reverse too.

Posted Tue 15 Jul 08 @ 1:33 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Andrew87 wrote :
does VirtualDJ know the absolute (whether in smart or absolute) position of the vinyl. Obviously this has always been supported going forwards with the Numark vinyl, but the Serato vinyl's code allow for tracking of position in reverse too.

Yes it now works with the new noisemap engine in v5.1 of VirtualDJ Pro

Posted Tue 15 Jul 08 @ 4:04 pm
I'll vouch for that.....

Posted Tue 15 Jul 08 @ 9:13 pm
Has anyone had success with the browser track on the serato vinyls (or even the vdj vinyls for that matter) ? My problem is, I can browse, but when I drop the needle back on the beginning of the record, it scrolls a couple more lines before it loads a song, so I can never get the song I want to load.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 08 @ 12:28 pm
just want to mention that the serato vinyls seem to work well, and I get 100% on both decks, but I can't test for more than a few minutes because I'm running a demo, anyways, even with one vdj record on one side, and a serato record on the other side, I can feel and hear very little difference, I have noticed that needle drops are better on the vdj vinyl, with the serato vinyl I get a warbled sound when i firts drop it. I am a battle dj, so I've made a lot of 13 min. tracks that are like skipless records, it seems like latency is lower, or timecode is tighter with vdj vinyls, but it's still great to have them supported at all.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 08 @ 12:46 pm
That's useful information, thanks. It doesn't surprise me that VirtualDJ would handle its own vinyl better after a couple of generations versus a new implementation, but I just need to find somewhere reliable that sell Numark Vinyl to the UK. The company I usually use are reliable and did replace my first pair of vinyl I bought from them, but I've never been able to get a perfect pair like you would from a normal vinyl at a record shop; I think it's mainly to do with the orders originating from America and then going through a couple of European countries too. My main attraction to the Serato vinyl is not the colours or the technical ability to track absolute position in reverse, but that many reputable dealers have them instore, in the UK today and dealing with a warped vinyl can be sorted out immediately.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 08 @ 12:54 pm
SSL records work fine here too but there`s one thing that should be added to the next VDJ version: The silence slider should be set automatically when using autoconfig (does not work with SSL records yet)

Posted Wed 16 Jul 08 @ 7:13 pm
80%