Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Sound Quality of Soundcards

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am currently a Club and Pub DJ who brings my laptop and hooks into different external mixers at different places all week long. Last night at a club I was promoting at, a DJ who uses the Original Automix program showed up with a I believe a Motu Professional Soundcard. He paid around $700 US dollars for it. I use a Maya EX Usb soundcard. My question to all of you, is how big of a sound quality difference is there between a $89 card and a $700 card such as this. Granted I am not looking to spend that kind of money, but I am opening my own club and was wondering if for a permanent set-up in a Digital DJ booth, putting a soundcard like that would make a huge sound quality improvement.

Thoughts?

PS: He also had a compressor hooked up to it before he hooked into the external mixer of the club.

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 12:25 pm
al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's all about the converters. If i'm not mistaking, MOTU are actually producing their on converters. Converter is the chip which make the digital sound to analog and the other way arround (if recording).

I've heard soundcards from Echo, RME, Audiotrack, ProTools (Digidesign), Audigy, M-Audio etc.

I once had an Echo Gina card which gave away and replaced with an RME 9632. I heard better sound with the RME. Not a huge difference, but on a trained hear, it's noticable. More punch, better high frequencies, generaly, more crystal sound. Echo was a bit "doll" in comparison to RME. For once again, the difference was not big. But those two soundcards costs about the same.

I once heard a very expensive RME (studio quality), and even though i did not have another soundcard available so i can compare, the sound of that soundcard was increadible.

My opinion is, if you got the money, pay for an expensive sound card. If not, it's not something that you should be worried about if you DJ.

With DJ pc systems, it's much more important to have a soundcard with GOOD drivers. Not all drivers are mature enough to trust on live DJ.

You WILL hear better sound on the very expensive soundcards. That's why they are expensive :)

If you got the money, get an RME or MOTU (be sure VDJ work with their ASIO drivers. I doubt it).

Alex

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 12:47 pm
al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
As for the compressor, that's for keeping the level constant (same level between two songs)
I personaly don't like compressors on the PA, i prefer gaining the low level song from the mixer.
VDJ does a pretty good job playing all songs to 0dB.

Alex

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 12:49 pm
Thanks

Posted Sun 02 Jan 05 @ 12:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)