Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Starting out takes practice

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It takes a lot of playing around to really get to grips with Virtual DJ.

I have read the forums, tried the demo, and read the manual...

- I really having trouble getting VDJ to "play and walk away". I can't get it to just play a bunch of tracks non stop.

- I can't get it to stop trying to match the tempo/pitch of the previous track (want it to stay "flat")

- Also can't get the crossfader to stay still. I don't ned the thing to crossfade for simple radio mixes. Can't it stay in the middle?

Hey - not really looking for everyone to chime in with answers, I'm really just venting and setting myself a task list. I'll figure this thing out eventually! (Although advice welcome!)

Posted Mon 27 Dec 04 @ 4:52 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Not sure because I don't understand everything in english. My first language is french.

(1) - I don't really understand your problem.
(2) - Try to unlock your previous track beatlock
(3) - Try to unlock the automatic mix and the Crossfader will stay at the place you dragged it.

Clax

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 1:05 am
Hi Clax,

This will just take persistance and time on my part. I have just been too busy at this time of the year.

Overall, I want to create a playlist, and "press play" and let virtual DJ play the music by itself. I am thinking of "dinner" music at a wedding for example, or background at an event where fancy mixing is not needed.

I want to tell it to play music like on the radio - no beatmixing, no fast crossfading, just fade from one song to the next.

Also if a song finishes "cold" - ends FAST on a beat instead of fading out, I want VDJ to wait until the song is finished before starting the next one.

Give me time, I'll make it work the way I want eventually.

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 2:59 am
azawakhHome userMember since 2004
Don't kmow if this works in ProEd of VDJ but it does in Mixstation 2. In Fame settings: Disable Auto BMP, Enable Force Fade and Fade Length 1s.

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 6:08 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The full version has this same option.

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 6:43 am
IDJ4U

A word of advice. Take the time and read over the manual.

http://www.virtualdj.com/support/manual/ (Make sure to look at vdj 2.0)

It will solve many of your problems. And of course we are all here to help you through but I really think you need to start there.

VDJ is a wonderful tool. I am certain you will enjoy the program once you get used to the features.

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 3:48 pm
I am reading the manual - again. I like to think I'm patient, and I'm certainly in no hurry to master this software. I'm doing fine with CD for now. I did not find the points I needed in the manual the first few times I read it, but now I have been using the software a little moresome of the manual might make more sense this time. ;)

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 5:50 pm
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well, I've been using the software for over a year and I can't figure out how to make autoplay work without auto pitch reset either as of version 2.06. On my setup, it no longer seems to allow simple crossfades as determined by length only. I don't want it to choose it's own auto mix style and change pitch, it sounds really bad for the eclectic music I throw in sometimes. I've use force fade and all other settings I could find in config. to no avail. Autoplay where you just hit play, and walked away worked perfect in the previous version. You just setup length of fade and it went down your list, sounded great. Don't know what happened in 2.06.

There was a thread on this earlier but for some reason it was shut down.

Posted Wed 29 Dec 04 @ 10:59 am
the automix mode of play might be updated and worked on for future release of Virtual DJ :)

Posted Wed 29 Dec 04 @ 11:37 am
Sounds like Keyon knows the problems I'm having. Although I have managed to stop the pitch from auto adjusting, I now can't get it to "ignore" what it thinks is the best start point and tracks start at the vocals instead of at the beginning of the software. I know I saw that point int he manual somewhere!!

Look, the "boldest" way to describe what I'm looking for is to say that I'm considering using OTS for "dinner music". I can tell it to play from a specific dinner music databse (driven by ID3 tags I think) and walk away.

I'm not looking for total automation in VDJ - I know there are other programs out there for that. I want to be able to trust it to play 2 or 3 songs nicely without my assistance occasionally. I just need a few songs to mix like you were listening to a radio. As song 1 is fading out, song 2 starts. It starts at full volume too, it doesn't fade in. Also, if song 1 finishes COLD, the 2nd song doesn't start until the 1st one ENDS.

For anyone unsure what I mean by "cold finish", take a remix track, something commercial like an Xmix or Ultimix remix. Usually there's a beat break at the end. The song ends cold on a beat. It doesn't fade out. There are commecrial songs that finish COLD as well, not just remixes. Nothing worse than a cold finish song that someone fades out.

Am I being picky? Maybe, but I plan to use VDJ to make my show easier and better, and I don't expect to have to compromise my exisitying standards. Maybe it's just me.

Love the software though and even though "dinner music" is not up to my personal standard, that's not a fault in the product, and it's nothin against the software.

Posted Wed 29 Dec 04 @ 3:02 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)