Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Which CD players & Mixers are best to use with VDJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am putting together a system, I need some assistance, can someone advise me, which cd players and mixers are the best to use with the VDJ?

I was thinking about the Pioneer 1000 MK3 and DJM 800... would really appreciate it...

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 9:48 am

My opinion

BEST :
CDJ 1000 + PIONEER 800 mixer

or more plug n play, with great performance :
CDJ 400 + Ecler Nuo4 or Ecler Evo5 mixer

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 12:36 pm
ok... jus one more question... will all the features of the Pioneer 1000 be operational when use as a controller for VDJ?

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 2:23 pm

yes. all features on a CD player will be operationals.
Exception being features that alters the timecode signal quality, such as effects

Play, stop, loop, cue, pitch, jogwheel, etc will work.

Display on the CDJ 1000 will NOT show VDJ track info, as there is no real data connection between the player and the program.

For something that give even track titles, and more, you need a dedicated software controller/cd player, such as the Numark iCDX, Pioneer CDJ-400 or Denon's new one (forgot the name, looks great)

If you are NOT a super hardcore scratch DJ, the CDJ 400 or the new Denon might be a better choice for you.
Less hazzle, and controls VirtualDJ without timecode. Even has a soundcard included (at least the CDJ-400 has)

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 3:02 pm

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 3:04 pm
are u refering to the Denon 5000 series...?

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 5:52 pm
Hey Norway.. i was checking out the specs on the CDJ 400, it is truly a versatile player.... but i am bit confuse... won't I be needing a VirtualVinyl and two Pioneer CDJ400 with a DJM 800 Pioneer mixer... then I will be set?

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 6:14 pm

The thing with CDJ-400 and the Denon (even Numark iCDX), is that all of them play regular CD's, but are also software controllers by design (midi/hid), so they control VirtualDJ WITHOUT the need of a timecode CD.

So you do not need Virtual Vinyl no, you can use your version of VDJ ;)

And if you want a mixer that is a real hardware mixer, that at the same time also sends midi signals (to control VDJ), there are a few choices :
- Pioneer DJM 800
- Pioneer DJM 700 (I think? its new)
- Ecler Nuo4
- Ecler Evo5
- Korg Zero4
etc

A setup with CDJ-400 and a midi mixer (Ecler or Pioneer) would be golden, and totally ROCK! ;)
Alternatively, if you are a HARDCORE (and I mean hardcore DMC style) scratch DJ, real turtables or CDJ 1000 would be a choice.
But the CDJ400 and the Denon can scratch decent too... ;) (the Numark one cant scratch that good)

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 6:31 pm

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 6:33 pm

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 6:36 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
dj-in-norway wrote :
CDJ400 and the Denon can scratch decent too... ;) (the Numark one cant scratch that good)

As stand alone players this might be true Rune but, as midi...native would be better. The iCDX is a very good natively supported unit. I am so far disappointed in my CDJ-400, but am patiently waiting for native support.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 6:39 pm
For the # numbered time - Native support for CDJ 400 is being added as we speak ;)

And CDJ400 is WAY BETTER than a ICDX by FAR...
Native plug-n-play support in VDJ is comming asap

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 6:40 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Personally, I think they make good cd players, but I'm not a big fan of pioneer mixers - overpriced and overrated. Cheap quality faders that wear out too quickly for a mixer in this price bracket - we have a 600 at the club wear I work that, it's less than a year old, and channel 1 is knackered already. Although it's a bad idea to do it, on a mixer like an Allen & Heath, the sound can be pushed into the red without it distorting. Do the same thing on a pioneer and it sounds nasty... Plug your SM58 into the mic socket, and see how there's no facility to turn the mic on and off.... to me these are not the marks of a pro mixer.

For the same money you could buy something a lot more solid, like A&H's xone series for example.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 7:10 pm
ok... Norway... don't think I'm stupid, but when it comes to this type stuff I am not as technically savy as u guys... jus walk me through this my Norway... how's it that I'll be able to manipualte the use of VDJ without VirtualVinyl or some other soundcard that link both the Mixer and CD player to my laptop, how would i connect... that part is eluding me... can u explain this for me pease?

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 7:25 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I know Rune, and I did say patiently waiting. I own both units and at this time I prefer the iCDX. I was only stating my considered personal opinion coming from a person who owns both units. Not disagreeing with you, sorry if my voicing my opinion offended you.

@Swizzle, through the USB interface. Even without a ASIO sound card you would still use the USB hub on your PC. Be it lap top, or desktop, or shuttle. Example: My (2) iCDX and DXM 01 USB mixer are all connected to my Laptop via a powered USB hub.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 9:19 pm
Ok.. i totally understand now... so in order to mixers and cd players without the use of ASIO an soundcard they would have to be able to plug n play on their own... ok...

Posted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 6:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)