Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hercules RMX - Not so Hot! - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Chris,

Do you mean that you were expecting to power a turn-table from the RMX? You were expecting to have 120V AC/220V AC from the RMX? Am I not sure to understand your question.

There is no power going through a phono line level.

Posted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 10:19 pm
@netlist: Of cause I don`t want to power the turntable from the RMX! But as I know a phono-signal is much lower than a line-level-signal, and the MK2 could only be used with phone-level-devices (such as turntables) when an external power supply was connected to the MK2. Without the external power supply the integrated phono-level-amp of the MK2 couldn`t work! So it was only possible to use line-level-devices without an external power supply.
But as the RMX doesn`t have the possibility to connect a supply, I hope that it doesn`t need to much power from the USB-port in phono-use, because I want to use it with timecodes and the pro of VDJ later. An external powered USB-HUB I don`t want.....!

Posted Tue 08 Apr 08 @ 9:43 am
Chris I understand your concerns and they are valid - Herc removed the PS option on the RMX and in the manual they print a warning that under some circumstances the RMX may draw more USB current than the port can supply and that the use of a powered USB hub *may* be required...
My MacBook Pro does complain sometimes (but not always!) when the RMX is plugged in, it tells me the USB port has been disabled but it hasn't and the RMX works fine most times, if not I unplug it and retry and that usually works. I haven't as yet needed to use it via a powered USB hub which is a good sign - Macs are notoriously fickle about USB devices and over-current protection.
Once it's plugged in and working I have never had it come up with over-current warnings whilst in use BUT I have never used any external sources whilst connected to my laptop (only whilst connected to my iMac) and I wonder if you may have a good point about the extra power that *may* be required to power the phono inputs/amplifier etc as I *am* having problems with the external inputs when I use the RMX with my iMac - I get nasty distortion and crackly sound from phono and a minidisc connected via RMX aux inputs.
(This may be nothing to do with the RMX, it could be a Mac problem or a Traktor problem as I also had a very similar sound problem when using a phono input on a Berhinger BCD3000 with Traktor on my Macs so it's just speculation at the moment and may be more to do with drivers and/or sound latency settings etc)
Anyway, it's early days s yet with the RMX - time will tell...

Here's some more of my thoughts and info:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64095

I'm using it with Traktor and after some midi tweaking I have it running close to perfect *for my needs*

Very happy with it so far but I do have concerns about the ext inputs and the lack of a power supply option, if that turns out to be a problem.

I must say though that it's great not to be tethered to a mains power lead - the MBP and the RMX make a perfect portable! Just plug in to an amp and away you go!
I got over 3hrs of music from this combo before the MBP battery hit the 'red' :)

Posted Tue 08 Apr 08 @ 5:22 pm
Thanks for your answer, Angryofmayfair!!!! :-)

Posted Tue 08 Apr 08 @ 7:44 pm
No probs, hope it helps.
FWIW, there may be another way around supplying USB power - there are leads around that have to be used with some ext USB HDD's - they have two USB connections on one end that allow you to supply power from two USB ports. That would be more than enough for the RMX as it works pretty much OK on one USB port but it's right on the limit so supplying power from 2 USB's should be fine.
The problem is that most of the double plug USB leads I have seen all have the small USB connector on the other end, designed for the small USB powered Ext HHD's - I haven't as yet seen one with the chunkier square USB plug that's needed for the RMX...

Posted Tue 08 Apr 08 @ 7:59 pm
angryofmayfair:

In the device manager, how much current is the DJ Console RMX asking for, after the USB enumeration ?

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 4:36 pm
Chris,

Regarding the phono level issue, it looks like another user (on the VDJ French forum) had the same kind of issue with the MK2..
To solve the issue, he used a higher voltage phonographic cartridge/needle from Shure (part M44-7).

It doesn't make sense to me that you had to use an external AC/DC adapter to have working phono inputs.

The A/DC adapter doesn't boost any voltage in the MK2, it won't add any gain on the inputs either. An opamp used as an input doesn't need that much current anyways.

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 4:47 pm
@dj_netlist: I don´t know, weather I had to use the MK2 with the external AC/DC adapter, but I only used it with it ;-)!
Another cartridge with an higher voltage-output is the ortofon concode q.Bert. I haven´t the RMX yet, but I will order it next week! Then we will se.....!
Do other users already have experiences with the RMX and timecode-use???

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 5:47 pm
So what is the final word?

Will this unit work as a reliable external ASIO soundcard for 2 turntables and ext.mixer AND as a MIDI controller at same time?????

Posted Tue 15 Apr 08 @ 6:27 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
My main concern - how's the fader feel for scratching? Is it cheap feeling like the HDJC or does it feel like a "real" mixer. Is it loose, tight, does it have some weight to it? Would the box "fly around" like the HDJC since there is no wieght to it?

Posted Wed 16 Apr 08 @ 10:30 am
triggz8Home userMember since 2005
To open the sub folder you can just press either A or B load button.

Posted Wed 16 Apr 08 @ 3:07 pm
Well, having took delivery of my new Hercules RMX unit on Friday, and played with it all weekend, I have to say all in all it's not really much better than my BCD3000. Looks nice and shiny, but fundamentally nothing new. There are a number of comments I would have both about the unit itself and about it's support for VDJ. So here goes:

The RMX unit itself, having been much hyped as "Pro Gear at a reasonable price" I personally don't think is so pro here's why:
1. The main volume control is purely a midi controller for a connected program, i.e. VDJ. There is no "master output" control on the unit that actually attenuates the main outputs. Whilst one could argue that if you are using an external mixer this is not an issue I would argue that if PC based DJ'ing is going to really move forward, any control devices such as these should do the whole job, and not rely on you having additional equipment.

2. None of the FX buttons or the kill switches have Led\'s on them. Despite looking very much the same as all the other buttons they do not iiluminate. This just smack's of cheapness and cost cutting.

3. On my unit anyway, the gain, bass mid and treble potentiometers supposed centre position is different on every switch, and not in the center!. I thought at first this could be physically the positioning of the knob onto the stem of the pot. However all of them have exactly same max and min positions. This again smacks of the use of cheap resistors that are obviously sending slightly different output values to VDJ for the same positions. I'm being picky I know, but for £260, I'm gonna be!

I also agree with this i bought mine and it looks great but some things are not very responsive. I still haven't been able to setup the effects on it and i don't seem to have the rights to download the mapper. Does some one know why this is?

Posted Wed 24 Dec 08 @ 12:59 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
chulojay wrote :
and i don't seem to have the rights to download the mapper. Does some one know why this is?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you need to have a Pro license to be able to download it

Posted Wed 24 Dec 08 @ 1:08 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
might be best if it were dropped down to limited edition level, as it is made specifically for that unit, I'll ask.

Posted Wed 24 Dec 08 @ 6:45 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
sorry guys the mapper is for pro users only.

Posted Wed 24 Dec 08 @ 1:33 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The reason it is for Pro User's is because in the Limited Edition, you do not have access to the Effects // External Devices section of the software. In order to use a mapper you need access to this section and it is only in the Pro Version that gives you that access.

Remember the Limited Edition version you received FREE with the purchase of the controller ... is to give you something that allows you to use your controller on day one. If you want more features and capabilities you receive a hefty discount to the PRO version for RMX and STEEL users.

Posted Wed 24 Dec 08 @ 1:52 pm
I use the Hercules Dj console RMX all the time. I dj three nights a week (atleast) , 4 hours a night. (For a living)

1 - I had the popping issue, but then I let the windows installer reinstall the drivers for the console. (even though virtual DJ already installed the drivers.) The pops and any random clicks dissapeared.

2 - The upgrade to virtual pro is cheap fast and easy, it comes with a driver update and allows alot more control.
Its worth it.

3 - Virtual DJ pro can run video - im lovin it.
(and now I want McDonalds.)

4 - I think that review was a little hasty and might have mislead alot of people that were excited about purchasing
the product(s). Not only am I really satisfied with its performance, but it paid itself off in a weekend,
- HERC RMX $450
- VIRTUAL DJ upgrade to pro $150

Oh yeah, grammer.

Posted Thu 22 Apr 10 @ 6:19 pm
heartsLE userMember since 2005
HERCULES RMX: sound card setup. I recently got rid of my Hercules steel and M-audio fast track pro audio interface because when i recorded the music that i played i was unable to hear the microphone when i playback the mix on a cd. yesterday i bought the Hercules RMX but am having similar problem, am unable to hear the microphone when i record and try to do talkover. i think my problem is configuring the Hercules sound card and the sound settings on my computer. can anyone please tell me how to configure the sound card of the Hercules RMX so i can hear mysel when am recording music while using the mic. i really don't want to have to get rid of it as i did with the Hercules Steel and Fast track Pro audio interface. my computer details are:

. am running windows 7 Ultimate
. 2.5 GB RAM
. 64-bit operating system
. AMD Athlon Dual core Processor 1.90GHZ

i would really appreciate your help, thanks.

Posted Fri 25 Jun 10 @ 3:09 pm
FuskitPRO InfinityMember since 2009
As far as using a mic with the RMX is concerned, you need a low impedance mic or an external mic controller.

Michael

Posted Sun 27 Jun 10 @ 5:55 am

Posted Mon 28 Jun 10 @ 4:58 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)