Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Messed up File names / MP3 Tags. Well Pissed off

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Can anybody help me

Just opened up VirtualDJ and alot of my file names have got mess up. I had them like this

50 Cent - In Da Club[Single Version].mp3,

But now I've got

50 Centin Da Club[Single Version]/Single Version.mp3.

When you bring up the file info the Artist field is blank and it's put everything in the Title field. Fcuking Why!!!!! It's like VirtualDJ has messed up some of my tags and saved them like the above. Going though my folders, there must be at least 1000 it's done it too. Fcuking nightmare. Well pissed off.

Jimmy b

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 5:23 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Did you try shutting down and restarting your system and VirtualDJ ?

How about running the Fix tool in the Config -> Browser tab for your database(s).

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 5:49 am

Yes Chris, one of the first things I did.

It's mess up about 1100 files names and I've got to change back manually. It's goin to take me a few hours. Nightmare. I'm worried aswell that it will do it again.

Jimmy b

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 5:59 am
Jimmy,

Did you upgrade from version 4 ?

If so, have you removed/renamed the OLD database(s) ?
VirtualDJ Database (username).xml from My Documents -> VirtualDJ and Program Files -> VirtualDJ

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 7:17 am
cstoll wrote :
Jimmy,

Did you upgrade from version 4 ?

No mate, I started on the Home edition (console edition) 3.4.1.

Been going through a few and I've noticed that the files that have got messed up are the ones ( older mp3's ) that I had when I used that edition. If that is any help.

Jimmy b

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 7:46 am
Ok, then look and see if you have OLD database XMLs in those two locations I mentioned and rename them.

My assumption and analysis of this issue keeps bringing me to old databases that are lingering around. After you rename the old databases, do the Fix, Clean and Clear on your v5 databases. Then if there are some 'problem' entries still around, correct them and it should not happen again.

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 8:41 am

OK mate, will do

and cheers

Jimmy b

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 8:44 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
cstoll
Are you saying that when updating from ver 4 to Ver 5,
you need to delete the db from 4?

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 2:47 pm
What I am saying is that once you have completely made the move and you are comfortable with the outcome of the v5 databases being built, I would rename any old databases (delete on your own choice) so version 5 will not see them.

I believe there is something still occurring during the launch process of VirtualDJ where it is reading information from the old database and still trying to build/update the new. This has not been completely confirmed but it is the only thing that I can find that seems to cause this particular issue. The reason I say it is not completely confirmed is because I have a machine myself with a version 4 database still in place and have not experienced this problem.

However, where I have recommended the same solution to some I have never seen them post back and complain that the problem is still happening.

So unfortunately this is one of those 'best solution' at the time until further information and be gathered for better troubleshooting.

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 3:19 pm
Chris, Just a Update for you,

These file names that have messed up are I think Poor written Tags. I can remember now using a free mp3 Tag program at the start of using VirtualDJ. Goin though them now I can see that it was this problem's fault

I'm using Tag&rename to put them right. It's a long process, done about 300 now and 750 to go. Done as you said and got rid of anything related to the 3.4 database and uninstalled 3.4. So hopefully these I shouldn't have anymore problems.

Jimmy b

Posted Thu 27 Mar 08 @ 5:44 am
It's good that you have looked at other possibilities for the problem. I am still trying to hunt down if my assumption is correct, so please let me know how things go.

Posted Thu 27 Mar 08 @ 6:16 am

Finally re done the messed up file names, also gone though some of my older mp3's files and altered them too using Tag&Rename, better be safe than sorry.

I still believe this issue was because I used a Free and nasty mp3 tagging program when I started using VirtualDJ.

Going to be using Tag&Rename from now on, and I think the issue is sorted.

Jimmy b

Posted Tue 01 Apr 08 @ 8:22 pm
I also used a tag program and had it mess up my files too, I have not used on since.

Posted Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 1:04 pm
I use Tag&Rename, haven't had any trouble with the tags since I did the original work of getting everything straight, if it helps ;)

Posted Thu 03 Apr 08 @ 11:50 am

I'll be using it from now on

Jimmy b

Posted Thu 03 Apr 08 @ 12:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)