Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Problem with Video Card, need some advice plz.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Im starting to buid my PC for VDJ, this is the setup only for VDJ, so it will only have WinXP 64 pro edition, a .PPS player and VDJ.
Hardware:

Intel DP35DPM MotherBoard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 64 bits, 3.00 GHz with 6 MB cache and 1,333 MHz bus
4 DDR2 667Mhz 2Gb Kingstone modules (total of 8Gb) pretty cheap right now memory modules.
2 HHD Western Digital 500Gb SATA
Acer 19" LCD monitor (only with analog input, so I use the DVI-VGA converter that it cames with)

I was using the internal video card this week, but yestarday I bought a generic (power color brand) PCIe16x video card with ATI's X1550 chipset and 512M DDR2 of ram. It has dual DVI outputs and a S-VIDEO output. I downloaded the most recent drivers (relased this year, 2008) for 64 bit windows, from ATI's page, and instelled them. The video card works perfectly but I cant acvivate the second display. I just right-click on the monitor pic (on display settings) and when I check the destop extend tab, the primary (and main) screen goes blank for a second, but still does not activate the second display.

Then I installed the catalyst utility from ATI. And now offers (via ATI software) activate the S-Video output, but when activate the main monitor goes blank and now in the TV I saw the windows desktop, but not as "extended desktop".

Today I just sold the video card to a friend who is a game addict, but now I dont know what video card to buy to work without issues. Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 3:41 pm
Im thinking that maybe that video card needs the second monitor TO BE connected to activate the s-video output, but I will not use 2 monitors in this system.

I preffer ATI over NVidia, I dont have any particular reason, just I havn't any issues with ATI until yesterday with this model.

Any suggesitons on another Video Card PCI Express 16X with 512mb RAM, with S-Video out that can be used as a secondary display???

Thanks!

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 4:24 pm
Yes, both monitors have to be connected before, you boot. If you are using s video, I think you have to use the top connection for your monitor.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 4:38 pm
Now everything got sense. So there is no way that I can work only with one monitor and get the second output from the S-Video like if it were another monitor.

That’s the way that all the dual video cards work or only this one in particular?

Thanks!

Posted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 7:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)