Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Very slow access to music on hard drive

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all

Im still messing about with a demo version of Virtual Dj 5. I have been using another program to Dj with but really want to use VDJ, if i can get it working properly.

I am running a Laptop with a 1.7 pentium mobile proccesor with 1g ram. All music & karaoke is on external HD which is partitioned in two 100g sections. Music on one, karaoke on the other. its connected via usb 2.

One main problem is, Since installing VDJ5, the time the computer takes to access the music has increased dramatically. Even if VDJ isnt running, it still takes ages. It never used to do this. It still accesses the karaoke partition quickly, just not the music one.

There is plenty free space on the music partition.

When im running VDJ and i click on the music folder to open it, the cpu meter goes off the scale and the whole program freezes, any music playing usually keeps going, but it does sometimes pause for a few seconds. After around 10 seconds the program un-freezes, the music un-pauses and i can access the music folder.

Even when im just playing music through media player, and i try to open the music folder via 'my computer' the music often freezes while the computer trys to open the folder. This didnt happen before i installed VDJ 5

I assume im missing something obvious, but ive been trying to work this out for ages.

Any help appreciated

Dave

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 5:00 am
Hi Dave

The fact you said it happens when VDJ isn't running kind of takes VDJ out of the equation in terms of diagnosing a fault.

It seems strange that one partition works fine and the other doesn't.

Maybe you could try copying a few Audio tracks over to you karoke partition and test to see if these load quickly.

It maybe worth moving all files off the drive to somewhere else, then reformat and re-partition the drive in an approved manner. Then move them all back.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 5:28 am
Hi digimixer

I thought that too, it definatly isnt just VDJ, but the problem only started after i installed VDJ 5.

I was thinking that maybe VDJ adjusted some settings on the computer, and that resulted in the slowness.

I have used the clean & fix features in VDJ, also have analyzed all 25,000 music tracks ( that took over a week running 24/7)

I will give your format idea a go if no one else can think of anything

Thanks for your input

Dave

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 6:29 am
djdave01 wrote :
I was thinking that maybe VDJ adjusted some settings on the computer, and that resulted in the slowness.

No VDJ wouldn't do this.

This seems like some kind of File System problem.

Maybe worth trying your external drive on another computer and see if you get the same problems accessing that partition.

If it works ok, that would suggest there isn't anything wrong with the Hard Drive and that the problem is localised around your computer.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 6:41 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
if it's an external drive, goto dos and run a 'chkdsk /f <driveletter>:'

also sounds like you have physical errors on the drive. take precaution immediately for backing up before you find out that you've lost data.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 7:57 am
yeah ... back up immediately , just in case .....if your bios has the short and long memory tests run them .......check the C: drive status ......

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 9:17 am
Hi all, thanks for replys

To update, i deceided to backup, format then copy back the music files. This has definatly made a differance.

Its running much better now, although i did hear a few worrying 'clicks' when the music was transferring back onto the external drive.

Thinking possibly that the drives getting past its best and is time for replacement. Its only 2 years old though, so didnt think it would
be screwed already.

Thanks again for help.

Dave

Posted Tue 22 Jan 08 @ 7:35 am
djdave01 wrote :
Hi all, thanks for replys

To update, i deceided to backup, format then copy back the music files. This has definatly made a differance.

Its running much better now, although i did hear a few worrying 'clicks' when the music was transferring back onto the external drive.

Thinking possibly that the drives getting past its best and is time for replacement. Its only 2 years old though, so didnt think it would
be screwed already.

Thanks again for help.

Dave

Hard Drives are mechanical (moving parts) so there is a fair amount of scope for failure. If you take your hard drive out to gigs it's worth spending the extra cash on a more rugged and shock absorbent model as opposed to those designed for more liberal home use, however, they are still proned to failure. It's best to always keep a cloned drive if possible incase of failure. If you don't have the funds available to get one right now, maybe just copy some of you audio to your Computers internal harddrive so that you can fall back on that incase of emergency in a live performance!

Nasty sounds are a good indication that a drive is on its way out. You wanna back up all your audio on it as soon as possible. Try to use it a little as possible before doing so, as sometimes they become self destructive (the more you use it the more damaged they become)

Posted Tue 22 Jan 08 @ 10:57 am
If your running Windows XP, right click on "My Computer" then select "Manage". Open up the event viewer and look a the "System" log.

Look for Errors releating to Source "disk" or also partion errors like source "ntfs".

If the drive is getting errors it could mean it is going bad.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 08 @ 10:58 am
Thanks digimix, i thought that earlier today. Gonna back some of the most popular stuff to the laptop. It is a Maxtor HD, ive used the same brand for many years without any problems, but i cant expect it to keep going forever lol

Thanks also to bonaparte, ive run the event viewer, definatly got problems. 'IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE' 'An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.' 'Explanation, An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.'

Think its time for a new drive.

Dave

Posted Tue 22 Jan 08 @ 11:10 am

Posted Tue 22 Jan 08 @ 11:17 am
Thanks bonaparte

It says i have to refer to where i bought it. As it was over 2 years ago, i have no clue lol

Time to hunt ebuyer for a replacement.

Thanks for all your help

Dave

Posted Tue 22 Jan 08 @ 12:33 pm
Just to finish this thread, ive bought a new drive. gonna spend some time today transferring everything onto it.

Thanks again for help

Dave

Posted Thu 24 Jan 08 @ 4:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)