Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What the hell is wrong with SOME of my VOBs??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi chaps (oh, and Happy New Year while I'm at it). I'm running the latest version of Cue on a Toshiba P100 Satellite Pro, I've been given a copy of Westlife's Greatest Hits DVD for a Xmas present (what, you think I'm going to face a HMV counter with THAT in my hand??) and I've just used Shrink DVD to get the VOB's off the disc. The resulting files look the right length, everything plays fine in my software DVD player... so what the hell is wrong with playing them in CUE? Shows a one second running time and that's all she wrote.

This isn't the first time this has happened, it used to do it a lot with VOB's ripped from old White Disc compilations (the first batch, before they got stung with licensing fees and had to put the prices up. Ooh, remember them? Lovely...). So... what? What's wrong with these VOB's? Is there something I've missed before I try dragging them into TMPGenc, making AVIs out of them and ragging them through Vegas?

The other problem is sometimes with sound, best example are VOB's ripped from the Billy Joel DVD - picture plays fine, waveform shows up nicely but the sound is a delightful crackling noise.

Look, I know I'm not the sharpest blade in the box but I'm also not the bluntest. What's going on? Have I missed something blindingly obvious here?

Any ideas? (Oh, and Text2D plugin doesn't work either. Says Direct3D isn't installed when it bloody well is. Am I totally jinxed or what??)

Cheers in advance, guys.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 9:56 am
The Billy Joel DVD is because of the way the audio is on the DVD. I had to rip it to vob then convert to xvid/AVI to get the audio to work correctly. My bet is that it is some kind of attempted protection scheme!

Rusty

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 10:28 am
Arse. Oh well, at least I wasn't alone on that one, and thanks for your reply. Looks like my weekend's pretty much taken up with that now...!

Right then - what about the other VOB's, with the one second cut-off?

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 11:10 am
Try ripping them with DVD Decrypter. Can be found at doom9.org for free.

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 9:03 pm
chafferPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hello,

I get the same "direct 3d isn't installed" message as you. When I click enable FIRST, and then do the text thingy it works fine!

Hope this helps

Posted Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 9:18 pm
Wassup Bro,

I've ripped my DVDs into MPEG using clonedvd.com and it plays pretty good on my CUE, its pretty expensive if you want to buy the software, but get the trial version and ripp as many as you can in those 14 trial days.......

Now my question is, how do you use the RIPDVD software that comes with the CUE?

your boy

Los

OnE

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 5:11 pm
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
You have to press "Ativate" (on the button to the left of the text editor) before you use Apply or Apply+Activate

Posted Mon 21 Jan 08 @ 5:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)