Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: So I have a chance to upgrade to a new laptop... however

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok... my current laptop.

HP9440w
Core2Duo T7400 2.0ghz
2GB RAM
512MB NVIDIA Quadro 1500m
17" 1680x1050 widescreen
svideo-out

I have a chance to switch over to what you would think is a better laptop... but I am more or less deciding against it unless someone here can convince me otherwise.

HP8510w
Core2Duo T7600 2.16ghz (i think - i know its the next step up from mine)
2GB RAM
256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX570
15" 1920x1200 screen
HDMI-out
Blu-Ray player

It's cool that this new laptop has a blu-ray player and all. But even though the FX570 is a newer chipset over my 1500M... the benchmarks say that my 1500M is just as good. And the 512MB vs 256MB comparison is obvious.

I probably would have upgraded anyways since my current laptop is a brick and this new laptop is at least a pound lighter. But I think the HDMI-OUT really screws me. There are no other TV-OUTs (sivideo or composite) on this laptop. So outputting for VDJ would be difficult as all my video inputs at my club accept RCA.

Should I pass this one up? Upgrading wouldn't cost me anything. I am getting the laptop from my job.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 08 @ 10:45 pm
Looks like somewhat of a downgrade to me. You are trading the bigger screen and more video memory for a Blu-Ray drive and an HDMI port. How usefull would those things be to you as far as DJing? I would stick with what you have. The bump in processor speed is barely noticable as well. I would stay put.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 08 @ 11:36 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
look at alienware or hp hdx

Posted Sat 12 Jan 08 @ 12:01 am
There isn't a choice of laptops here. The laptop in question is a hand me down from my boss. So if I don't take it... i'll hand it down to the next guy in line. ;)

Posted Sat 12 Jan 08 @ 1:42 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
stay with what you have... id give 160mhz of speed up for 2" of screenspace and an extra 256mb of VRAM if i had the choice

Posted Sat 12 Jan 08 @ 2:29 am
I personally prefer the 15" monitor but I wouldn't want to lose the video memory. The blu ray and hdmi seem like useless bells and whistles to me though so I think its all about balance. Of course if you prefer the larger laptop then I'd say stick with your current one.

Posted Sat 12 Jan 08 @ 2:51 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I would also say stay with ur lappy...n stay happy;)

Posted Sat 12 Jan 08 @ 3:52 am
Id take it and give it a go with VDJ. You never mentioned anything about losing your current laptop.

Why not say Thank you to your boss, and at the very least use it at home for surfing the web?

Or sell it.

Posted Sat 12 Jan 08 @ 9:46 am
Ok guys... new scenario. Please comment.

I need to get off my current laptop. Long story short I have been getting random lockups and bluescreens relating to nv4_disp. Upon looking at this online... it seems to be a known issue with NVIDIA video cards (mobile and desktop) and there is really no fix. I am considering now dumping this laptop entirely and going something ATI based.

How does VDJ with video run with an ATI Mobility HD 2600? And how does it compare to an Nvidia 7800? Better? Worse? My currently laptop has a Quadro 1500M but that more or less runs at 7800GT speeds.

I am looking at the following laptops.

This one is very reasonably priced and on sale currently. AMD X2 with a 512MB dedicated HD2600 video
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220237

Here is a Core2Duo version for $500 more (is it worth $500 more?)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220231

Asus seems to be the only company that offers an affordably priced Notebook with exceptional ATI graphics (HD 2600 or better.... or X1800 or better)

If someone has a better alternative... i'm all for it.

Posted Sun 13 Jan 08 @ 1:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)