Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: a little help? external mixing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

crundlePRO InfinityMember since 2003
i currently have virtual dj on my laptop, and was considering getting hold of an external mixer like a Behringer pro vmx 100 for it.
Im unsure if it is a good idea to get an external mixer if I am not currently looking at getting any xp10's (on my wish list though!!). I thought it would be good to be able to crossfade and adjust things by hand rather than by using keyboard shortcuts - does anyone else just use an external mixer but not the xp10's or tc vinyl?
Also, my laptop has a crappy soundcard in it, will I need a good 3d usb soundcard to use an external mixer? I have seen some of the posts talking about using just mono rather than stereo, but is this a good idea?
Excuse my ignorance, but I normally just make mixes for myself, so have no idea of what is required for using an external mixer.
One last thing, can virtual dj record the mix if it is done using an external mixer? My gut feeling is that it would not be possible, if so, does anyone have a workaround? I guess I could use my home computer to record....

thanks for the help in advance,
Matt

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 2:32 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If you use an external mixer you'll have to use another sound editor but that's not a problem (however I haven't tried to record with VDJ since 2.xx).

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 6:33 pm
I use VDj with an external berihger and it works fucking great.
The only thing u need is an external usb or firewire card 3d and configure the program to use a mixer.
I got creative extigy and it's really works. I use 2 outputs (Front and Rear) to each channel on the mixer.
ur perfomance'll be much better with a mixer, and u can feel the changes and the mixes with ur fingers. Amazing if u have started just with the keyboard.

To record using this config is harder.
u need to use the original sound card of the laptop to get the signal form the mixer. i haven't tried yet, but I will in a couple of days.

I'll tell u if u want.

Have fun.

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 6:45 pm
thanks for the info ilansito and clax. I was considering an extigy, cause I have an audigy in my main computer and it works great. The mixer seems to be the right price for me, with plenty of features.
I'm going on a holiday with some mates from work in a few months, fishing trip in a holiday house, and they have seen me playing with virtual dj at work and thought it was fantastic. They used to think that only vinyl was the way to mix, and that using software like this 'took away' from the art of mixing, but after showing them what it could do, they can now see that it lowers the entry bar for beginners, but allows someone who knows the art of mixing to do amazing things.
So I am looking at getting a mixer and soundcard by then and us having some cranking mixes going at nights.
Once again thanks for the info, I hope the experiment with recording mixes works well...

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 10:26 pm
myselfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use an audigy2 with an external mixer and think it's fantastic.
It's good to get hands on with the crossfader.
It's nice not to have to use the mouse all the time, using the external mixer let's you have best of both worlds. VirtualDJ is awesome, I'm loving the entire setup even though I don't use ALL of the features it has to offer.

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 11:22 pm
eventually thinking of getting some xp10's to complete my setup.... but gotta get the mixer first and get used to that. The forum on mixing was a great help, as I am not really too good at this, but I can have a go at it for a lot less expense than vinyl and am able to do much more with the software. Coming from atomixmp3, which was great then too, this software has really grown, and to look at the forum, with people using this software for live gigs more than ever, really shows it has come of age.
Gotta get more time to practise myself, but I am studying law for the next few years and working full time, so not too much spare time, but whenever I can, I always go for a quick mix session, nothing like being able to do it yourself.
Anyhow, thats enough of me gasbagging. thanks for all the help supplied again, and I will no doubt be picking everyone's brains again when I get the mixer and can't get it working right!!

:)
Matt

Posted Thu 25 Nov 04 @ 12:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)