Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Been ask to do a Good friends Gig behind his back - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Did my first set of my mates old gig in town last night and it went good. About a hour into it, guess who stepped the in booth and slapped a large JD and coke in front of me, my mate steve.

Him and his girlfriend stayed with me all night. When I finished and was leaving he patted me on the back and said Thanks, and he was glad i was doing his old gig.

That meant alot to me.

Jimmy b

Posted Sun 13 Jan 08 @ 9:25 am
Glad it worked out for you, Jimmy. I think you did the right thing from an ethical standpoint by talking to your mate. But ethics is sometimes lost on our business. Take the following for example.

I was informed by an owner recently that he could no longer afford me. Even though I had kept a good spending crowd on the nights that I gigged there, the place was just dead on other nights.

I later found out that he had cut a deal with some newbie that had offered to play for free "for a few weeks" until things got going. Well, I guess things never got going. I stopped in one night during their gig and there were about 6 people there, including me AND the owner.

A "few weeks" later, the owner sold the place because it was failing, he was losing money, and couldn't stay afloat. The new owner isn't willing to pay much either, so he hired a bottom feeder. I think it probably has to do with the large remodeling project and such. No matter. The opening has given me more oportunities for private gigs, and I'll be around when the hammer falls like always.

Posted Mon 14 Jan 08 @ 12:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)