Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Backing up

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

robmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've had a couple of hard disk failures recently, requiring a full o/s install and then reinstalling all my apps and countless drivers etc. It's not fun and takes about a day. I've always backed everything up onto an external HD, but it is the loss of time and the hassle that bothers me.

I have just got everything back up and running *again* (sorry tech team if you are wondering why I keep re-installing VDJ!) and would like a way of making an image of my HD. Is this possible? What I would ideally like is to be able to create an image, maybe even burn it onto a DVD (it is about 4 gig), then if my HD fails again I can somehow restore this image onto a new HD without having to reinstall windows, VDJ etc.

Anyone got any suggestions? Is there anything available for free?

Thanks

r

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 2:51 pm
there are many such software...

Norton Ghost, DriveImage etc etc

Easy to use, easy to restore hd

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 4:51 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Nero has a backup utility build in, (because you asked for something for free, i suppose you have nero already)
..but i didn't try it.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 5:47 pm
Acronis True Image. Not free, but the best I have ever used. Works great.

Killabee44

Posted Thu 18 Nov 04 @ 4:08 am
robmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I don't think I have Nero (or it would be an old one if I did) so it looks like I'll have to get the wallet out.

Posted Fri 19 Nov 04 @ 3:53 pm
download the trial of nero, I believe making images works with it too so it doesn't cost you a thing.

Posted Fri 19 Nov 04 @ 6:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)