Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Beginner questions!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello All!

(I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, or not allowed, or simply a searchable subject.)

I have just recently begun getting my feet wet into the DJ world and i stumbled upon Virtual DJ. I am using the trial version, and the software itself is very impressive. Easy to use yet advanced.

I have been siphing through the user guide bit by bit and basically i am wondering... What do i need to get truly STARTED? I have no first hand experience DJing or even second hand. Basically if someone randomly off the street asked you what it took to get going, what would you tell them?

Are there any GOOD books?
User guides?
What hardware is great to start but also helps you progress?
What things should i purchase right off the bat to start learning and mixing?

To be completely honest... I like to start off with "everything" i could possibly need. What i dont want to do is start off with the software then realize 3 months later that i need to buy something else. So details on appropriate hardware/software would be amazing!

I would love to get moving and start trying things with an idea of how to get there. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. I will certainly explore the forums more, and thank you in advance!

---Alex

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 2:26 am
well that all depends on alot of things...

what genre of music?
mobile/home dj?
budget$$$?
if hip-hop scratching or not?
video or just audio?
cds/vinyl/or staight mp3s?

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 2:33 am
Genre of music will generally be club/dance type... Hip hop/rap/techno/dance
Im sure i'll do most if not all of my learning from home... But there's always the possibility of needing it to be mobile!
Price ranges... Best bang for the buck i guess would be the best way to put it!
Just audio. And mostly mp3.

I havent read too much on vinyl/cd djing. Im sure once i get a grasp on things then these questions will become more clear, as well as my goal, but for now i'd like to get a good aspect of what's ahead if i decide to give this my full attention!

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 2:39 am
ok then i would suggest to get the hercules dj console mk2.

its a cool controller and very powerful for the price. it has a built in mixer that will control vdj, also it is an asio soundcard so if later on you would want to use timecoded vinyl or cds you could. you can also use it with an external mixer if you like, however i would suggest purchasing that to get started. thats the first piece of hardware i got and now i use turntable with timecoded vinyl.

the controller comes with a semi stripped down version of vdj. if you would like to get all of the cool, plug ins and extras you can i definatly suggest buying the pro version of vdj to go along with the hercules

gauge

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 2:46 am
being a dj is simple.

play music and take money.

everything else is in between

go to a dj school

that helped people.

google a dj school near you..

if in usa search for scratch dj academy

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 4:39 am
djkz do you play a club? i doubt it, because it is not that easy...

well i guess being a dj is easy, but being a good dj is a whole other thing...

not about just mixing, gotta read the crowd

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 5:03 am
Thank you for the advice and equipment suggestions! I never thought about schooling before but it's definitely an interesting idea! I have been looking to pursue schooling for a career and perhaps this is it.

Have you been to scratch academy...? The LA location would be ideal for me... I'd definitely like more info on it if you have any more that isnt available from the website or brochure.

Posted Sat 24 Nov 07 @ 7:45 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)