Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Beat Grid Modification in the Rhythm Window

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NetGeekPRO InfinityMember since 2004
... From a thread in the General Discussion, this is a request to enable modification of the Beat Grid in the Rhythm Window. This would enable us to quickly drag the grid to the appropriate place on the waveform. You could also enable key-click combinations (-Drag) to stretch the spacing in the grid or modify the start and stop beats.

I saw that some skins have buttons that do this to some extent, but they are cumbersome. It would be much more efficient to do it with the mouse.

Thoughts?

Brent

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 3:07 pm
OMG this is exactly what I came on to post about today.

I would really appreciate this feature!

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 3:32 pm
Great minds.....

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 3:47 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes! Mouse-modifyable waveform CGB!! Don't think many users use the waveform to beatmatch/scratch.

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 8:09 pm
Actually, some of us DO use the wave form to beatmatch! This is especially important when playing an analog song that was converted (think old disco or dance music) Invariably the cbg drifts from the waveform NOMATTER what you adjust, the phase slider or the BPM. This is because there was a time when all music did not have s synth drum beat!

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 4:37 pm
I agree totally - especially for older or live music. Most produced music today is corrected, even with live drummers. Heck, they even correct the pitch for the vocals. Its amazing what them thar 'puters can do now....

My point was though, when bringing in new songs to the library, it would be much quicker and easier if you could drag the grid and the anchors to the right spot in the waveform when it finishes its analysis.

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 5:07 pm
@ ronny582:

Sorry, but I thought one of VDJ's improvements toward Atomix was also the virtual turntable, on which you nudge the song and correct the beatmatch same as on the waveform (in my opinion even better). That is why I find this "doubled" function in waveform unnecessary.

But okay, since I guess not everyone uses advanced options, why not having the ability to enable/disable CGB mouse adjusting? Since the implementatoion of the pannel feature, I really don't think it would be hard.

erXon

Posted Fri 12 Nov 04 @ 10:14 am
I'm not sure if you understand what we're getting at,
the idea is for an improvement that will save you from having to nudge it forward as much for some tracks.
Also for tracks where the bpm can not accurately be detected, eg some RnB tracks or songs with extra beats - there would be an option to modify the bpm by clicking 4 marker points that make up a bar.

Posted Fri 12 Nov 04 @ 2:41 pm
@ Dj Ross M:

Okay, I understand that. But to achieve this, VDJ (in my opinion) needs a faster and more user friendly CBG setting interface.

The best way I see to do it, is to be able to define unlimited markers (with a click of a mouse) at which CBGs can be relatively dragged left/right with a mouse. For example, every song would start with two default markeres (at beginning and end of the track), in a way user can drag the first one to the first beat and drags the second one to tha last. A bpm would be easiliy calculated in this way I think. And for certain bpm/phase changes in the middle of the track, you could click on two points where you want to correct the CBGs (= generates new markers - like cuepoints), and than drag them to adjust with beats.

I think a best way to manually adjust the right CGB.

Posted Fri 12 Nov 04 @ 11:24 pm
Sounds kinda like the idea I had except you have allowed for the use of more markers.

I think for it to work effectively you would have to place markers in banks of 4 though.

Posted Sun 14 Nov 04 @ 1:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)