Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Echo Indigo or Echo Indigo DJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Getting ready to buy TC Vinyl, but looks like I need to exchange my Auidigy soundcard for an ASIO-compliant one to be sure that latency does not enter into the picture.

So, from this forum's discussions, it looks like Echo Indigo would be ideal for my laptop. The question, though, is this: www.topdjgear.com sells 2 types of Echo Indigo cards--Echo Indigo and Echo Indigo DJ. Just by looking at it, I can't see what the difference (besides the price) between them is. Does anyone know whether I should go with one or another?

Echo Indigo:
http://store.yahoo.com/topdjgear/ecinstoudefo.html

Echo Indigo DJ:
http://store.yahoo.com/topdjgear/echoindigodj.html

Thanks!

Posted Mon 08 Nov 04 @ 3:18 pm
I think there is only one Echo Indigo card... so guess its the same...

Also, worth looking into for timecode asio low latency use, is the usb Maya 44 soundcard, with 4x line-in and 4x line out :)

Posted Mon 08 Nov 04 @ 3:40 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Maya 44 usb : 120 E
Very good option

Posted Mon 08 Nov 04 @ 5:53 pm
You need the Echo Indigo DJ! the DJ card has 4 line outs
the other has 2 line outs and 2 line ins

Posted Mon 08 Nov 04 @ 11:45 pm
NetGeekPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I was looking at getting the Echo Indigo DJ myself and have been scouring the net for the best price.

I found it here for $158 - must less than other vendors. Please let me know if you find it cheaper anywhere also. You can reply off-line if you prefer.

http://www.floridamusicco.com/indigodj.htm

Brent

Posted Tue 09 Nov 04 @ 6:52 pm
that is where i got it from
they are reputable
I paid one dollar more

Posted Tue 09 Nov 04 @ 11:34 pm
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have both Indigo DJ and MAYA44 USB. If you go to do TC then take the MAYA. 4out 4 in. Indigo DJ only 4 out. Without TC, Indigo DJ much better thanks to PMCIA

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 12:28 am
you don't specially need Maya 44 USB to control TC. Most laptops have a line-in of themselves. you can use that to connect both of your turntables (timecoded vinyl), while using the Echo IndigoDj for VDJ-output.

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 3:51 pm
BOTH turntables to the ONE line-in at the onboard laptop soundcard? possible ?

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 3:54 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Most new laptops have NOT stereo line in anymore
(and this is bad...)
Only a MONO mic input.
TC will not work with a mono input, and you need 4 inputs
for 2 turntables, and for low latency you need 1 card with 4in/4out and asio drivers.

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 5:08 pm
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If you do TC, I expect you are more professional. MAYA44 has professional sound in. Your laptop hasn't.

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 8:59 pm
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks guys!

The straw that broke camel's back was the thought that Maya USB can be used on BOTH laptop and desktop PCs (in case I decide to go that route later). So, I am going with Maya. Again, thanks for the information flow.

Now if you could only tell me where the hottest chix are ;).

Posted Fri 12 Nov 04 @ 4:41 am
i tried the Vinyls yesterday (finally). using my setup

laptop with Echo Indigo DJ (asio mode)
i connected the turntable to the standard line-in of my laptop.

The low latency Asio Vinyl mode doesn't work at all becasue the Echo Indigo DJ doesn't have any inputs and my onboard soundcard of my laptop doesn't support asio.
so i can forget low latency asio vinyl mode.

in the othe mode, I tried all possible combinations with the tags on/off sliders to full. i managed to get 1 turntable working, but the quality indicates 'vinyl quality 0%'. i can see the waveforms red and green, but it responds aweful :-s
When i hold the record, the music stops.. when i let it go.. it starts playing again. that's ok, but when it should play at a constant speed (without touching the vinyls), the speed goes up and down.. it's aweful!
when i turn off the turntable so that the turntable stops spinning(with the needle still in the groove) it sounds like VDJ doesn't know where to hold still the song and keep sliding it forward and backward.

I would like to see that the vinyl-quality % would indicate something else than 0% :((((
can someone help please?

Posted Fri 12 Nov 04 @ 10:12 am
cebuPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hello all,
i just got my echo indigo dj today. i follow the installation instruction from the software driver and this what its says, 1. install the driver from the enclose cd by running setup. 2. turn off your computer. 3. insert the echo indigo into your laptop cardbus slot. 4.turn on your computer. watch the driver install themselves. on window xp you will need to select; install the software automatically. i did all of this but when click on install the software automatically i get this warning from window that said [echo indigo dj has not passed window logo testing to verify its compatibility with xp. continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system eithier immediately or in the future. microsoft recommend strongly that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed window logo testing. is there any body incounter the same problems? if there is i need your help on how to fix this problem.

anyway, i take my risk of installing this software and i could not get this indigo dj to work. this what i did after installing the indigo. 1. open the vdj. click on config, sound card click on the arrow down and you see indigo dj 1,2-3,4-5,6-7,8, primary sound card, realtek ac97 audio. if i click on realtek ac97 audio the vdj works but no sound coming out from the stereo only from the laptop speaker. if i click on indigo or primary sound card i get sqealing sound and the deck spin very slow and the sound is sqealing. i need help to setup step by step.
p.s.
i just need a simple setup to be able to run my vdj. and use the headphonne. thank you so much in advance for your help.

Posted Sat 13 Nov 04 @ 8:18 pm
"echo indigo dj has not passed window logo testing to verify its compatibility with xp. continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation"

this is ok, press continue

sqeualing is not good, there was someone else who had that problem. I think it was a bad card

Posted Sat 13 Nov 04 @ 9:57 pm
Hi wirelessdj, what about the deck spin very slow on vdj software on both deck is that part of bad soundcard?

Posted Sat 13 Nov 04 @ 10:14 pm
I find that thare is Noise and static spinning of the decks no matter what sound card I use.

In fact, I found that the XP10's, my internal sound card, and the Hercules DJ Console all have the same noise and distortion when moving the wheels slow.

Posted Sun 14 Nov 04 @ 1:48 pm
I believe the noise is coming from the latency of the software. Latency is another way of saying delay. Latency is needed because a computer is only capable of doing 1 thing at a time. As you increase latency you give the computer more time to process the audio. If you push the latency too far on your computer you will get clicks and pops and other glitches. This is why I think there is pops, clicks and noise in VirtualDJ's sound engine.

What you have done is told the computer you want the audio before it has finished processing it. People have been come obsessed with latency and they play with it without knowing what it is and how to get around it. Latency is also caused by a few different things including the DA and AD converters.

What I have noticed is that on most professional audio progams, you can adjust the latency. The best audio cards on the market will give you 4-5 millsec at 44.1K.

sample rate has an effect on latency -- if you increase the sample rate you decrease the latency. The windows kernel itself mixer introduces 20-30ms of latency, ASIO bypasses this layer and this is how low latency figures are acceived and this is why I want to get the Hercules working in ASIO. Less latency, less noise. By using DMA to transfer the audio from ram to the audio card doesn't need the cpu very often if at all.

It is not the card. i am trying to get ASIO working so I can see if the sound quality improves

WirelessDJ

Posted Sun 14 Nov 04 @ 2:12 pm
wirelessdj,
what i mean on very slow spin on both jogwheel is when you load and play a song either deck using the indigo dj sound card the jogwheel spin so slow its just like dragging it therefor the sound is sqeauling but at same time when i click on my board sound card it works perfectly fine. anybody have the same problem out there?

Posted Sun 14 Nov 04 @ 6:35 pm
what about my question (i was first :-p)
shall i post it again?

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 11:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)