Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Variable BPM detecting and Matching

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Probably pretty complex (and way too much math involved!) but it would be great if the software could do this...

Some songs have BPMs that constantly vary. (happens alot with Disco, funk and R&B). If the software could somehow detect it upon analysis, then it would be able to reposition the beats correctly as it goes along and readjust the bpm of the second song playing to keep it beatmatched with the current one.

Too complicated?

Posted Thu 07 Oct 04 @ 3:01 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Sounds like that would be a nightmare for the dev team. Nobody out there has made a 100% reliable bpm software solution that I've heard of, let alone one that could differentiate the song enough to have confidence in labeling deliberate tempo changes.

But it got me thinking...It might be a pain to have the software analyze and intelligently decide, but what about the user?

In other words, rather than analyzing the entire song, you could analyze the bpm between any two marked points on the waveform. This would work fantasticly for Funk and Breakbeat where the tempo makes those quick obvious changes, and with something even as difficult to analyze as a live mix where there are many subtle changes, you could make the distance between your 2 marked "bpm points" smaller and smaller to kind of approximate a gradual, smart bpm software.

Pretty it up a bit, by changing the waveform colors of each differently bpm'ed segment of the song, and you have yourself a feature that might sell a few copies from those on the bubble. Toss on an "auto bpm segment length" setting with options such as entire_song/2 sec/10 sec /user_defined and I'll send pizza to the next dev team meeting!

Posted Mon 11 Oct 04 @ 12:27 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Come to think of it, is there a way to have the bpm, as recognized by VDJ, change at a cue point currently? I don't mean have the tempo jump from 90 to 180 and hear the song go into double time. I'm speaking of having a tempo of 90 and then a break that leads into 120bpm and having the listed bpm change to match the new beat.

Forget the auto-bpm for the time being, how about simply a way to manually change the bpm's instantly (to user defined new bpm and applicable "tick mark thingie underneath" --- sorry, never remember the term)? I think this would be fairly easy to impliment by the dev team seeing as how an end user could approximate this now with everything but cue point recognition using nothing but freeware macro and mouse emulation software.

This might already be a feature for all I know...so many features to VDJ, so little time to explore them all.

Posted Mon 11 Oct 04 @ 12:43 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I would like the "local bpm" function from automix to be put into vdj.., this would be more accurate during the parts of the track that vary in speed...

Posted Mon 11 Oct 04 @ 2:23 pm
Pioneer mixers DJM500 / DJM600 have a bpm counter that detects the BPM every 5 seconds or so. If you have an old disco song which vary in bpm this is detected.
It will be helpful to have an option in the control panel to switch from the bpm like it is currently implemented and a bpm algorithm which detects the bpm each 5 seconds (would be great to set the time yourself in the control panel depending on your system resources)
This would help, doing dance classic parties.
Ewout

Posted Mon 11 Oct 04 @ 6:41 pm
XEODEHome userMember since 2004
The problem is that any song not made on computer (or eddited on one using samples within a framework) will never be marked up effectively as the bpm will vary with humannesss slow up and speed up slightly. I know of no way that CBGs can be made to follow these changes as there (as far as i know) is only one blanket bpm for the whole song. To go through a song and select the first beats of bars would be a great help to an intelegent algorhythm (not that i have the first clue how to write one) and using these the BPM could be calculated in sections where the variance would not have a chance to get too much out of step. Better than this would be a methadology that did not try and assign a blanket bpm and mapped each beat individualy but i know thers not a cats chance in hell of that :D

Anyway great program, have done about 5 large scale parties using it saving me the cost of a dj, didnt i see some lighting integration mentioned somewhere?

Posted Wed 13 Oct 04 @ 2:54 am
XEODE,
you didn't hire a dj, so then it will be nice to buy the full version...
Otherwise no help and respect
Ewout

Posted Wed 13 Oct 04 @ 7:15 pm
so youve got to buy the thing to put in your 2 pence about a feature you want fixing if your going to buy it?

Posted Sun 17 Oct 04 @ 3:25 am
To Kingston town:
so your daily activity is to go to a local car store and steal a car. The next day you go back to ask to repair the heater because it is broken?

If you plan to buy the software use the demo to test and check out if you like the software.

Maybe it is a good idea for the team that locked accounts could not post messages anymore.
Ewout

Posted Sun 17 Oct 04 @ 11:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)