Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: auto_scratch simple guide

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Here's how to use the new auto_scratch function in VirtualDJ:

1. Create a keyboard shortcut for "auto_scratch";
2. In the Plugins tab (in the config panel), choose which scratch module you want for each deck;
3. Load a song on a deck, start it, and press your keyboard shortcut to activate the auto_scratch.
4. Finally, all you have to do is to scratch as usual (with the discs, or the jogs if you have a console or xp10's), and the scratch module will be applied :)

As an example, if you choose "Forward scratch", any backward movement while scratching will be muted automatically ;)

Hope this helps,

macourteau

Posted Sat 02 Oct 04 @ 2:32 pm
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003

Posted Sat 02 Oct 04 @ 3:25 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi there,
Scatching is something I have virtualy no knowledge of, I've hardly ever attempted it, however, this plugin is called auto scratch, I was thinking this would make it easyer for me to scatch.., Boy was I wrong...

I think now is the time I opened my mind to the world of scratching. anybody here have a "digital" guide to scratching, aka in virtual dj?, :)

Posted Sat 02 Oct 04 @ 3:33 pm
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
Scratching will always need you to act manually on the disc, since most of the quality of your scratch comes from your artistic ability to vary the speed of the scratch (and thus the key of the sound) accordingly to the music playing.

Trying to automate this would only rip off all the artistic part, and we definitely don't want that.

But on the other hand, scratching used to required your both hands, while in fact the second hand was only doing a movement indexed on the movement of the first hand, without adding anything "artistic".

The auto scratch feature is there to let you have your second hand back free, but you will still perform the scratch move "artistically" with your first hand.

(hope I'm making sense here)

Posted Sat 02 Oct 04 @ 5:30 pm
thanx Dev Team ;) NICE new feature...

and just what I asked for at "new features".... ;) cool...
look forward to try it... and mute reverse etc are good tools ;)

Posted Sun 03 Oct 04 @ 3:57 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is it possible that the plugin wizard integrate this scratch.h file ?

Posted Mon 04 Oct 04 @ 7:42 am
clax: create an empty Win32 C++ DLL project, add the file "VdjScratch.h" in the project, and create a .cpp file... Code the plugin, and compile it. That's all there is to it :)

macourteau

Posted Tue 05 Oct 04 @ 7:32 pm
Don't get these. I understand the concept but can't get them to sound good. I scratch much better manually with my external crossfader and mouse. Is there a specific technique to get these to sound good? I just don't get it... Thanks for the help...

Posted Wed 06 Oct 04 @ 2:22 am
vantinedj: I made a new version for the chops modules... Have a look in the Effects Plug-ins download section. For infos on where to install scratch modules, have a look at the sticky topic in the Plugins forum :)

Hope these sound better...

macourteau

Posted Wed 06 Oct 04 @ 2:24 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Nice job macourteau ... like usually.

Posted Wed 06 Oct 04 @ 1:18 pm
clax: Thanks, but it wasn't much work... I just wanted to make them sound better than the default ones :)

macourteau

Posted Wed 06 Oct 04 @ 8:51 pm
macourteau, i downloaded your new scratches zip file.. but i cant get them to work.. when i load them in.. it does nothing... did i do something wrong

Posted Thu 07 Oct 04 @ 6:36 pm

Posted Thu 07 Oct 04 @ 7:45 pm
I'LL TRY IT A BIT LATER. THANKS..

Posted Thu 07 Oct 04 @ 10:40 pm
ok, went there, read up. downloaded to c/prog fiiles/virtual dj... thats where i saved it.. i have a few other folders there as well. ie, effects, samples.. etc.. is that correct?
if it is, what do i do next.. do i unzip, do i open?
thanks
and finally, how do i set them up... cant quite figure it out.

Posted Fri 08 Oct 04 @ 1:28 am
You have to extract them in that folder; you can then open the VirtualDJ Configuration. Go to the Plugins tab, and then you can choose which scratch plugin you want on each deck. Once you activate it, just scratch as you would usually scratch, and the module will take effect.

macourteau

P.S.: make sure you extract those modules in the same folder as the other Scratch_*.dll files...

Posted Fri 08 Oct 04 @ 1:45 am
Bonjour, je voulais savoir malgrès la version home edition. Peut-on avoir tous les effects de la version pro? Si oui comment faire?

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 6:27 pm
DUDU9768: il faut parler en anglais ici, et ta question a été répondue au e-service.

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 9:48 pm
sarlacPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i havent got a sctratch plugin tab under the config control panels. can anyone help?

Posted Thu 10 Nov 05 @ 5:35 pm
sarlacPRO InfinityMember since 2005
ignore my last message as i found it. it's not under a 'plugin tab' but in the extensions part.

Posted Sun 13 Nov 05 @ 5:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)