Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Someone please develop an external crossfader - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Is anybody going to develop an external crossfader? I would like to use both hands when mixing. I'd like to see an external crossfader in a usb attactment. It will make life easier. Just a cross fader, that's all.

Now before someone says "You can use an external mixer", I would want to use the Atomix/VDJ recording options instead of plugging my mixer back into the line-in of the sound card and use another program to record the mix.

Too much work involved. I would like to see something external like a crossfader mixer design for AtomixMP3/VDJ. That way I can control the mouse for various other functions like keeping the beat matching, work with the loop, sound effects and other functions AtomixMP3/VDJ has to offer.

By using the mouse for the crossfader it limits you the freedom to react (creatively) when you want to play with other features and vise versa.

Someone throw me a bone here. Any developments coming along the pike?

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 6:54 pm
stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I use an external mixer about 50% of the time but when i am not i have the left and right arrow keys configured as the crossfader not exactly the real thing but easily operated by one hand leaving the other hand free to well.... do whatever you like with really???

It takes a little getting used to but works well.......

well it does for me anyway...

stu

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 7:19 pm
I'm currently using the right & left arrows as my crossfader. But it's not the feel I'm looking for. I just want total control. I'm trying to make my dj experience on VDJ as effortless as possible.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 7:37 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
I've got one, you can make one too.
Don't know if it works in VDJ, but I am 95% sure it does.
Atomix (and VDJ?) support crosfadeing by joystick. If you press button 1 and move the X axes you will see the x-fader corespond. The only problem is that the X axes (left-right) goes back to center when you let it go. It would be nicer to use throtle control that stays where you set it. But as far as I know there isn't a way to make atomix use the Z axes.
So, I got my old Logitech Wingman Attack opened it and did some re-wireing. Now I've got an external crossfader!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 10:20 pm
Read the entire posts Homeboy!

>Now before someone says "You can use an external mixer", I would want...

**No need to shout at me I am human too ;)
Homeboy

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 10:22 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Sorry about that nscode, but my opinion is to use an external mixer :) But I can check on the crossfader control for you too. But yes your right it could be usefull.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 10:30 pm
A mixer is 100$ and a joystick can be found for 10$. See my point? The only reason why I would use an external mixer is to get output from 2 PCs running VDJ. I sometimes need the third deck and I don't think its good job running two instances when even one eats up so much CPU and RAM. On the other hand... a tehincs 1210 is cheaper than another fine PC...

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 11:21 pm
>**No need to shout at me I am human too ;)
Homeboy

I didn't shout... this is shouting:

DID YOU EDIT MY POST? HOW DARE YOU? YOU HAVE NO BLODY RIGHT DO DO THAT. IT SAYS ON TOP YOU CAN ONLY DELETE POSTS, THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT EDITING!!! I'M GONNA SUE YOUR FACE BACK TO STONE AGE. YOU HAVE LESS MORAL THAT CHUMBAWABA WHO MAKE FUN OF POPY STARS LIKE BRITNY SPEARS AND THEN REMIX KYLIE MINOGUE!

;)

just jokeing... keep it cool... :)

btw, i love chumbawamba work up to 97'-98'. saw tham live 2 days ago at EXIT, they were great, sayd that EXIT is much better than the english festivals!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 11:31 pm
Well I see this has become somewhat of a hot issue. I have a Behringer Mixer and it works great for me and yes I have used it for my origional purpose as a DJ with two turntables as well as connected it to my PC to work with VDJ.

And I say my mixes comes out better with an external mixer than me using the mouse.

BUT, I like the recording capabilities that VDJ has to offer. I was just requesting to see if some code junkie who likes to tinker with stuff can develop a crossfader with a USB connection that can control the crossfader of VDJ.

My mixes are on point with a mixer and along with the VDJ features it sounds hot. But running it to the line-in of my sound card and using another product to record defeats the purpose of using VDJ and it's recording features.

I might as well do it with just the mixer and tables connected to the PC. I have no need for VDJ.

I would think that's something someone is working on, if not then "someone please develop an external crossfader!"

I see VDJ would be and will become a great product just that it needs a little add-on to make it sore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this.

Trust me if I had the code skills and a way to tinker with electronics I would build one and sell it for a nice piece of change like $25 or less.

Lets put a call out for a product like this.

Can I get a witness!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 03 @ 11:48 pm
LOL I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT ! HEHE

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 12:04 am
Didn't you here me (read me :)?
I have an external crossfader! It was made out of a joystick and conects to the game port. It could be done with an USB joystick too.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 8:57 am
Yes, I was just kidding with you :)

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 10:08 am
Ahhh.... I was talking do the man who wanted the crossfader.
Maybe you can do whatever you want in this forum, but you are not the center of the world, you know, home boy! ;)

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 11:19 am
Oh and by the way, yes we will release a small USB mixtable for VirtualDJ right after summer.
It's ready yet. We just need to finish referencing it in all the distribution channels, and you'll have it.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 12:24 pm
A picture maybe?

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 1:40 pm
nscode, I heard you. I do not want to use your joystick theory. Although It has crossed my mind since you mentioned it.

But then again I would feel like playing a video game instead of mixing tunes. Not the feel I was looking for.

Thanks for the input.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 2:35 pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you. My prayers have been answered. Look foward to see it. I hope it's not expensive.

----------------------------------------------------------
Sclavel Corp Rep wrote:Oh and by the way, yes we will release a small USB mixtable for VirtualDJ right after summer.
It's ready yet. We just need to finish referencing it in all the distribution channels, and you'll have it.
----------------------------------------------------------

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 2:39 pm
yes.

a little screenshot or some rough ideas of cost etc. would be great. i am getting v.excited about this prospect :)

please - can you give us something to go on this time guys :)

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 3:26 pm
:QUOTE: nscode
Demo User Posted Wed 9 Jul 03 @ 11:19:27
Maybe you can do whatever you want in this forum, but you are not the center of the world, you know, home boy! ;) :END QUOTE:......LMAO....do you drink coffee nscode?....tea?....let me offer you the beverage of your choice....lol.....kick back and listen up....lol.....DJ Homeboy may not be the center of the world.....i agree with you on this....he IS however....one of the centers of the virtualdj forum UNIVERSE.....he is one of the lesser gods here...but a god non the less....he HAS the power....better yet...he has the TECHNOLOGY to EVEAPORATE any one or group from this forum....i hope you enjoyed your beverage...as for me i am going to sign off with...HAIL TO THE CHIEF ( Homeboy ) and hope that he does not use his power on me......LMAO....

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 3:49 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Now don't say that!! It's going to go straight to his head!

Posted Wed 09 Jul 03 @ 5:36 pm
74%