Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Making a skin

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I really ant to make a skin but have read the topic and it just seems like gobbledegook.

Is there a simple explaination?

Is there a way you can modify existing skins (just the picture) and it still work with the existing xml

Basically I want to use dannydazzlers CDJ1000's picture and make it work with the existing CDJ1000 xml.

Can I do this simply

Posted Fri 06 Apr 07 @ 1:33 pm
This sounds simple, but will only work if all you are doing is changing colors of buttons.

Try to read an XML file, then refer to the guide to explain what each bit is doing.

eg,

<button action="play_pause" chan="1">
this defines a button, with the action of play or pause and activates channel 1 (left deck)
<size width="32" height="24"></size>
defines the size to be 32 pixels across and 24 pixels down. the </size> at the end tells the script this is all the information for size.
<pos x="129" y="214"></pos>
tells the program where to place the play button
<up x="0" y="1040"></up>
tells the program when the button is up (not pressed) to display the area of the image file starting at these co-ordinates (0,1040)
<over x="33" y="1040"></over>
gives the position of the area to be displayed when the mouse cursor is over the button area
<down x="66" y="1040></down>
gives the position of the area to be displayed when the button is pressed
</button>
tells the program this is the end of the button definition.

Hope this gives you a little more understanding of how the XML file relates to the BMP image.

Mykel

Posted Fri 06 Apr 07 @ 2:18 pm
I mean can you take the bmp file from one of the new skins and tune the xml file so it works on VDJ 3.4 because as I explained in my maoning post I have no need for version 4 because my version 3 is just right for me but I seem to be losing out on the new skins. I understand the "no liscence users" not being able to get their grubby mits on them but why should the rest of us miss out jst coz we dont have all the latest gadgets.

Posted Fri 06 Apr 07 @ 6:41 pm
Yes, you can remove the 4.x elements from the skin XML, like songpos waveform="yes" element and change rhythm to the old style of this setup.

I am not 100% sure how much you will need to change, but I wish you all the best,

Mykel

Posted Fri 06 Apr 07 @ 9:34 pm
How am i going to do that if I can't download the skins in the first place.

I understand what you are saying but I need the skins to try it. Can you help me out............please

Posted Sat 07 Apr 07 @ 11:46 am
I wish I were able to send you skins, but I have to respect the authors of the skins and therefore cannot send. You can contact authors directly and request skins.
(as I am only a co-author of any skins (and not the originator) I am unable to send any of the skins I have been involved in the development of.

Upon the launch of the skin-master.co.uk site See thread here, you may be able to get access to some skins from there though.

Mykel

Posted Sat 07 Apr 07 @ 10:10 pm
OK

Thank you Mykel

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 1:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)