Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I need a Idiot's Guide for updating the comment line of all my files in database

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

gulkerPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi,

After reading a good amount of theory on how to mix Harmonically, and seeing the result of my test runs in the club, I have devised a way of detecting and writing the key of the song into the comment line.

I also read and try to use the Virtual DJ database uptader without success. Could anyone please tell me step by step, if there is a way, how to make VDJ re read the comment line without starting from scratch.

If anyone interested, I'll also post the steps that I took to detect the key, write to a comment line (beleive me it was not easy, but was fun) etc.

DJ Palamuth

Posted Tue 20 Mar 07 @ 9:44 pm
serato can edit multiple id3 comment tags simulataneously, and it's free.

add all your songs to the library, ctrl+a to select all and then edit the comment field. it'll be changed on all the files selected.

Posted Tue 20 Mar 07 @ 11:15 pm
The comment tag already has a value in it. I just need VDJ to re read the comment line. VDJ shows the comment tag as blank.

So based on what you are saying if ;

1 - Select all the files (ctrl + a)
2 - And try to edit all selected, will VDJ see the comment.

I tried, it did not work.

Again, the problem is not being able to write the comment tag. The problem is, after VDJ reads and populates the database, if you make a change on the comment line, how to make VDJ re-read the comment line.

I know if I delete the database entry and file and put the file back later, VDJ treats that as new entry and reads the title+comment tag.

Posted Tue 20 Mar 07 @ 11:34 pm
gulker wrote :
The comment tag already has a value in it. I just need VDJ to re read the comment line. VDJ shows the comment tag as blank.

So based on what you are saying if ;

1 - Select all the files (ctrl + a)
2 - And try to edit all selected, will VDJ see the comment.

I tried, it did not work.

Again, the problem is not being able to write the comment tag. The problem is, after VDJ reads and populates the database, if you make a change on the comment line, how to make VDJ re-read the comment line.

I know if I delete the database entry and file and put the file back later, VDJ treats that as new entry and reads the title+comment tag.

my instructions told you how to edit the id3 tags of multiple files. vdj does not read the id3 tag correctly, so i guess what i told you doesn't help. better id3 tag reading is coming in future versions of vdj. i have no idea of you'll be able to edit multiple id3 tags in the vdj browser though.

Posted Tue 20 Mar 07 @ 11:54 pm
Thanks anewsome,

Like the subject of the discussion refers to, I needed an idiot's guide. :). I have done it in the past patiently, by deleting the datbase files, making the VDJ re analize the whole database. Event with the fraction of the songs I put into VDJ work folder ( about 10000 out of 80K) it gets tiresome after a while.

I appreciate your trying to help. By the way, as a batch tag manupilation I can recommend DR Tag +

To write the keys to a comment line I followed these steps if anyone is interested in;

1 - With the help of MP3 Tag Studio 3, I removed all the V1 and V2 ID tags, since my songs are structured in "artist - title.mp3" file format it is easy to re-create the artist and title tags later.

2 - MixMeister analized the songs writing a new tag called "INT_KEY"

3 - MP3 Tag Studio 3 can copy the info from one tag to another. So I copied the value of the tag into comment line.

4 - DR Tag + (like some tagging editors) can generate the ID tags from the file name, so "artis - title.mp3" produced me the info necessary.

Viola!

Then the problem surfaced when I need VDJ to re-scan the comment line. It does read what ever I put as new file since the tag is v1. But it does not rescan the comment line if the file is already in the database.

Again, I appreciate your help, I guess I have to wait for the next generation. Until then, re-do everything from scratch.

DJ Palamuth

Posted Wed 21 Mar 07 @ 12:07 am
i think we both agree here. the real problem is vdj doesn't read the tags correctly. that will be fixed soon enough.

Posted Wed 21 Mar 07 @ 12:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)