Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: mpeg or VOB

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was wondering what video format is best for virtual dj. Which Format is faster or what does it mean??

Posted Wed 14 Feb 07 @ 8:59 am
The different formats are just different ways the information is saved, sometimes very high quality, but it takes a large amount of space on your hard drive and then sometimes lower quality but smaller amount of space taken up on your hard drive.

Some common formats are MPEG-2, MPEG-1, DIVX, WMV (windows media video), MPEG-4.

VOB is just a name for an mpeg-2 file that comes from a DVD (it's because it has a certain picture and sound quality that is standard to the DVD format).

Lots of people who do video mixing on here use the VOB format because it's DVD quality and it doesn't take too long to get the files off a DVD onto your computer.

Some people also use DIVX as the files can be alot smaller, but it takes a long time to convert a file to DIVX, you have to find the right settings to give the quality that you want and (i think) they take more processor power to play them.

If you don't mind all of that you can get high quality videos that take up less space on your hard drive.

As far as i know most people using this professionally use VOB files because although the files are bigger, hard drives are cheap at the moment!

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Posted Wed 14 Feb 07 @ 1:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)