Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I've got a solo GIG

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi everybody!
I'll be playing at a birthday gig sometime next week from about 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm. Being a newbie and all that, i'd like to have a few pointers on how to keep things locked down for the duration....any tips, tricks, playlist suggestions (dancehall, raggaeton, hiphop) will be welcome.
I'll tell you about how it went as soon as I get back :))

Peace

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 8:23 pm
do not play your good stuff early, start off slow and let things build up. you need to hit them with that killer set in the middle of the party and then bring it home. work on making a set that will be part of your show. Save your heat to play thru out the night not all at one time. and please change the music from time to time. kids love hip-hop and reggae

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 4:41 am
Yeh, definately try and create a nice atmosphere with the music to start with, people probably won't be dancing at the 5 or 6 pm!

Also, since you havn't got loads of experience, try playing as wide a variety as possible near the start, see what goes down well, who's nodding their head in time, etc. Then later on you'll have a better idea of what's going to rock the party.

Good luck :)

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 6:07 pm
Who are you playing for, how old?

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 11:19 pm
I agree with a variety that fits the frame of you guest... I promise you that people are going to come up to you with suggestion or request... beware the people are going to ask you to play "that" song next. Take all info as future knowledge and remember your going to make so bad choices of music that might clear the floor... sometimes this happens to me at private parties, I just cut the song and play a new song. I don't beatmatch it in or mix. just hard fade to new song... this lets people know that I recognize the situation and made plans to bring the party back to life.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 11:29 pm
it never hurts to have some promo only mainstream radio.......it never hurts to ask them to give you a list of requests in advance......i always have a big jar of candy in plain sight, which turns out to be a great icebreaker.....sometimes i have someone play there own request as the quest dj

you need 15 or 16 songs per hour. make a tentative playlist in advance but be ready with 2 or 3x as many songs as the minimum.

it never hurts to be over prepared. sometimes computers and equipment let you down.....be prepared for a worst case scenario. be ontime and dressed appropriately. bring one of those ground lift plugs just in case,don't trip over yer wires,and no matter what smile ......

Posted Fri 09 Feb 07 @ 4:08 am
frodehPRO InfinityMember since 2005
This has already been mentioned, but be sure you are prepared for the worst case scenario. I've experienced computers crashing on me, VDJ crashing on me, CDs being fucked and needles being broken during a set.

If you are prepared for the worst you can't go wrong, and even though nothing bad happens you still were prepared. But remember to have a good time too. You have to take things as they come. :)

On a different note, you can't always be prepared for some things. One time some ass spilled beer all over the mixer at my club and this short circuit almost the entire PA. Shit happens :)

Posted Sat 10 Feb 07 @ 2:55 pm
Frodeh...I hope you know everyone here is either a professional DJ/CJ or aspires to be one. The use of foul language when it is not needed is a poor show of professional conduct. Granted there are times you HAVE to use it to let some one know you mean what you say, but in every day speech as a pro it is not needed. If I was looking for a DJ/CJ and heard him use that language he or she would not be hired by me. I speak from my past as I too, once used these words in everyday speech. What cured me was when someone told me that using swear words at ANY time is the result of being verbally retarded.
I do not mind admitting I can be retarded at times, but only if the need is there.
The fact that you are a full version user and have done gigs and made money shows you are a pro.
Lets keep the bar higher on this forum. Other DJ forums can't touch this one and thats because we all strive to be better than what we are and help each other out. However, all what I have said here in this post is my opinion, so please take it for what it is.....just an opinion. Thank you

Posted Sat 10 Feb 07 @ 9:40 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)