Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Tough Topic, what format/compression do you use for video??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

before I start to rip these music videos that i've recently acquired, what video format do you video guys use that still retains the good quality, but doesn't RAPE you on space too much?

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 9:52 pm
I use .vob because it gives me the best quality, and I don't care about the space. Hard drives are cheap, at least to me they are.

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 10:00 pm
with terabyte drives under $300.00 now, you're wasting your time ripping to anything other than vob....

space raping is no longer a factor, espescially in contrast to the amount of time it takes to rip and name video files....

500 gigabyte drives are $99.00 at fry's right now... you can fit 3000 vob files on a 500 gig...

why waste the time converting them to mpeg 1 or whatever?

do it once, do it right...

vob all the way...

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 10:01 pm
Use VOB files. No need to compress the videos further.

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 10:44 pm
well, why i'm asking is because my whole bag is that i'm gonna be remixing, and re creating prettymuch all of my music videos, so once i'm done with (i guess vegas, cause that seems to be the preffered program to use for editing) What kind of format should I save the end result in?? Should I also be worried about the MAC version coming out, and what formats it will support?

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 11:34 pm
Output from Vegas to MPEG-2, the only way to go. :)

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 2:35 am
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
second vote for mpeg-2

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 3:34 am
mpeg 2 / in vegas its the ntsc/dv template...just make sure the audio is checked.

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 3:56 am
MPEG-2, just like the vob files

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 4:08 am
djvintaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
It seems that most of you like vob files, well I don't :)

My workflow is like this. I use avisynth to deinterlace or do a inverse telecine.
I edit the video in vegas to make extended versions of the tracks as well as an original edit where I dub the audo with cd audio. I often edit out unwanted dialogue or SFX and brekas in the videos. I then save them as avi with xvid compression, the audio is in .wav format. I could use mp3, but it would take another step as vegas won't let me save xvid with mp3 audio, and the difference in filesize is minimal compared to the space consumed by the video.

The reason I do this is that I really don't like the way interlaced and telecined material is displayed on a progressive monitor.

It took a lot of research to learn the methods needed, and it's a lot of work editing all those videoes, but the end result is so much better.

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 10:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)