Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Music DVD's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey guys

I've been checking out the forums for dvd info. Seems like there are loads of posts about it, but they all seem to refer to promo only dvd's and the like.

I've never used video at a gig before, but am quite excited about the possibilities it brings. I'm going out today to buy a music dvd to check it out.

Can someone let me know about ripping dvd's? I'm buying it from HMV. Is it just a case of using the VDJ DVD ripper facility and then playing it using vdj? Or (as I expect) is it a bit more of a pain in the ass than this?

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 12:18 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
beware alot of music dvds forbid public proformance so its ilegal to rip and use them

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 12:48 pm
Skyfxl wrote :
beware alot of music dvds forbid public proformance so its ilegal to rip and use them

Don't most (if not all) CD's forbid public performance as well? And yet we do it anyway???

What would you suggest instead if it's illegal to rip them? What do the rest of the VJ's use? Purely downloaded materials?

Cheers

P

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 1:40 pm
check out vmsmedia.com for music videos

just as good as promo only

also check out ERG

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 4:16 pm
Thanks DJBIGMARK, i'll check them out.

I bought Clubmix 2007 today. It has a dvd disc. On the DVD there are .bup, .ifo and .vob files. I take it when I rip the files I'm only looking to rip the VOB's???

I'm still a bit concerned about Sky's comments above. Anyone offer any more info on this?

Cheers...(",)

P

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 5:10 pm
ScreenplayVJpro also provides music videos. There also supply ERG and TM Century. So if you planning about getting the video fromERG of TM Century you better off getting dircetly from Doug at Screenplay.
VMS has music videos as well but I dont think their product is as good as Promo Only.
DJ Angel S

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 7:12 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Pionara wrote :
Skyfxl wrote :

Don't most (if not all) CD's forbid public performance as well? And yet we do it anyway???

What would you suggest instead if it's illegal to rip them? What do the rest of the VJ's use? Purely downloaded materials?

Cheers

P

not all are ilegal some come royalty free at a little bit more expensive prive , if you purcase a music/video licence you can use them all :)

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 2:50 pm
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Well if your going to rip them, you will want to use vobblanker if vdj ripper doesnt work. I have posted on the forum within the month about issues with vdj ripper on screenplay dvds. ALso video's you find on the interent, from what I have found are poor quality compared to what you get with .vobs
Unfortuanately the newsgroups dont even have high quality videos. ScreenPlay or someone other company needs to offer something online, with high bandwidth so that we can pay for yearly subscription, and download what we need. Kinda how the MP3's are today. However Video is a new market, and it will take time for the Vendors to adjust. My12inch.com I tried out, however the videos arent of high quality.

Posted Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 4:57 pm
And so it begins…:o)

I tried out my music dvd with the VDJ DVD ripping program - wasn’t very good (no offence developers!). After ripping to vob, all I got when I played it through vdj was audio static and a grey screen. There was sound in the background, but the static was far louder, and the video wasn’t showing very well at all either. Thought it may have been due to the limitations on my machine hardware wise, so I tried the new vob file on my gig machine, which is rather superior to my home machine, but exactly the same thing happened.

So I checked out the forums for info on this, and found LOADS of posts about it. After downloading trials of SmartRipper, DVD Decrypter, Jodix, Xvid, etc, etc, etc and getting nowhere, I found ImToo 2. Just the trial version and I tried it out. Superb!!! I ripped a couple of chapters to mpeg and mpeg2 and even on my home machine they work perfectly. When using video, my cpu usage was up at like 90%, but on my gig machine it was way down at about 30-40%. With hardware acceleration either on or off they ran so smoothly, sounded good and were synched (vocals & graphically) perfectly, or with VERY LITTLE latency.

So, tonight I’m buying ImToo 2…which is only £20 ($40usd, €30) and I’ll be ripping like mad I think…(“,)

Anyway, this brings me onto my question and reason for the post: In my gig machine I have an Nvidia 6600gt. On the card itself there are two dvi outputs and I think a VIVO output. I got one DVI/VGA converter plug with the card, which I use for my flat screen (SVGA). So, I have one spare DVI output socket.

My thinking is this: If I want to connect to a projector/plasma screen, I can get either another DVI/VGA converter plug (or just a dvi cable) for hooking up to the source and use the ‘spare’ dvi socket on my card. If I want to do karaoke with just a TV I can use a cable with a VIVO plug on one end and a scart lead to the tv end.

Can somebody confirm if my thinking is correct? I’m sure it is…but just want to check with the masters.

Cheers…and keep spinnin’…(",)

P

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 11:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)