Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VERY IMPORTANT HELP NEEDED...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
HI,

sorry for the urgency, but I have had 2 club nights ruined and not sure the future tonight due to this problem.

Dell XPS, Lappy,

Prsonus Firebox external soundcard hooked up 4 pin firewire.

history...

Last Sat night, at 2:30 ALL THE MUSIC SHUT off competely, and it said ERROR IN THE ASIO SOUND CARD. I restarted twice, same error!

Went home that night, plugged in at home FINE ALL WEEK.

Went to the club last night, got there plugged in, ERROR IN ASIO...
On the presonus there is a blue light for connected and red light for not coneected. It was flickering.

There was sometimes when it was on blue and still said error (not seeing the card)

I was thinking it is the connection. Changed the cable last night, still flickering or solid red.

Then it stayed blue, and WORKED- FIRST SONG played 1 minute, THEN DEAD SILENT (1200 people in the room).

Right now it is on SOLID RED and under presonus its says no device.

I am thinkng it may be

* the port where I plug in is damaged (may try PCI connection)
* The soundcard is shot?
* The driver?
* maybe some CONFLICT?

THe only thing that I ever did between the 6 months it woked fine and last Saturday was, I hooked up my laptop MIDI to a pioneer mixer. Could this have disrupted a connection? Obviously I got rid of that wire after last Saturday; and the problem is still here. It wokred all wek at home and got to the club at nothing. At home I didn;t plug and unplug it.

Last night, if i wiggled the part were the firewire meets the laptop it would soemtimes go blue/red, but today no matter what I do, SOLID RED

When I go to control Panel sounds, to see soundcard, now not there sometimes,

THIS IS VERY BAD- I do not feel it is VDJ per say, but I am sooo stuck and worried.

Thanks.

B

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 5:42 pm

Try reinstall the driver, and see if there is any updates too.
And test extensively at home after, to see if its all rocking solid..

I feel your pain, worst thing that can happen at a gig

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 5:46 pm

Also contact the support of the soundcard. It might be an issue they are aware of, and know how to fix

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 5:47 pm

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 5:52 pm
I hope it's not damaged.....I had excellent support from Presonus for my Firebox.

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 5:54 pm
it seems to me you may have a bad connection at the laptop the sound card or both......only change one variable at a time til you can track it down.

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 6:03 pm
if you were ok previously i don't think it's a driver or irq problem...is the lappy operating normally when not running music??

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 6:07 pm
Thanks for the all the return messages-

VDJ works fine otherwise
Computer works fine otherwise.
Can't contact Presonus today (it's Saturday)
I can re-install the drivers.

Can you remind me how I can use VDJ out to the club without the Asio driver/TCCD?

I forgot how to get sound sound out to the club if my lappy stops seeing the Presonus.

Right ow the good thing is, the Presonus is on RED, the computer is not seeing the card at all. This is better than intermittent.

Do you think I should try going from Firebox to lappy by PCMCA card instead?

Can there be a conflict (doubt it?)

is it a coincidence this happened last saturday 5 hours after using the MIDI to the Pioneer for the first time?

B

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 6:15 pm

There can be a conflict yes, check IRQs

Also, first time with timecode, so its the first time you used it in asio mode?

Try the PCMCA port also, try to narrow down what it can be.
PC's have "personalities"... ;)

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 6:21 pm
Nor,

No, have been using timecodes for 6 months- actually not a single thing new in 6 months except last week I hooked up midi to the club's pioneer mixer. Previously I was hooking up midi using my x-session.

When it happened last Sat nite for the 1st time I thought it had something to do with the MIDI, came home hooked up- no prob- used it for 7 days shutting system on and off maybe 35 times, BUT NEVER UNPLUGGED THE Firebox. Unplugged went to club last night, ERROR!

Can you remind me how to check for IRQ conflict?

B

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 6:27 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
drivers can become currupt with no warning

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 8:26 pm
Wait- I spoke too soon,

d/l new drivers- it worked, thought I was fine- then went back to not working.

I am so frustrated.

I doubt it is a IRQ conflict- the PCMCA card did not do anything- maybe I need a new soundcard?

Any suggestions?

B

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 8:35 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
how old is the card?

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 8:36 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Dude, that sucks!!! It sounds like a bad soundcard to me. I just got a firebox, have had it hooked up all week to my DJM800, and haven't had any problems yet.

Try going to Guitar Center and asking if you can hook up one of their fireboxes to your laptop. If the new one works, then you know it's the soundcard. If it's not the soundcard, it could be your 4-pin. In that case, you should try picking up a PCMCIA firewire card (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6307454&st=pcmcia&type=product&id=1074787928197) and giving that a try.

You should also try it without hooking up the TCCD's to see if that's causing an issue.

I used to have a Dell, and when I used the firebox it had a skipping problem, so I wonder if the firewire ports on the dell are the problem.

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 8:39 pm
Hoffman wrote :
Nor,

No, have been using timecodes for 6 months- actually not a single thing new in 6 months except last week I hooked up midi to the club's pioneer mixer. Previously I was hooking up midi using my x-session.

B

Think you answered your issues yourself.
Seems pretty likely that its the new added midi that is messing up things.

And it might be a bad card, as your card is loved by so many at the forum.

Can you try without the midi, like your old setup? Does it work?

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 8:44 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I don't try to look smart to you, but if i was in your place to gig 1200 people, i would carry everyhting double, even underwear !!!

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 8:51 pm
Nor, any ideas how installing the M-Audio UNO cord for MIDI may have messed up VDJ ?

Posted Sat 27 Jan 07 @ 11:41 pm

Have probably not messed up VDJ ;)
But something on your card/driver/settings...

I read that someone else had it running your soundcard fine in midi and audio, but seems that this is what causes issues for you.

Maybe a conflict with previous x-session drivers?
Maybe something with midi mapping for X-session you've set in VDJ?

Try "elimination-method", try one thing at a time, until you locate the issue.

I dont know what it is, but just seems its something with the midi, as it worked good for you before that

Posted Sun 28 Jan 07 @ 12:08 am
I bring double of everything except ver. 4.2, when that quits the old ver. 3.4 tends to run flawlessly, been asking for three months why the new version can't do the same. It seems like a lot of us are on edge (esp. if your not a real expert computer guy) with 4.2 .

Posted Sun 28 Jan 07 @ 8:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)