Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Another YouTube Vid. - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Made another Vid for YouTube.
Actully a freind took the vids from the dj booth with his Digital camera.
so audio and video quality is not what I'd normally like

Thoughts, comments, rude remarks?

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NIghtClub

Posted Thu 25 Jan 07 @ 11:59 pm

why is that guy groping my girl? ;)hehe

Nice vid, nice place:)

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 12:09 am
It's actually a difficult room to work - cause we play rock, I've seen respectable CLub DJ's Wash out there cause they don't know the Genre.

Strange cause basically - get drunk and party - pretty easy

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 12:15 am

I know exactly what you mean..
I'm a club dj doing house/dance mainly, and some urban/r&b.

but I did some gigs sundays some time ago, for bartenders (their day off), and it was all rock theme.
Its quite different, and hard... And its not about beatmixing, but about builds and tune skills..
I had a hard time, to say the least.. lol

So respect! Rock on

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 12:18 am
The next one I have planned shows the bar in full party mode but that vid will have examples of how to beat match in Cross-genre formats

Example - Industrial with heavy metal, and pop rock with hard rock.

Unforntunatly that will be just a slide show.

DJ Marcel

P.S.
We do play all the regular music the "dance clubs" play, It's about a 60:40% split. Dance : rock
But we are known as one of the only clubs in town that plays the heavy stuff on a regualr basis.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 12:28 am
I had a blast playing just that.. sundays, lots a rock, but also some regular chart hits.

Some rock tunes can be beatmixed nicely sure.. "I was made for loving you" at 128bpm goes nice into some Marilyn Manson tune.. so its possible..

In the end, at those sundays, I did favor rock tunes that had a bpm that was easy to mix with, as it made it more fun..

and cross-genre mixing is also fun.. do some company gigs (rare), but I love em.. just party party, and blend anything.. You know, 128bpm for that Kiss tune, is the same beats pr min as disco and house songs, so sure you can have lots of mixing fun, regardless of genres;) "Call on me" vs "I was made for lovin".... makes people dance;) hehe

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 12:33 am
Nice vid DJ_Marcel_1!

I just wanted to address one thing that you said to me over on the "Serato to release Video Version" thread though (before it got locked). :)

conquest wrote :
...YOur Freinds whose names you keep dropping over nad over and over and over...

I think you've got me beat in "name dropping" Marcel. ;)

If I see one more "the Purple Onion is the greatest club in the world" and "we shut down another club because"... we must remind everyone again that, "the Purple Onion is the greatest club in the world", I'm gonna start f*rting purple onion fumes. =P

Yes, all less than 20 people (what's the capacity in there BTW, 50?) in those videos look like they're having fun, but come on, I dj backyard house parties bigger than that every weekend. ;)

If you're ever in Los Angeles, I'l take you to one of our clubs here in Hollywood like the one we're doing tomorrow night http://www.legendentertainment.com/articles/1537 at the Garden of Eden http://www.gardenofedenla.com/decision.htm (yes, that's Playboy founder Hugh Heffner with a few of the Playboy Bunny's in the photo gallery on that site... but I heard that he did say that he would rather be at the Purple Onion though)

Or myself and Anewsome can show you around Orange County's hot spots where we both live near eachother and my dj crew does Friday nights: http://www.clubvegas.us/default.asp or where he spins on Friday nights: http://www.foxsportsgrill.com/irvine/

Capacity at any of those clubs is GUARANTEED over 50. There's a hole in my wall that fits at least that many as well.

Here's the invitation I posted yesterday on the forums here for anyone in the Los Angeles area tomorrow night:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/64014/General_Discussion/Only_1_CREW_can_bring_2_COMPETING_LA_radio_stations__TOP_TURNTABLISTS_together_.html?highlight=only%201%20crew

But again, nice video and "Rock On" DJ_Marcel_1! :)

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 1:19 am

Come on... lets stop this. ;)

We are all here of common interest, thats VDJ and DJing, so lets keep it clean and friendly..

The my d**k is bigger than yours arguments can be held elsewhere;)

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 1:34 am
Ok.

I'm just not a fan of hypocrisy, and found this laughably hypocritical. =)

But again, SERIOUSLY, nice video and "Rock On" DJ_Marcel_1! :)

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 1:35 am
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
ConQuest wrote :
Ok.

But again, SERIOUSLY, nice video and "Rock On" DJ_Marcel_1! :)

Your a bad bad man! hehe ;-) LMAO

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 1:52 am
Well now I did ask for rude remarks and I'm glad ConQuest didn;t let me down.

Yes I do enjoy working at the Club. Very Much

And yes It is satisfying to know that A competitors Business failed that was directly across the street.

And I'll draw attention to me self agrandizing the club I work at & point out the parallel with ConQuest for his mac OS rants

Oh yes - I know there are many clubs out there with a larger capacity than the place I work at (500 btw)
But none of them (in my market) seem to last.

shut down for letting minors
shut down for not having liqour liability insurance
shut down for gunshots
shut down for stabbings
shut down for gang violence (sound familiar down there in L.A.?)

The expected life span of a night spot in Edmonton is 6-10 years
2-4 years is the norm

21 years is a Major acheivment

About the same age as apple/mac isn't it?

Might I point out this little slideshow vid that shows the club on week ends in full swing.

[embedded below - Dj In Norway]

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 2:06 am
Posted for Marcel (html code) :

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 2:14 am
thanks

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 2:15 am
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
Well now I did ask for rude remarks and I'm glad ConQuest didn;t let me down.

I wasn't being rude, I was just being consistent. ;)

DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
Yes I do enjoy working at the Club. Very Much

I noticed. =)

DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
And yes It is satisfying to know that A competitors Business failed that was directly across the street.

And I'll draw attention to me self agrandizing the club I work at & point out the parallel with ConQuest for his mac OS rants

We both LOVE kicking the competition, don't we? ;)

Yours is other clubs, mine is turntablist haters... as well as miCrapsoft and winBlows. =P

DJ Marcel_1Oh yes - I know there are many clubs out there with a larger capacity than the place I work at (500 btw)[/quote wrote :

Oops! I missed the capacity by a "0". =P

DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
But none of them (in my market) seem to last.

shut down for gunshots
shut down for stabbings
shut down for gang violence (sound familiar down there in L.A.?)

Are you out there in those infamous Canadian ghettos were them gangstas walk them streets? Is there a South Central, Canada? Well, you guys do have an awful lot of the color red in the Canadian flag... =P

And yes, I just attended yet another funeral several months ago, so I'm a little too familiar with the loss of life in LA.

Do you all remember the post I made in the "Better TC Vinyls, When?" thread about colors, and where VDJ users like "Funky-T" and "dj t boogie" validated my suggestion/concern?
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/62780/General_Discussion/Better_TC_Vinyls__When_.html?page=3

HEY!!! What was the final decision on the TCV color requests anyway?!

The expected life span of a night spot in Edmonton is 6-10 years
2-4 years is the norm

DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
21 years is a Major acheivment

Yes it is.

However, in the spirit of the "my d**k is bigger than yours [ as norway so eloquentally put it in his post above =P ]", the event we're doing tomorrow night, "The Source", was our very first regular weekly LA club that we started doing back in 1992. It was originally held at the Variety Arts Center... established in 1924. ;)
http://www.downtownnews.com/articles/2007/01/08/news/news02.txt

That was also the club and the year where the Beat Junkies were formed... there I go again DJ_Marcel_1! I'm dropping those names again! =P

Here's some CRAPPY cameraphone photos that I've taken the past couple of weeks and have yet to edit and/brighten:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43404228@N00/

DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
About the same age as apple/mac isn't it?

Apple Computer Inc. (now just "Apple Inc." as of a couple of weeks ago, Tuesday Jan.9th 2007) = 1976
Mac OS public release= 1984 (yes you are correct here Marcel)

Apple Inc. is celebrating it's 30th anniversary all throughout this year and beyond. It started the celebration with the announcement of Apple TV and the Apple iPhone. =)

DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
Might I point out this little slideshow vid that shows the club on week ends in full swing.

I can't see squat! =P

(seems to not be embedded improperly) ;)

EDIT:
THERE we go... much better! =)

Good crowd DJ_Marcel_1!

[quote=DJ Marcel_1]DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Yes, we know! =)

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 2:58 am
MODS: Please delete this accidental blank post.

Thanks! =)

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 3:08 am
FIRST OF ALL: LMAO!

2nd of all. I use windows, I like windows but EVERYONE knows Mac's are better for anything audio related FULLSTOP! I'm in my second year of sound engineering and I had to switch from windows to mac for all my stuff and I hated it!! But now its fine, a hell of a lot more stable and lets be honest------looks SOOOOO much COOLER! hehe!

And now I put forward a question to Mr Marcel - Whats the name of those songs from your slideshow dude? They're cool! Love that kinda sound (what I like to call the Global DeeJays Sound) I'm talk about the first couple of tunes, first two I think!

Rory!

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 3:46 am
We're more than happy to entertain you Rory05! ;)

Yup, Apple's Macs look great AND actually work... WHAT A CONCEPT!

Macs are a LOT more stable out of the box and there's NO NEED to initially tweak and then constantly maintain them in order to keep them that way, even if you know how to (like me).

Most VDJ users will learn this cold, hard truth as soon as the Mac version of Virtual DJ and Virtual Vinyl are released... I can already hear the sound of 4+million windows pc's running Virtual DJ being thrown into trash cans simultaneously, and then having this site go down because the bandwidth limit gets exceeded with all the simultaneous downloads of the FREE VDJ Mac cross-grade! =P

Then we'll end up having separate Mac forums because we don't want to have to read through all of the "My windows Piece of Crap [PC] computer's registry needs to be cleaned because it Blue Screened at my club last night!", as well as the "Where can I get the earlier version of my controllers drivers because the newest ones keep freezing/crashing my windows pc" threads.

Yet I digress, please redirect your Mac vs. windows comments here Rory O5!:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/62763/General_Discussion/The_Mac_vs_PC_thread_(only_open_thread_regarding_the_topic)_____).html?highlight=mac%20vs%20pc%20thread

Back on topic:

DJ_MARCEL_1 AND THE PURPLE ONION ROCK... WoooooooHoooooo!!!!!!
(just like Macs)

=D

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 4:44 am
Here's the compleat playlist.

One Night in Bangkok - Vinalshakers (remake of an mid 80's song)
BLack Girl white boy - Kash v INXS (remake of late 80's inxs tune)
Ain't no other man - Christina Aguilara (junior vasquez mix)
Sexy Back - Justin timberlake (album mix)
SexBomb - Tom Jones (disco cut)

The reamke of old *0's songs seems to be the "in" thing right now.

Not so sure I like that - I lived through the 80's the first time
Kinda hard to live through 80's remixed.

not a lot of real talent came out of the 80's - lots of flash though.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 11:16 am
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
Here's the compleat playlist.

not a lot of real talent came out of the 80's - lots of flash though.

ROFL! Some of th shit you guys come out with is hilarious!! But so true to!! hehe

Cheers for the tracks listings dude.

Rory

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 3:12 pm
ConQuest wrote :
We're more than happy to entertain you Rory05! ;)

=D

Glad to hear it!! :-) Tis why I'm hear! hehe

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 3:13 pm
95%