Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: End of year taxes on mobile gigs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does most mobile djs do taxes or pocket the cash under the table? I've thought about getting into the mobile dj world.

Posted Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 11:29 pm
Dam,, under the table ,,,, What’s that,, never herd of such a thing,, Under the table???…. Sounds like a question for the IRS,,, You should call them.. (319) 364-5327

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 2:27 am
It's a matter of integrity and legality. noonne would know if you pocket the monney and never claim it. Morally, you could probably handle it, but you are "stealing" from the government. If you wish to continue to be within the lines of the law, claim it. besides, any expenses you incur (equipment, travel, meals on the job, etc) can be claimed as deductions which will lower your taxable income. Then again, I'm not a tax lawyer nor am I offering any legal advise by my posting. Noone here will condone evading taxes.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 3:35 am
With a question like that, let me be the first to tell you. No, you are not ready for the mobile DJ world. So, you thought we would all come here to confess some dirty little sin, incriminate ourselves? Tax evasion is a very serious crime.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 3:52 am
Well put...

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 6:59 am
A guy I knew was working 70 miles from his home town in the UK and the tax people came in and took his photograph. They got his home address and he was in big big trouble. Had a lot of tax to pay and fines too.
Trouble that we don't want.

Best to employ a good accountant and claim all the expenses you can.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 8:42 pm
A good tax accountant can be a very good thing.

Though you might want a second opinion - just as chosing a doctor or laywer - accountants can seem very good or very dodgy. Be a good idea to familiaize yourself with tax laws (as much as you can stomache) if you accountant turns out to be claiming your cat as a dependant and your goldfish as a spouse.

Revenue Canada reveiws every freaking tax return filed. Takes them all year but they have people that's all they do to catch stuff like that. (My sister did this as a work placment when she was in university)

Make sure you keep recipts.
Make sure expeses are legit.

"Cause I'm the taxman, And you're working for no-one else but me!!!!"

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion Nightclub

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 8:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)