Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Heres a topic, legallity of playing videos in public....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

K, I have to be true here, my inspiration for being a VJ is dj 2ndnature. I think the 2004 routine was such a mind blowing demo, that I've been thinking about doing this for some time now. Now on his most recent demo, he uses a couple clips from family guy. I'm next to my cousin (Who happens to be in the movie theater union) and hes telling me that for SURE this guy has to have a team of lawyers that he pays, because to use clips from movies/tv shows is copyright infringement, and especially for a demo, he is using their product to make money. Now......

One of my 'things' is that I was planning on taking this to the next level, and use clips from movies, and shows that I could work into my mix. Does that mean that my dream is over?? Should I be worried about getting sued just cause i'm expressing my musical and creative tallent???????

Sure hope someone has some good news for me, and some useful info on this, because I want to get this straightened out right now before Igo spend a bunch of money on a new PC that i'm not gonna use....

Thanx in advance....
-Schmidty

Posted Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 8:13 am
dj schmidty wrote :
Should I be worried about getting sued just cause i'm expressing my musical and creative tallent???????

You can "express your musical and creative talents", as long as you don't use some one else's "musical and creative talents", without their permission. Copyright laws are quite simple, and not hard to understand. I don't want you to use my product, that I worked hard on, to further your own goals. This is nothing new, and you can bet, that 2nd nature has gotten permission to use those clips. Just because you paid for the Advil, does not mean you have a right to copy the formula, and make your own, and sell it.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 8:38 am
What about using videos that i've obtained other than promo only, or legally downloaded, like say off of ebay, or ripped off of MTV/BET/The Tube ??

I've seen another vj on this board with a demo video, and in the video I noticed that on the bottme right, theres a "BET" logo.

What about when DJs use audio clips from movies in their set? Are they technically breaking the law, but chancing that they are not going to get a call from that person's laywer??

Posted Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 8:37 pm
Did you pay to download those from MTV/BET, if not then I would say those aren't legal for you to use to make money IMHO.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 9:26 pm
What id I own the dvd of say, "Spaceballs" and I want to use a clip of dark helmet saying "I see your schwartz is as big as mine" in my mix. Scratch it, or what ever. I can't use it even though I own a copy of the music?? I bought it legally??

Posted Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 10:49 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
you would have to pay a royalty to the owners of the films copyright

Posted Fri 19 Jan 07 @ 11:53 pm
Using the clip to play at a party is the same as playing music at a party. It only becomes illegal when you start making profit. IE selling mix video dvd's or mix cd's. besides there is no video police that will coming to your party to shut you down and take your equipment.

Posted Sat 20 Jan 07 @ 12:05 am
UNless your in Canada then We have the AVLA.

These little guys can and will shut you down if they find pirated music. They come into the club and check up on music every year or so.

Now about video clips they just look at it the same way - own it legit or get shut down.

Posted Sat 20 Jan 07 @ 1:53 am
wow im not comin to canada anytime soon!!! for you to get busted in my part of town, sombody has to make a complaint about you havin illegal music or videos. like the one guy said, if u start selling video mixes and make a (big) profit off it, some hater can blow the whistle on you and call the riaa and then they will investigate you and sue you til you have nothing left!!! it happened to one of my friends. you have to be pretty hated and piss off alot of people to get somebody to make a complaint tho so if u don't have to worry about that, then its all good.

Posted Sat 20 Jan 07 @ 9:37 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)