Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ATTN: Funkturnal

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

WHat kind of soudcard are you using? The video you posted I've already showed to like, 4 of my dj buddies that all have serado, or tracktor, and they wanna sell it and get VDJ Lol...

I already bought the software, but now i'm trying to spec out a cpu that can handle the scratching that I want to do with the videos. Your video seems to be right on with the vinyl, so if you don't mind what soundcard/cpu/video card/ram combo you using?

Thanx
-Schmidty

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 8:47 pm

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 8:56 pm
Wow, 11ms Latency????????????????

How is that possible, and still get vinyl like reactions from the program? is there a slight delay when you scratch, or is it right on???

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 1:10 am

The Serato soundcard has about 11ms latency (10 to 24ms .. depending on setup)

But with VirtualDJ can use any soundcard, so you can get even lower latency that that ;)
All depends on how good card you use.. And some PCI cards can deliver lower than that.
(Serato card uses usb).
Good card, and good ASIO drivers, and you are set...

There is NO delay, when having this low latency as such cards deliver.. its whats called "zero latency". Not noticable, and feels as using regular vinyls.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 1:17 am
Ahh.. Ok ok, sorry for the many posts, and many questions, but I jsut got the software for xmas, and i'm DYING to use it. I learned from rebuilding 3 cars, that its best to do things ONCE the right way, so before I jsut go buy stuff and see if it works, I want to make sure that i'm going to get the end result that i'm after, ya know.......

Ok, so the driver is just as important as the ASIO soud card, my buddy has this gaudy looking soundcard that came with Tracktor, I may ask to borough his box for a few days just to play around with the settings and stuff, but as in another post that I just put up, I am planning on doing a desktop (Simply because i'm a firm believer that laptops are just simply put, not as powerful as desktops because of the amount of power POSSIBLY consumed).

That being said, I just did a little searching around, and found this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOD1010LT

Its a PCI sound card from M-Audio, and they advertise ZERO Latency. Not sure if this is old news or not, but I wonder how this would react to the VDJ software. Now you say its as important to have a good driver, and I read somewhere that there is a generic ASIO driver called asio4all, would somethingl ike that utilize the most capability out of any soundcard, including PCI ones?

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 1:28 am

There are no such thing as zero latency, but any card delivering super low latency will often say it has zero.. But generally speaking that would be 5-15ms or even more..

PCI has asio drivers as well, its not exclusive to USB cards..

Asio4all is an emulator/generic driver, that can make non asio cards run in a sort of emulated asio mode, and it works pretty well..

What you need to get is a card that has TWO STEREO line ins, and TWO STEREO line outs, so you can connect your timecode vinyls, and have two outputs for external mixer (if you want to use that now, or later).

There are several good card solutions:

USB : U46dj, Maya 44 usb
FIREWIRE: Prosonic , Shaffire LE etc
PCI: Maya 44 PCI, M-Audio cards (several, such as Delta 44), Soundblaster X-Fi (Elite Pro and more)

M-Audio makes good cards, so the one you found is working good too..

Check that the card you get has STEREO ins, as many pro/semi-pro cards might have several inputs that are mono only (mic/instrument in).

Hardware preamp for phono is also a plus, so you can bypass using real vinyls.

By the way, Numark is VERY soon releasing a dedicated card for Numark Virtual Vinyl/Virtual DJ, specially made for this software ;)

Hope that helps :)

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 1:39 am
Can't comment on soundcards because I only have expierience with the Serato one. As far as feel is concerned, if you familiar with Serato the program......if feels like when the setting is set to about at 7 (usb audio buffer size) theres just a hay, but you don't notice that type of stuff unless your doing some real deep 2 clicks etc. Most people never do scrathces like that in their lifetime. Even serato at 0 you can feel a needle of latency. Its just that digital world. Maybe when different controllers come out with direct connects without the analog audio outputs (kinda like the icdx) that latency thing might go away. I think you'll be happy with the performence. Remember its video.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 1:45 am
Yes, actually this post of yours helps me out a great deal. Thank you very much. I was reading over at the VJ Forums, that someone had the idea of using 2 sound cards to greatly diminish latency, and dedicate one sound card per TCV. Would tihs be redundant, and useless, or does he have a point?

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 1:50 am
Hmm, can't say that I've ever used it, cept this one time in a DJ store, and was NOT impressed at any latency, it just seemed VERY laggy, didn't like it at all.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 1:57 am
well it wasn't setup right because it would be impossible for me to pull off those scratches in the video with a delay....I couldn't do it.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 2:10 am

SSL is known to have great scratch, and used by lots of star scratchers.. So think the shop had set it up all wrong ;)

11 ms latency is not very laggy at all ;) its super low

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 2:14 am
tru, the guy that works there is a real jack ass anyway, he was trying to sell it to me, and got on it, and I thought he sounded like shit (As a scratcher) wasn't on beat or anything. Then I got on it, and I had to compensate for the lag that was on the vinyl, but I still souded more on beat then him. Yea, I think that must have bee the case. Sure wish that I could see it live, and see for myself what 11ms "feels" like, so I have a better understanding.

Oh btw, looking at the delta 44 PCI, with the add-on box (Not the spagetti of wires one) Its actually alot cheaper that I thought. $200 aint bad at all.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 2:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)