Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Yahoo Music

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey guys. Hope all is well.

Ok, silly question. I signed up to Yahoo Music the other night, but everytime I clicked on 'Buy' beside a track name, it took me to another website and asked me if I wanted to 'buy' the single..you know, buy it and have it delivered for like £4.99. Is it just me...or is this odd? I thought YM was a download service that you paid for...like Napster? Is this not the case?

If so, great, but how the hell do you download a track?

Can anyone suggest and good download services where you can download a track instantly (similarly to the way you can with Napster) but not Napster, Beatport or anything like that. I'm looking for a site that offers access to all the latest music, chart releases, commercial stuff, cheesy, dancy, oldies, etc...a bit like the HMV Digital service.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 1:27 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 1:30 pm
Hmmm...allofmp3.com is just about as bad as Limewire. While the fact that tracks are like 3 pence is wonderful, I don't think it's legal to download and use them in the UK. This site has been covered in the boards before now, and something to do with Russian Law (it's actually a russian site) says it's ok to get a whole album for like one pound, but pretty much every other country in the world doesn't agree with this.

I'll check out the others. Ta

(",)

P

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 1:38 pm
all of mp3 was actualy cleared as legal as it is correctly licenced in its own country

much to the distaste of many people =)

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 2:44 pm
Are you saying it's now legal for us (those in the UK anyway) to use this service - downloading tunes for like pennies a time?

Did allofmp3.com go through the same kind of thing that Napster/Kazaa did?

(",)

P

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 4:33 pm
it turned out its legal because its legal there

and local law takes president :) aparently in this case ;)

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 4:36 pm
Ok...is it just me...or does that sound too good to be true?

Are you sure?

P

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 4:53 pm
Ok...is it just me...or does that sound too good to be true?

Are you sure?

P

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 4:55 pm
it was on the news :)

alot of people took the micky out of the licencing ppl :)

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 6:01 pm
Hmmm. Strange. I've just found this on the AllofMp3.com site:

"Is it legal to download music from AllOFMP3.com?

The availability over the Internet of the ALLOFMP3.com materials is authorized by the license # LS-3М-05-03 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society (ROMS) and license # 006/3M-05 of the Rightholders Federation for Collective Copyright Management of Works Used Interactively (FAIR). In accordance to the licenses' terms MediaServices pays license fees for all materials downloaded from the site subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All these materials are solely for personal use. Any further distribution, resale or broadcasting are prohibited.

The works available from ALLOFMP3.com are protected by the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights" and are for personal use of a buyer. Commercial use of such material is prohibited. Recording, copying, distribution on any media is possible only upon special consent of a Rightholder.

The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users."

So basically, it's just the same as the rest of them and the same as playing from cd?

(",)

P

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 7:43 pm
Well, AllofMP3.com doesn't seem to be accepting payments just now via credit card, so I guess that's a no go area. I also tried Napster, which is ok I suppose, although I was having problems using it through VDJ, so that's no use. Yahoo music doesn't seem to let me download any music. HMV Digital was just complete garbage (which I was quite surprised at) and so, after more searching of good download sites, I found a relatively easy to use site...at...believe it or not...WOOLWORTHS!!! (might mean a bit more to uk readers)

Anyway, digital tracks range from £0.59 to £0.89 i think. Digital Albums, of which there is a good selection, start at £5.99. Well, this is the lowest I've seen yet.

Clicking on this link will take you to the woolworths music catalogue. You can order cd's for delivery to your house or download them straight from the site. It's very easy to use and registration and stuff only takes 2 minutes or something.

Please note that this site has loads of chart stuff and is more like HMV.co.uk than Beatport or something like that, so it may be better for those DJ's who do mobile work/parties etc as opposed to clubwork. However, in saying that, I'm sure there's something for everyone.

I'm sure you'll agree it's very simple...and pretty good.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 11:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)