Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Auto Gain - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
If this actualy worked that would be nice, i dont know what its using to calculate the gain sometimes because some songs are just WAY WAY off. im used to using the gain controlls on my mixer to compensate for this but whats the point in a feature that doesnt work.

i have it set to 'allways 0db' and the output acaualy tends to be about that but for some songs its just totaly wron and i have no idea what its even doing, the song comes in a BOOM its going to blow up my speakers/ears or shhh, its very very quiet its just THAT wrong that im wondereing if its even working at all and thers not just some bug in the code that noones ever bothered to sort out, it just pain doesnt work

Posted Mon 15 Jan 07 @ 2:44 am
djbiggaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have exactly the same problem, apparently it's caused by differing bitrates. Not sure if the software can be modified to take bit rate into account?

Posted Mon 15 Jan 07 @ 5:51 pm
I would like to see the channel gains in the software cranked to the max that the soundcard will allow. Then I can dial down my line gain on the external mixer and adjust as nessesary. Right now I have it set at "Always 0" I would prefer to have it at "Always Max" or "Always 75%" something like the unity gain point on sound re-enforcement consoles

This way perhaps the volume level coming out of soundcards might be on par with voume levels out of cd players.

Mixers were made for cd players, not soundcards

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 5:02 am
there is a standardised level for line input, 1.5V (@0db)

one other industry standard is .75V (-3db) used on some poweramps for example.

often good DJ equipment will put out an above-line signal in order to provide a strong signal and a signal that will be more capable of driving a mixer and its outputs to its potential. (also strong signals that are then attenuated back to normal level at their destination are less susceptible to interference.)

so if it says 0bd that does actualy mean 100% so your soundcard *should* be at 100% volume.

although for the mostpart any 2 songs that are both 0db (accurding to VDJ) will be 2 completely different volumes. its just not very good at its job (the autogain) im used to matching finely with the gain pots on my mixer but it would be nice if it worked bette. for one genre stuff its ok for the mostpart but i find that sometimes songs with realy deep bass dont get analised as being that loud so they are boosted up and end up clipping my mixer and bottoming out my speakers when the un-detected deep bass hits

Posted Thu 19 Apr 07 @ 1:03 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Same here, I made this topic in the "Bugs" forum about Autogain. I must say that Bit rate is not a problem because all mine tracks are at 192CBR, analyzed and played many times. The tracks are fully loaded but it is gained way above 0dB.
This needs correction alltough it works good at 85% at the time. Almost there :)
Hope this will be resolved soon.

Posted Sun 29 Apr 07 @ 3:29 pm
rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
May be can solve this problem via Skin:

How about a Real Volume Indicator for each virtual dj deck, exactly like those of an external mixer. Which indicates the real-time Volume (coming in) from the vdj deck Relative to the Vertical Fader (When vertical fader is 0 there is no light from meter of that channel). So the dj can See the 2 volume channel volume is balanced before crossfade. The Current light bar beside the Vertical fader is useless.

Better, if there is peak volume light indicator like prof dj gear or Winamp's analyser or Cool Edit pro.

Best, if there is a Master Volume light bar as well so VDJ is self sufficient and solve the volume issue.

I need this function deadly (because I use HDJC fader with 'reverse Volume & Pitch' setting), I find VDJ volume is hard to control and sometimes screwed up my mix.

With this feature, VDJ will be invincible because the dj can SEE and make sure that the 2 songs are beat-matched and also volume-matched .

Thanks

rprado

Posted Wed 02 May 07 @ 5:55 am
The default skin is showing the real peaks, if it is gained more than 0dB you can see it on meters.

Posted Wed 02 May 07 @ 2:03 pm
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Thu 03 May 07 @ 4:36 pm
rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
DJ-ALF,

I have checked the default skin, it is showing real peaks but....

The Volume Indicator LED is associated with the 'Gain' control, I would like it to associate with the ' Vertical Fader ' control. When the Vertical fader is in 0 postition, it shows 0 volume (no LED light). When Vertical fader is not 0, Volume Indicator LED shows Real volume coming in to the channel.

Thanks for replying

rprado (Artimix)

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 6:41 am
Yes, that would be nice, very good idea ;) I like it!

Posted Wed 09 May 07 @ 3:03 pm
the led meters are prety unresponsive anyway, they only seem to realy react to bass as far as i can tell. all i want is the auto gain to work properly. if the VU meters in VDJ were worth a damn that would be a big bonus but at the moment they are just flashing lights.

Posted Thu 10 May 07 @ 9:35 pm
I would like to see VDJ add a decibal meter utilizing the microphone input. I want to be able to set VDJ to not pass a certain decibal level and have a managers password on that setting. This way no matter how def a DJ is and no matter how much he tries to turn up the volume on the external mixer, amplifier or on the speaker itself the computer will adjust the volume back to a safe level. If that happens club owners like me will be happy. If you market that feature I could see alot of clubs only allowing VDJ software.

Posted Wed 10 Aug 11 @ 7:38 pm
Ha ha, all that needs done there is a bit of tape over the mic hole and that is screwed.

Get professional DJ's who know what volume to play at. As for clubs only "allowing" VDJ that is bollocks!

Keith

Posted Thu 11 Aug 11 @ 3:34 am
A software-based limiter would be very easy to bypass.

If you do need to limit the maximum sound level to prevent a DJ from damaging speakers or playing at an unreasonable level, then a hardware based compressor/limiter that is lockable in the amp rack is a better option, e.g:

http://www.formula-sound.com/products/avc2
http://www.dbxpro.com/260

Once set, these will reduce the sound level once the DJ goes over a given threshold.

However, it's better to employ DJ's who know how to play at a reasonable level.

Posted Thu 11 Aug 11 @ 6:42 am
Get a pro DJ? Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't concider my DJ's pro but they play wicked however I'm afraid all most Jamaican DJ's love to play music too loud. It's the culture. I have a driverack and that protects my speakers I guess. I really didn't think to make the tech set the limit lower on it for some reason after I upgraded the speakers to QSC K series. I called the technician and he is coming tonight to put a limit on the driverack.

I still think the microphone idea is good. Obviosly I would not put the mic in the friggin DJ booth and even if I did I wouldn't expect a DJ to mess with it. I know none of mine would. Also, as stated before the software auto gain doesn't work that good because the samples have different bit rates. If the program adjusted the volume by physically listened to the decibal levels it would be able to control it more accurately. Another advantage is you wouldn't necessarily need to spend on a driverack.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 11 @ 6:32 pm
By the way a club can make whatever rules it wants to as for what software it wants or doesn't want to use. If you don't like it there are a pile of other DJ's to choose from that can play VDJ.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 11 @ 6:47 pm
It's the DJ's job to set the correctly for each track. In most cases, the auto gain in VirtualDJ will do a good job, but sometimes this will need adjusting.

If you already have a Driverack, set up the compressor on it with ratio 4:1 and to kick in at an appropriate threshold. If it's accessible to the DJ, lock it once it is set to the appropriate level, so that it can be tampered with.

Another option if your amps are not behind the DJ booth is to run the output from the DJ booth mixer to a second mixer behind the bar or another location the DJ can't easily access. You (Or your sound engineer, bar manager, etc.) can then turn down the DJ's levels if they are playing too loud.

Posted Sat 13 Aug 11 @ 10:57 am
Great suggestion about the second mixer. I set the limiter last night and the volume was ok.

Posted Sat 13 Aug 11 @ 2:52 pm
i've been using VDJ now for almost 3 years and the autogain, while being a little buggy in the early 6.x versions is now very slick and very rarely needs to be adjusted. I keep my pc souncard at 100%, my faders at 100% and my master volume at 100%, my mixer main and channel levels are all at 0 (where most industry peeps agree they really ought to be in my experience). VDJ seems to examine the wave form for its peaks at all frequencies and adjust the gain so that no peak will clip though there are rare occasions where this doesn't work perfectly. However, since I have it set to autogain+remember when I manually readjust the gain on VDJ for those tracks it remembers and it doesn't happen again the next time. Very rarely are there any issues with autogain but in the end, how much DJing do you want the software to do? Let's face it, this software makes it almost to where a guy in the booth is rarely if ever needed in most mid-small size clubs for more than a few moments at a time. It's ingenious. The only real reason to have a DJ is if you don't have the selection and the guy knows how to do more than just play tracks in which case, autogain shouldn't be where he's headed first and foremost anyway. Cheers VDJ for making one of the most flexible audio systems I've ever seen! Keep up the good work!

Posted Tue 27 Sep 11 @ 6:04 pm
Estou tendo problemas com o Gain, as musicas estao estourando, como desativo o gain ?

Posted Sat 20 Apr 13 @ 7:00 pm
77%