Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: MacBook Pro needs - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Buying Virtual DJ when it is released for Mac. Any heads up for what I may need to modify (video card) or add to the MacBook Pro? Will be using it and new Mac VDJ to mix videos on a system that currently has 6 screens at the club. I know the owners had difficulty setting up the PC on site now and was going to use the MacBook Pro so it would be more effecient when I played there, than it is now. Any help on the front end would be great. I have used VDJ quite a bit, but not set-up side.

Jihn

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 9:44 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
we dont have much info on this yet sorry as it is only about to come to beta

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 12:56 am
appently you can already use VDJ on a MAC by using some software called "bootcamp". (It lets you run windows programs on MAC.)

I'm afraid i don't know any more than that, but apparntly you can make it work, even with videos.

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 3:57 am
There's a guy called ConQuest on the forums, he's the man to ask about MACs!

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 3:58 am
andytaylor125 wrote :
There's a guy called ConQuest on the forums, he's the man to ask about MACs!

Ask and you shall receive! =)

Welcome "vintagedj"!

Yes, VDJ Mac has not gone beta yet (BELIEVE me, NO ONE wants this to happen more than me), however that has not kept me from using VDj since April of last year when Apple introuced BootCamp.

For now, you're only GOOD option (stay away from VT software like "Parallels Desktop for Mac" and VMWare's "Fusion") is to install windows on your Mac using Apple's free BootCamp software http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/. If you choose to do this and you are ONLY going to install VDJ windows on you're windows partition, you can get away with allotting the windows partition only 10 GB's of hard drive space. 8 is too low and more is not needed.

With a copy of windows xp sp2, you can now run windows 100% natively on your Mac and use ANY windows only software.

Myself, I only use windows for VDJ. I can't wait for the day that VDJ Mac comes out and I can dump windows off of my Mac and run VDJ natively! =)

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 11:33 pm
So I need no additional hardware to run Virtual DJ on my MacBook Pro.

Posted Mon 15 Jan 07 @ 7:20 pm
vintagedj wrote :

No. You need bootcamp. Bootcamp is software. It allows you to install windows on your mac.

Posted Mon 15 Jan 07 @ 7:43 pm
vintagedj wrote :

That is correct. BootCamp is FREE, BUT you need to make SURE that you have a Home or Pro version of windows XP Service Pack 2 ONLY!

It will NOT work otherwise. Yes, other versions of windows have been hacked/slip streamed to enable installation via Boot Camp, but unless you want to deal with that whole mess, do yourself a favor and get your hands on a copy of windows xp sp2.

Then you will have 2 fully native computers in 1; a GREAT Mac and (unfortunately) a windows computer... until VDJ/VV Mac come out! ;)

Good luck vintagedj! =)

- Fabio/ConQuest

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 1:35 am

Windows on BootCamp will run the PC version of VDJ just fine, as many have stated already at forum....
BUT, as far as I know, the BootCamp (still beta) does not allow video out to work on Windows (on Mac).

As far as I know..

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 1:40 am
dj-in-norway wrote :

Windows on BootCamp will run the PC version of VDJ just fine, as many have stated already at forum....
BUT, as far as I know, the BootCamp (still beta) does not allow video out to work on Windows (on Mac).

As far as I know..

Where does this keep coming from? I haven't done ANYTHING special to my MacBook or my BootCamp windows installation and I've been SIMPLE mixing video just fine since mid-November with my Hercules MK2 console... TCV's is a different issue unfortunately, but hopefully that will be resolved real soon. ;)

This Friday night, I'll be using a 2 output DVI splitter to connect to my 26" High Definiton LCD AND to a projector directly from my MacBook Pro.

Just plug in your video output source while in windows on your Mac via the DVI/mini-DVI output and select the "Extend my desktop to this display" option in the Display properties panel.

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 2:28 am
djbornaPRO InfinityMember since 2005
do u know when vdj (MAC VERSION) coming out?

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 7:36 am
djborna wrote :
do u know when vdj (MAC VERSION) coming out?

All I know is that it is supposed to be out around now, but it hasn't even hit beta testing yet. At this rate, and assuming that it goes beta this week, I'd say a mid-late February release at the soonest, as opposed to the late January/early February release that was being talked about 3 weeks ago around Christmas which is when we we're told the Mac version would actually be available.

I expected a month's delay though (that's reasonable, I never expected it to actually be on time at Christmas), but any longer than that for it just to hit the BETA stage is NOT good.

I'm imagining a VDJ Mac announcement at NAMM this weekend here in Anaheim, California, but it probably won't ship until mid-late February at the earliest as I stated earlier.

Just hang in there though, the wait will be worth it. ;)

- ConQuest

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 9:08 am
ConQuest wrote :
as opposed to the late January/early February release that was being talked about 3 weeks ago around Christmas which is when we we're told the Mac version would actually be available.

I distinctly remember warning everyone that it would not be availble early or mid January. Looks like I was right there.

ConQuest wrote :

I'm imagining a VDJ Mac announcement at NAMM this weekend here in Anaheim, California, but it probably won't ship until mid-late February at the earliest as I stated earlier.

VirtualDJ will not be at NAMM, so I'm going to say the Mac announcement or unveiling will not coincide with NAMM at all.

I will admit that I was probably wrong in my original MARCH/APRIL timeframe estimate. It really is looking like mid-Feb now for the Mac release. Although, I really have no idea since I don't get any inside information. These wild guesses are done more with a crystal ball than anything else.

We'll see how close I am.

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 5:17 pm
The 11-17 of February, the 25th annual SIEL dj conferance is held in Paris... ;)
Your crystal ball might have tuned into that event....hehe

Thats an event VDJ for sure is going to ;) its held in VDJ home town...

http://www.siel-expo.com/

As for Numark, they might mention Numark VV this weekend at NAMM.. in some form..
we'll all know next monday
http://www.thenammshow.com/

News like a big release like Numark VV are always annonced at trade shows, and kept pretty secret until then, to have a bit of a surprice element at the shows :)

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 5:27 pm
cant find u guys in the list :(

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 6:25 pm
VDJ aint going to Namm ;) as Anewsome said.....

But Numark is

Company: Numark Industries
Booth: 6510

And a little something...
http://www.thenammshow.com/directory/

search for "Virtual Vinyl" at the brand search at the NAMM .. ;) hehe

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 6:35 pm
i ment at siel =)

namms a million miles away lol

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 6:42 pm

nah, its less than 4000 miles from you to Namm.. and if you start swimming today, you might make it ;) hehe

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 6:46 pm
skyfxl wrote :
i ment at siel =)

namms a million miles away lol

NAMMS less than 10 miles and 10 minutes away from me. =)

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 10:30 pm
anewsome wrote :
ConQuest wrote :
as opposed to the late January/early February release that was being talked about 3 weeks ago around Christmas which is when we were told the Mac version would actually be available.

I distinctly remember warning everyone that it would not be availble early or mid January. Looks like I was right there.

The "around Christmas" release date was set by an Atomix "Corporate Staff" member upon the release of VDJ 4.0. I personally never expected that. Hoped? Of course. Expected it? Nope.

I set my expectation for an approximate 1 month delay (at least) from the time that we were told "around Christmas", but not much longer. I said several times that since the product was originally slated for an October release, that a major company like Numark would not be happy with dealing with more than a 6 month delay.

I called Numark Headquarters here in the U.S. back in June of last year, and they told me that Virtual Vinyl would launch in October. That release date was consequently echoed by all the major dj equipment distributors here who had posted "10/06 Availability" (October '06) messages under their "Stock Availability" sections.

ConQuest wrote :
anewsome wrote :

VirtualDJ will not be at NAMM, so I'm going to say the Mac announcement or unveiling will not coincide with NAMM at all.

Yeah, I meant Numark, not Atomix. There is NO WAY that Numark would not be at NAMM.

anewsome wrote :
I will admit that I was probably wrong in my original MARCH/APRIL timeframe estimate. It really is looking like mid-Feb now for the Mac release.

Yup. The revised estimate that I posted yesterday based on the fact that VDJ Mac hasn't even gone public beta yet, is mid/late February, possiibly very early March at the latest.

Of course, the sooner the better. =)

But I'll still expect an Apple-esque announcement this weekend at NAMM with a coinciding "availability/shipping" announcement for mid/late February or early march. Probably something like :"shipping in a month with widespread and in-store availability by early March".

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 10:54 pm
80%