Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Question about legal music.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi5techHome userMember since 2006
Ok, I am sort of new to the DJ world. Well getting back into it anyway. Not sure if anyone knows for sure but I am wondering what the deal is with AVLA.

I mean it says on the AVLA website that you cannot get a lisence for digital music (downloading from the internet).

Virtual DJ has napster integration.... The Napster user agreement says that their music is for personal use only and not for commercial use.

So i guess my question is,.... How is one able to have their music stored on their hard drive for use when DJ'n commercially and not get trouble from the AVLA if they happen to check.... which they have been doing lately.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 6:01 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
your living in canida yes?

i belive there are some odd laws about djing with mp3s there

i sugest you conatct a legal advisor

does any one know more about canadian laws

i only know europe and usa and austraila

Posted Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 11:37 am
No you cannot download music - you have to get your music form a cd service, and Ripp it.

It is Grey area in Canada about DJ'ing with compy's Basiclly most of us that do it still get CD's the old fashioned way and Ripp them. When I was checked out at the club in edmonton - the Investigator didn;t care that I had the files on my comp - just as long as I was getting them from an ALVA approved source.

Napster isn't
iTunes isn't
Urge isn't

Get your music from Promo-only or Multi-music.

Any DJ Gear outlet/retail location sells/leases the cd's

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 11:56 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
thanks for telling us :)

Posted Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 12:01 pm
hi5techHome userMember since 2006
Thanks for the info..... question though.... what about PODDS? It's a download service from promo only?

Posted Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 3:11 pm
not sure if it's avail to canadians

look an the canadaian version of promo only's web site

Posted Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 4:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)