Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pro DJ Headphones

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Just curious, what is your opinion and experience with professional DJ headphones, and what do you think which is the best? I found most DJ's use:

Sony MDR-V700
Technics RP-DJ1200
Pioneer HDJ-1000
Sennheiser HD25

from all this models, i buyed pioneer because of look without hearing any of these other headphones. Maybe i made a mistake, but I just want to know is there somebody who actually heared all of this headphones and who can tell which one's is better than others...

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 2:46 am
doesn't seem like a mistake to me. I have pretty ordinary AKG 240m and sony mdr 700's....i heard raves from people here about the pioneers and the sennheisers

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 3:04 am
I think you made the right decision. The Sony's sound good, but they crack at the pivot joint

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 8:48 am
My Pioneer's didn't last nearly as long as I thought they should have. They actually broke down in multiple places far quicker than I would have thought, especially for how expensive they were. My cheap Sony headphones even lasted longer.

My next set of headphones will be HD25. As far as I know, they're the only phones with 100% user replaceable parts and a solid design made not to break easily.

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 9:14 am
oliwynnPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ive tried a load of different headphones now and the HD25 are def the best. Ive got a big head so its hard to find a pair of headphones that fit well and are comfortable. All my other headphones have been broken because of my large head and thats what i love about the HD25 you can replace everything on them. The sound is the best around aswell.

HD25 all the way!

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 12:42 pm
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have been using The Numark PHX Professional Headphones so far so good.They sound pretty good, with good and clear base to them. They seem to be pretty durable too. I've had them for two months now. Another great feature with them is the fact you can unscrew and replace the heaphone wire.

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 5:50 pm
I am very hard on headphones, going through two or three a year. I've tried all of the ones you mentioned above (except the Sennheiser) and would strongly reccomend the TECHNICS! Second the Sony's.

The Technics have deeper and clearer base. They also wrap around your ears the best to keep other sounds out. For example if you got your volume turned up on your monitor. One last point, they have a cord that detaches from the phones by the earpiece (where alot of phones go bad).

They cost a few bucks more than the Sony's but are well worth it. Buy them from a place like guitar center where you can get a performance plan option in case something goes wrong with them. I just used my performance plan last month and got a brand new pair!

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 7:06 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It doesn't matter which ones you buy, they all break surprisingly easily, I've had Sony and Pioneer, both were a waste of money to be honest, It's definitely a good idea to look for model which offer replacable cords etc (such as the Numarks), cheaper phones can be better, ironically they save you money in the long run as they are no less break proof than those that are expensive. Sound, well you don't need studio quality if your just DJ'ing in a club, most phones will be more than good enough.

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 9:57 pm
Exactly...headphones break. Buy from somewhere where you can get a performance plan. And you do need good sound. You need to hear to match and mix.

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 11:07 pm
I dunno - I use AKG 44's i think, they cost $40.oo from the local DJ store. Before that I had a $100.00 sony set - they lasted untill I dropped them. I think I'll stick with the AKG brand for a bit, they've lasted but the PVC covering of the earcup foam is starting to come off. Time for another pair I think

Posted Tue 02 Jan 07 @ 11:50 pm
look, there's 2 main venues for each of us where we listen .....at home and at work. i do agree with Bagpuss all good sounding ones i've used are not very tough.......maybe use the high quality ones at home under more ideal circumstances and some cheapos at the club/gig cause there you need 'em loud first and foremost.....i take the sonys and the cheapos on the road and i leave the akg's at home....i think they are better than the sony's even though they are cheaper

Posted Wed 03 Jan 07 @ 2:53 am
Hi all,

The only pro cans listed are the hd-25's, the rest are made by white goods manafacturers, thats why they break. HD-25's dont.

Bought my first pair in 1997 and still have them today (after 2 replacement drivers and a cable) for use in the house. Bought another set last year that i now use for club work. They hit 124 db's and wont distort. If your doing club work they are essential.

However, they're not great for studio monitoring as they have a very specific setup, The bass and treble are very sharp and clear, but they're not vibrant at all. I use Byerdynamic dt770's for studio stuff.

cheers

Col

Posted Wed 03 Jan 07 @ 8:26 am
Oh, and dont buy the hd-25 sp's. The drivers are not fixed and the cable splits in two at your neck and runs to either side... not clever at all. They dont sound as good, dont hit the same notes and dont go nearly as loud.

Col

Posted Wed 03 Jan 07 @ 8:29 am
Deffo my vote for sennheiser HD25! The sound is so clear it's amazing.

If you turn them up enough they make your ears wiggle in time with the beat :)

Posted Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 4:53 pm
I think the only people who are recommending something other than the HD25 are people who've never owned HD25s.

Posted Thu 04 Jan 07 @ 8:58 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Mine and my friend's HDJ-1000 broke. I glued them back, and used tape untill they fell appart completely. After that I had Sony MDR7506 which last FOREVER, but they are not very comfortable and the high frequencies are painful even after the break-in period.
Now I got the Technics RP-DJ1200, and they are awesome so far! Very comfortable, feel solid, sound great, and have good isolation.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 07 @ 12:02 am
The most durable I ever had was the (Sony MDR 7506) or for less money same quality the (Sony MDR V6). However, if you have a large head or large ears they are not that comfortable. The best sounding ones I use are the (Ultrasone DJ 1 PRO) Very comfortable with studio monitor true hi-fidelity sound; somewhat hard to find and a bit pricey. Also, you need a mixer with a very good headphone amplifier to drive them. They sound like crap in the Pioneer mixers because they do not have enough 'juice'. Lastly, the (Denon HP 1000) are really great comfortable, sound very good -tons of bass- and much better build quality compared to the Pioneers, which were the most uncomfortable pieces of over hyped junk that I had ever used. Just my opinion, others may differ.

Posted Sat 06 Jan 07 @ 3:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)