Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What should I get?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi5techHome userMember since 2006
Hey everyone,

First off I am very impressed with VDJ thus far. But, I am wondering what i would need to be able to have a setup where i can do some scratching of the mp3 files stored on my laptop.

I intend to DJ weddings, bars, parties, schools, etc. Basically I want to be able to play regular songs from my laptop but be able to scratch and so on. Wondering if anyone could help out with selecting the best but affordable setup.

I really would like something like the xp10's. something along that idea would be great where you have actual (or sort of) decks to scratch with.

Just looking for some guidance on what all is needed for a decent setup.

would the setup go something like this.....
laptop > deck > mixer > amp

Thanks in advance
"total newb to this digital stuff obviously"

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 12:31 am
also where could i get some xp10's and at what cost? Can i get them in US? Canada?

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 12:32 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 12:48 am
xp10 are hard to get in Canada - have to order them direct from the maunfacturer in.... Denmark I beleive.

Dac-3's are actually hard to get as well - this is due to the person who owns the distribution rights in Canada being an asshole so that the music retailers don't order from him anymore.

I tried to order a dac3 yesterday from musiciansfriend.com and was told thery were not allowed to ship north of the border.

If you are going to build a personal/mobile system the dac3 is the easiest way to go. It's a damn fine peice of kit as well.

If you are doing clubs on a regular basis; use they're gear with splitter cables and hook them to a gigaport soundcard and use Time coded CD's

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 12:57 am
if you wait numark is making their own vitual dj controler :-)
duno how long its gona take

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:11 am
i should mention i only have 1 local store that sells DJ stuff .... pashop.com

they deal mostly Denon, Pioneer, Rane, numark, etc ,

would any of that stuff work?

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:16 am
depends on what they stock

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:20 am
xp10's are expensive compared to hercules.....btw skyfxl invented the hercules a few years ago while on holiday,and nowadays in his old age occasionally consults for NATO on IT infrastructure.....

you sound like a mobile guy ....initially just have your digital stuff do what you have been used to in the past....then from there take on new capabilities gradually with your new toys......

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:21 am
i cannot confirm or deny that

as it is a matter of national security

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:38 am
can the cd decks with the "vinyl like" wheel on top be used with virtual dj? I guess i mean can the audio from virtual dj run through the deck and be manipulated from most of those units?

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:40 am

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:42 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If your DJ'ing in clubs I recommend no other than the Hercules MK2 or XP10 (depending on your budget and whether you require good Scratch functionality. If you know the club you work at, and are familiar with the mixers connections, then Timecoded CD/Vinyl is also a good option, but check with the management before making the investment.

If your are Mobile DJ, then take your pick of the controllers or timecode, it really doesn't matter, but it's probably you who has to carry everything, so this should be beared in mind, and it's also nice to be able to get your mixing set-up/console into a single case, in this case rackmount CD players or the DAC 3 would be suitable.

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:48 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)