Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best way to file your music?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006

I currently have a hip hop & dance folder (subfolder for hip hop, reggae & reggaeton, dance, and another folder that I call "Mobile DJ Library" jazz (with artist subfolders) Rock & Roll, Oldies and along with a country (with artist subfolders), and seems to work well.

I am trying to convince him to buy VDJ. He uses dual computers with winamp running on both.

I have a dj friend that has about 60,000 songs on his computer in one big MP3 folder, and I tried to access it through VDJ (to see what he had), and even going to "my computer" to that hard drive and it takes so long that it sometimes locks up. He has almost 2,800 artist folders in there, along with having most of those songs in the one big MP3 folder. He has many duplicates with different bitrates. He has alot of stuff that I haven't heard of, and so I don't know what I would delete.
I am trying to convince him to buy VDJ. He uses dual computers with winamp running on both.

Any suggestions, and what are some guidelines on how many files, and folders for that matter to make it work better?
Even when you simply click on the folder once, it takes about a minute to highlight it!

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 3:42 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
my only tip would to do it

by style , and then by year

say

Trance > 1999

what is his spec?

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 3:50 pm
He has an external drive, that I tried to access, and it even loaded slow on my machine.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 3:57 pm
He also had folders for:
>2000
>2000>month
>2000>month>genre

He would look up songs on billboard for classification as to what folder to put them in.
I would say eliminate the month folders would be a good start.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 3:59 pm
I'd say Tag&Rename would do a great job on his drive. Put all the MP3's in one folder, then get tag&rename to rename the files using a mask like %4/%5/%2 - %1. Translated YEAR/GENRE/ARTIST - TITLE.mp3.

Would save a lot of sorting out, as long as the tags are up to date :D

Mykel

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 4:32 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My route folders are done in Genres (Urban, House, Dance & Club, Pop & Rock etc), my house folder is extended into sub genres:

House:
Disco & Commercial
Deep & Exotic
Electro & Tech
Tools (Acapellas etc)

Each of the above sub genres contain the following folders:
Fresh
2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's

So this is how I work and find it very affective, it all depends on how your mind works, but when I decided to do it this way, I was aiming to achieve two things:

1. To have my music organised logically (using genres and years so it's future proof)
2. Practically viable, the ability to locate music very quickly based on detailed criteria: Year/decade genre/sub genre etc)

Luckily VDJs database allows you to find songs instantly (when you remember the name) and sort by BPM etc.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 4:54 pm
the future proofing is a major issue.....any major artist who has had songs in multiple years/decades/genres i end up putting in big catch all type folders. so bruce springsteen ends up in male vocal w/ frank sinatra. however that is really not so bad in Traktor i can place folders on the function keys so i can click f6 and pull up a huge motown folder for instance; since that is a large folder it is slow to search / scroll thru...but if i click f12 that will search Only the current folder,pretty neat....i like vdj but i strongly reccomend that they tweak the recordcase and id3 tags.......

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 3:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)