Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Serrato Scratch LIVE version 1.6.3. released - with TEMPO TAPPER

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

"Hello!

We are pleased to announce the release of Scratch LIVE version 1.6.3.

This version contains a number of stability improvements, mainly focused on the
problem of handling corrupt MP3s. It also includes a tempo tapper to help you to
calculate the BPM of your tracks"

WOW, SSL has a manual tempo tapper now!! lol ;))

Talk about cacthing up with VDJ... I bet the developers here are afraid now, when SSL has a manual tapper for BPM.... hehe ;)

Took them MONTHS to release too ;) Talk about great improvement for SSL.. hehehe

So glad I have VDJ, with automatic BPM, seamless loops, beat sensitive effects and samples...

SSL users can tap their BPM now.. amazing.. lol!;)

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 2:45 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
One small step for man, one giant leap for Rane!

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 3:00 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
To be honest its actually are pretty good feature.

Problem with vdj is that if your bpm info is incorrect (lets be honest, it will never be perfect) your looping etc is all wack unless you correct it. I think the idea of being able to calculate the bpm while one of the decks playing is an awesome convenience.

Having to stop the song your playing, open then open the edit bpm box, then click play, then tap out the beats & then updating it should be all done on the fly without opening any separate windows... Opening options in vdj scares me... I'm hesitant bout it crashing lol.

Same thing applies to previewing songs before loading them. I just wanna click preview and not have to select which channel I want to play it through each and everytime. Opening another window box to do this is ridiculous.

just my 2 cents :)

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 3:49 am
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Tapping doesn't fix the accuracy problem at all - tapping isn't really that accurate. Also, you CAN manually tap out a song's BPM while it's playing in VDJ, just open the box up and tap away.

l_rids wrote :

Problem with vdj is that if your bpm info is incorrect (lets be honest, it will never be perfect) your looping etc is all wack unless you correct it. I think the idea of being able to calculate the bpm while one of the decks playing is an awesome convenience.

Having to stop the song your playing, open then open the edit bpm box, then click play, then tap out the beats & then updating it should be all done on the fly without opening any separate windows... Opening options in vdj scares me... I'm hesitant bout it crashing lol.

Same thing applies to previewing songs before loading them. I just wanna click preview and not have to select which channel I want to play it through each and everytime. Opening another window box to do this is ridiculous.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 3:53 am

True, tapping is NOT very accurate ;)

And yes, you can do the same in VDJ :)

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 4:01 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
allways have been to my knowledge, would be nice to be able to map it and have a 'lock-on' to real song using the tap as a guide but thats a bit pie in the sky at the moment

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 6:33 am
l_rids wrote :

Just loaded 30 videos, did bpm scan, and every one was as stated on the dvd. Is it perfect everytime, no. Which software is? Yes, you can calculate the bpm while playing

Wrong, as stated above, this can be done in VDJ

What's the big deal with this? If you can click, then you can double click. You don't have to choose anything. It goes to the non-playing deck and you can preview. How many songs do you have to preview anyway, that this becomes an issue? What did you do before software?

These are just my observations.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 7:21 am
313ctroHome userMember since 2005
Ha, nice, someone erased my post. That only further proves my point. I just hope some people got to read it.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 7:32 am
Don't know what your point was, because I did not get to read it. They are not into censure here, so redo it. Maybe it was a mistake, or your wording violated their rules.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 7:38 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
good for them ;)

still no video

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 1:01 pm
313ctro is a SSL user that come here every time he has a chance, to promote SSL ;) And thats ok ...

What he posted was about a new recordpool that SSL going to make, same as PCDJ has, and lots of other services on the net...

Just the basic promo download... ;)

Donno why that was moderated, its a known thing already at this forum...
And wouldnt agree with 313ctro that downloading a few promo mp3 is more worth than VDJs bpm engine and all else ;)

But keep tappin them beats 313ctro ... Gives you something to do :)

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 4:57 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
313ctro wrote :
Ha, nice, someone erased my post. That only further proves my point. I just hope some people got to read it.

instead of posting bad comments , and starting fights on other folks forums.

maybe you could use this time to make ur software better ,

just a thought

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 5:02 pm
manual beat tapper is useless. well maybe not completely useless. let's just say mostly useless.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 7:00 pm
mixmiester is awsome for caculating BPM's

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 1:29 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Ok I didnt mean to start a serato vs vdj war.

Anyways back to the point I was stating... basically I just think its an inconvenience to open the edit bpm dialog box while playing the track then clicking on the manual bpm tap with your mouse and then tapping it out to the beat using the mouse or the space bar. Surely there must be a mapping function to a shortcut like beat tap. I try to avoid using the mouse hence the reason my equipment is all midi.
Does anyone else have an alternative way to doing this? If no then don't bother commenting. Why should I use a secondary software to calculate the bpm? I know mixmeister is more accurate..

Most of the tracks I play are rnb and alot of them are never correct until I update them myself. I never need the bpm to be entirely accurate anyways because my blends/mixes tend to be max 20 secs and its easy to keep it in time using the waveforms regardless of the actual bpm just as long as its close enough.

In respect to the previewing of tracks (a man and his music). I dont like loading tracks into each player to preview because the playlist that is saved at the end of each set includes all the tracks I previewed during the night as well as the ones I played. Plus vdj has a feature which is supposed to do this (previewing tracks without loading them)... if you right click on the track you will see it... LISTEN. More or less I just think this feature can be better utilized rather than the way it is at the moment.

If this seems like I'm complaining I'm not. I just don't like the pessimistic attitude in the forum.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 2:34 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I_rids: I agree with every word you've said, I differ only on VDJs BPM accuracy (and this is purely a matter of personal experience and not fact), I play a lot of Urban music and the vast majority (perhaps 90%) are scanned with correct BPMs, however, sometimes to get the correct BPM I need to use the 4/4 engine or even half the value VDJ calculated.

If a song is important to me that I need to mix often, and it's difficult without an accurate BPM I'll use an alternative BPM calculator (Mixmeister usually), I personally find that Mixmeisters BPM detection is no more accurate than VDJs (if it is it's by a small fraction) but if one program is incorrect then the chances are the other will get it right, or in other words: sometimes Mixmeister is inaccurate and VDJ is bang on!

Lastly, I think BPM calculation is easier on tracks that have more 'clean' beats, often found on 12"/remix versions, very rarely do I have a problem with the BPMs of 12" versions.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 12:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)