Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Combat Overheing Laptops

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all and Merry Christmas! soon I will be shipping off to the Carribean, via my newly acquired DJ gig aboard Disney Cruise Line. what I'm wondering is what do you all do to keep your laptops from overheating when working in extremelot and bright locations. I imagine I can use a canopy and samll desktop fan, but anything more compact?

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 12:56 am

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 1:07 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
yes those are great :)

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 1:09 am
I've put my laptop in a briefcase style flightcase and put a couple of computer fans underneith it for extra cooling. (good for external hard drives, soundcards, etc.)

Also, if you've got plenty of money, one of these would be pretty good, they've got extra fans built in!

http://www.pcdj.com/products/hardware/oodj.asp

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 2:18 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
might need to hack it to get any thing except pcdj on it

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 2:19 am
hmmm, I'm not too crazy about the oodj, plus I've recently purchased a maxed out Dell XPS (and it runs audio and video fantastically!). I do own a Targus cooler. it has two fans that supposedly suck the hot air aray from the bottom of the laptop and then blows it out the back. it works ok...nothing to make me go crazy about. any idea how the cooler mentioned above compares to the Targus model?

I also took a rackmountable cooling fan and set it to blow across the keyboard, focusing its airflow on the portion of the laptop where the processor and battery are located. this method works wonders and keeps things very cool. its just a pain to make sure wires or fingers dint get near the blades. I may end up fabricating something myself with rackfans blowing up from underneath...

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 9:39 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)