Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Anyone using the Ecler NUO 4?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I haven't purchased the VDJ product yet, but have seen it in action. The software is an amazing value! I currently use the Pioneer MK2's, Tech 12's and the Pioneer 600 mixer at most of my gigs (Chicago). I also own Serato, but rarely use it cause im so used to the cueing on the MK2's. I havent purchased VDJ yet because I am a MAC user and am waiting for MAC release. But I am eager to move on to DJin music videos and want to have all my ducks in a row so that as soon as the MAC version drops I can Implement VDJ into my set.

Does anyone here use the Ecler NUO 4 mixer? If so, what do you think about it? I want to be a able to use the crossfader and have it sync with VDJ's fader. I don't know to much about MIDI controls but as I understand they are really sound on the NOU.

Posted Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 11:04 pm

Lots of users here use the Nuo mixers.
They are midi capable, so as you say, it can be mapped to controll software features..

In a club enviroment, you'd really only want that crossfader mapped to the video crossfader in VDJ, and to real hardware crossfader on the mixer...

And thats the beauty of Nuo4/5. Its a REAL hardware stand-alone mixer, that has midi at the same time.

Pioneer also released such a mixer, the DJM800, but its a bit more expensive.

Nuo mixer will work great with VDJ, and there are even premade mappers :) That you can easily change to suit your own needs..

And welcome to VDJ... Good to see yet another SSL user come over to this place ;)

Posted Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 11:12 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the Nuo4 is a very solid unit

which can be used for video and audio mixing

its used by alot of users here :)

you will find alot of reviews and feedback if you do a search of the forum for no4

Posted Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 11:13 pm
Does anyone on the Forum actually own and actually use this mixer? Just trying to get info on it before I lug out the 800 bucks...

Posted Sun 24 Dec 06 @ 10:24 pm
I own it and use to it on a regular basis for video/music mixing.
I use the timecode vinyls as well.

I love the functionality of the mixer with the midi shortcuts you can create in VDJ.
For example:
There are 3 layouts (x2 for each player A+B) you can have for the middle dedicated section of the mixer. On one layout I have setting cue points and such. Another is looping and video transitions stuff.
What I also like is that the 2 channels next to the middle section is also midi compatible as well. All the EQ knobs and such are shortcuts that can be mapped out.

Just a lot of possibilities depending on where you want to take it all.

I just wish there were more professional midi DJ mixers out there like from Rane, Pioneer, etc.

Pioneer's DJM 800 is expensive and doesn't have a dedicated MIDI section for custom mapping for MIDI only stuff. Each knob and button can be a shortcut instead. So if you map the crossfader as a video crossfader you can't have the option to disable it on the fly. On the Ecler you can. I have channel 2 open with no audio at all and it has midi shortcuts for the up and down volume fader as a video crossfader and I also have the crossfader set up for video crossfading as well. BUT... you can disable the regular crossfader as a video crossfader if you want to crossfade just the audio and then slowly crossfade the video with the channel 2 up and down volume fader set up for video crossfading. Confused...? Well that is how I have it set up and I love it. Works great for a trick/scratch/freestyle hip hop video mixing and also for house/dance video mixing using a seperate fader for video as well.

Posted Sun 24 Dec 06 @ 11:58 pm
Lo-Fat-Al --- Thats great info! I'd prob set it up similar to how you have it. I def want max control.

Anyone own the mixer and NOT like it? Or tried it and like a diff setup better?

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 2:35 am
4.x was a huge upgrade from 3.x... And VDJ 4.x was released early fall this year.

This "new" version of VDJ had initial problems with midi mappings of FX shortcut, that also made some troubles for the Nuo (mapping FX). This because 4.x features a totally rewritten effect engine.

So for a short period of time, there where a few issues (that someone might post ..)
But this has been sorted out, and works flawless in comming release (VERY soon release).

So Nuo 4 has worked GREAT for the 3.x release, and work well for 4.x release too, and REAL soon back to flawless with 4.2 ;)

(The FX midi mapping could for a few make VDJ freeze, but its fixed now).

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 3:18 am
NU04 I've got one. It's rock solid in build and in operation with VDJ too.

Bit expensive but should be great for a long time due to the fact it can be so easily mapped to software.

A

Posted Mon 25 Dec 06 @ 8:42 pm
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
I have the NUO 4 and it rocks, with the latest release of VDJ the bugs that the NUO4 expierenced before hand are not gone. So go order that mixer and quit thinking about it. AGIPRODJ is a good place to get it, I picked mine up from them. Ty is a big user of vdj

Posted Tue 26 Dec 06 @ 2:38 am
I just downloaded and installed new update Version 4.2
I wrote new shortcuts with some of the new functions with this version.

I tested it for a little bit selecting transitions, effects, clone deck feature, setting cue points, looping, etc... worked flawless.

I put it on auto play and had a chance to visit friends for a while. Well 16 hours later and it is still running videos non-stop with no crashes.

Posted Tue 26 Dec 06 @ 8:50 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I own the nuo4 also... rocks with vdj

Posted Wed 27 Dec 06 @ 10:48 am
Solid...Thanks everyone for your info. I think im going to pick up this mixer when the MAC version of VDJ drops and get to slammin videos.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 5:15 pm

Sounds good ;)

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 5:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)