Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hercules mk2 and VDJ package?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How does the Hercules mk 2 rate as a soundcard? I'm reading that it has s/pdif outs -- something I don't see on any of the other digital DJ interfaces. I like this because my new Pioneer DJM800 will have digital inputs.
But how does the version of Virtual DJ that comes packaged with the Hercules perform? I'm especially interested in its beatmatching capabilities. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 8:19 pm

The hercules have a pretty decent soundcard, and the version of VDJ that comes with it (a free special version of HomeEdition, version 3.4) works great for beatmixing...

What you will miss, is the fact the free version does not support two stereo out, so that you can connect to external mixer.

For this you need the full pro version (that by the way, works with the Console too, and is at version 4.1 now)

Adding to that, the free console version will most likely not be updated, while the pro version have updates many times a year, and free for all full users (so far).

So, if you have DJM800 you're probably a working DJ, and I'd warmly suggest the pro version.

A comparison of the versions of VDJ can be seen here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/comparison.html

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 8:47 pm
Is there a price discount for people upgrading from the bundled version? I'm also interested in using the DJM800's MIDI capabilities to control VDJ, but will still need a soundcard and since I'm not seeing any with the S/PDIFs, I figured this Hercules will function OK for that and I'll get the controller to boot. The downside is that it'll take up a lot of space.

Posted Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 12:11 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 12:26 am

Posted Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 1:56 am
What about the new Numark Virtual Vinyl setup? Does their "Scratchamp" has S/PDIFs? I couldn't find any details about the i/o connections! Of course, I'm seeing it advertised for around $500 so the Hercules with the upgrade might still be a better way to go ...

Posted Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 8:53 pm
im not sure what it will have yet sorry

Posted Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 9:10 pm
dubsta907 wrote :
I'm seeing it [Virtual Vinyl] advertised for around $500 so the Hercules with the upgrade might still be a better way to go ...

That's EXACTLY the reason I decided to buy the MK2 and upgrade to VDJ Pro instead of waiting until Virtual Vinyl becomes available.

For around the same $500 you would spend on Numark's Virtual Vinyl, you can get the same software that Virtual Vinyl uses AND you get the stand alone soundcard/midi controller that can also double as a mixer.

For some of my mobile gigs I don't have to bring my turntables because the gig [some weddings, holiday parties, etc.] isn't going to require me to do anything more than simple beat matching [no quick mixing, scratching, turntablist level stuff, etc.].

For those mobile gigs, I just take my laptop, MK2, sound and lights. No need to bring my coffin with the turntables and mixer.

PLUS, I believe that VDJ Pro will allow you to use other midi controllers and sound card and probably offer more flexibility overall because VDJ Pro won't be tied into a proprietary piece of hardware like the scratchamp that will ship with Virtual Vinyl.

Posted Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 11:29 pm
ConQuest wrote :
For around the same $500 you would spend on Numark's Virtual Vinyl, you can get the same software that Virtual Vinyl uses AND you get the stand alone soundcard/midi controller that can also double as a mixer.

ACTUALLY, let me revise that. It came out to less for me and you too if you choose to go this route!

$249 for the Hercules MK2 console, and then instead of paying $249 for the full version of VDJ Pro, you only pay $99 for the internet upgrade to VDJ Pro from the Console version of VDJ that comes with the MK2, $30 for 2 TCV's, and $15 for shipping.

$385 for the total hardware and software solution is a damn good deal!

THAT is why I did it.

So I consider myself to be even right now. I saved almost $200 on a digital dj set-up that I am HOPING will be at least as good as Serato's TCV solution. Then AFTER [and ONLY AFTER] that obstacle has been overcome, I'll KNOW I have a better solution than Serato because of VDJ's / Virtual Vinyl's BONUS features like video, karaoke, multiple midi device support, etc.

Posted Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 7:30 am
where do u see $99 for the upgrade?

Posted Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 5:50 pm

Posted Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 6:03 pm
skyfxl wrote :
djpete218 wrote :
where do u see $99 for the upgrade?

http://www.virtualdj.com/purchase/discount.html

Oops! It looks like they finally got rid of the $99 internet upgrade offer. It's still discounted, but only by $20.

Sorry.

The Atomix staff probably read my post and said, "DAMN! Change that NOW before "dubsta907" buys it!."... I'm sure it's something you did man, what did you do?!... ;)

I'd still say your better off getting the Hercules MK2 and upgrading to VDJ Pro. You get more bang for your buck IMO.

Posted Fri 22 Dec 06 @ 7:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)