Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Drink Special Timer/Video Question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I asked this question in plugins forum but came up with idea and needed some input from useres with more experince with Video.

The proposal:

To place a second display that is broadcast around the club that is linked to my compy to play a video of a black screen with only a 10 minute or 30 minute timer counting down. Then super-inposing onto that black background the drink special using the text plugin that already comes with virtualdj.

the question:

Can I do this while still keeping both decks available for audio mixing?

This also give many other uses that I can't utilize because this is the only use the Club owners have for the video component of VDJ.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 1:48 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
if this where coded as a plugin you could run it

and still mix

:)

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 3:04 am
SOOOOOO

Back to Square 1.....

How do I code a plugin?

or

Who would like to try to code it?

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 3:42 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 3:57 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
if all you want to do is show a countdown with some text on another display just use windows media player or something to play a video with whatever you want on it. there has to be an easier way than custom designing a plugin specialy for it

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 5:48 pm
I was fooling around with that last night.

I also downloaded the sdk and opened the readme file. My eyes promptly turn crosseyed just like I was a raw Apprentice and was looking at my first engine power distribution schematic. In other words I had
absolutly no clue as what I was reading. Totally Baffled me. Guess I need to get the idiots guide to C++ or java or whatever that was.

DJ Marcel

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 8:48 pm

Just ask in the plugin forum part;)

There are lots of good coders on this forum, and maybe someone will make this plugin for you ;)

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 8:53 pm
I just thoguht of a couple of ideas, they're both a bit messy and not really ideal, but if you just need something that works, they might do the trick.

1. (Simpler way)
Make or get a video clip of a timer counting down.
open VDJ, set the video to go to the screen and load the video into a deck.
Add the extra text that you want using the text plugin
Minimise the VDJ window and double click on your VDJ icon again to open a second instance of VDJ.
Use your second instance without video enabled for audio mixing,
then if you want to display the drink offers, simply switch to your first instance and start the counter video clip running.
It's not really ideal because you'll have to keep switching between your two instances of VDJ, but I just thought i might mention it :)

2. (other idea, haven't thought it through, but might just work)
You could simply make 30 pictures (in photoshop, or even just paint!) ; each with "30 mintes", "29 minutes", etc. on and put them all in a folder together.
Then you could use the slideshow feature to show the pictures in order. (Just set the slideshow in VDJ to change every minute, so it will count-down accurately)
I think VDJ shows files in the order of names, so the one that says "30 minutes" you would have to name "001" or something like that.
Again, when you set the slideshow running, you could just use the text plugin to add the drink offers to want to display.
Obviously, it wouldn't look as good as a timer that changes every second, but would still let people know how long is left. (ohh, another thought, if you went with this idea, you could make it look a bit more interesting by using the video cube effect once it's all set up, to give the screen a bit more motion.

I know these are very low-tech ideas, but just a few thoughts if you need to get something rather than nothing! :)

Posted Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 3:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)