Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Cross Fader Versus Volume Sliders

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well, In the few years I've been DJ'ing I've always used the Cross Fader, it never crossed my mind to use the volume sliders for transitions, but I soon realised that other DJ's were, but never gave it another thought, to me it 'felt' more natural fading sliders sideways (left for left deck etc).

I can understand it for House/dance music, where long and gradual transitions are made, but with Urban, it's nice to be able to "flick the switch", for a rapid transition.

Anyway, I had a big gig a few weeks ago and noticed one problem, the mixer had no cross fader! I know to most this wouldn't be a problem, but for me, I had to start mixing a different way and in front of a lot of people, kinda threw me, although I had no choice but to get on with it. I felt the movement strange, as for complete control you need to use both hands during transitions, The volume of the track seemed to suddenly 'kick' in loud when moving beyond the 90% mark, this sounded a bit sudden and didn't create the smooth transition sound I was looking for (although I blame this on the mixer).

I've just heard from the management, and been offered bookings through 07, so now I have no choice but to adapt and use the volume sliders! It's no big deal of course, but the cross fader will be missed.

What do you use/prefer? and how do you think the two options affect your mixing style?

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 1:14 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
personaly it depends on what im doing

for mixing as such im a crossfader junkie

it helps me visualise the transitions better in my mind

however
i aslo commonly use virtual dj aslo for alot of sound engering work for plays and events as well as mixing this is when i tend to use volume faders or a line mixer

and this is useful for more rapid changes or with conjuntion with say a radio mic

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 1:20 am
Bagpuss wrote :

, The volume of the track seemed to suddenly 'kick' in loud when moving beyond the 90% mark, this sounded a bit sudden and didn't create the smooth transition sound I was looking for (although I blame this on the mixer).

Scratch/battle mixer.... Just hate that! Volume does not progress evenly, but kicks in at the end. Guess its good for scratch djs, but when I get that kinda mixer on gigs, I throw a fit.. lol

I always use volume faders, never crossfader.... Just a habbit I guess, but it does make me feel more in control of the blend...

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 1:30 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I used to find it weird using the volume faders but I find I use it quite a bit now. You have alot more control using it that way.

I tend to only use the crossfader when I'm scratching now or when I'm feeling lazy with the transition.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 1:30 am
whats the difference between a scratch mixer and regualar mixer? sorry for the stupidity, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 2:09 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Well you wouldn't like walking into the club I am at - we use an Original Urei 1620 and Allen&Heath Xone:V6 - Rotary mixers. No crossfader, no faders - just knobs. One reason I bought a X-session to expand what I have available to me straight from VDJ.
One nice thing about the rotary mixer is you don't have the 90% and your in issue. Rotaries are very smooth and accurate, since I am not a scratch DJ, it's perfect!! Just wish I could find something similar for a mobile gig box that wasn't so damn expensive. But, again got my X-session!

cstoll

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 2:09 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i think with volume sliders you get bigger range then a crossfader which allows for a smoother mix, but even if you have a battle mixer dont forget you can use the gains just as volume sliders and be just as smooth. Also most battle mixers have adjustments also on the volume sliders to offer mor choice. i personally like long smooth mixes but hip hop dont not allow for much of that. Mostly you can do just as you like.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 3:13 am
I DJ all kinds of music at my gigs. Rock, Hip Hop, n House. I use a combo of both volume sliders and the fader. Any mix over 8-12 seconds i use the volume slider with my other hand on the deck to keep on beat. Less than 8-12 seconds, a scratch, or a bump ii, I use the Fader. Its really pref though. Some mixers (like my personal Pioneer 707) you can adjust the amount of sound that engages when you move either of the 2 over (up). Most of my Residency spots have the Pioneer 600 (which I love), but if I go to s spot with a crapy mixer...I bring my own.

This is my advice...If you dont like the bars mixer, bring yours. Good luck ;)

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 8:43 am
I disable my crossfader.... I find I have more control of the mix with volume faders... Much the same reason why many club DJ's like rotary mixers with no crossfader...

problem is, you have to be clean with your mixing... a crossfader adds and takes out at the same time, so even a crappy mix will be over quickly... with volume faders, you can't recover as quickly if a mix goes south, so you have to be careful....

-Steve

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 1:51 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
the SHITTY crossfader (ONLY JUST REPLACED IT) on my numark dm3050 mixer has packed up AGAIN.
i have gotten used to using the ch faders and i now appriciate that it gives more controll in the mix. mine too is a scratch mixer so the curve is quite steep towards the top end (look for markings as a clue, often the halfway point is accentuated on fixed curve faders to give you a visual indication as to its curve.

if you get used to the curve being like that its fine, great for punching songs for fast mixing (drum n bass and hip hop etc) but obv not so great as said for ambient progressive mixing like trance. if you want to get technical having the curve so steep actualy gives you more controll at the quieter end so you can taper out a song more smoothly.

mixing with the gain controlls, now THATS a new one on me

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 10:05 pm
i could crossfade at the club but don't ,i use the vertical faders.....my good mobile gig mixer is a mackie pa board no chance of using a crossfader as there isn't one, the home rig is all pots (rotary) which i enjoy the change . in a week i use three very different mixers extensively and i like the variety. if you want things to instantly pop get a board with mutes.......

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 4:51 pm
wessmith wrote :
whats the difference between a scratch mixer and regualar mixer? sorry for the stupidity, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scratch mixers, or a mixer setup for scratching have the crossfader set to FULL ON instant cut. Meaning when you fade to the left, the slightest distance, the left channel comes on FULL instantly so basicaly there is no crossfade. It's instant on. Most scratch djs setup their mixers that way and the more instant the cut, the more scratch djs will like it. This is why Rane, Vestax, etc mixers are popular with scratch DJs. Instant cut!

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 7:25 pm
most hip-hop djs that i know don't use the crossfader to "fade" at all, since they have the steepest crossfader curver possible set. they use the crossfader to either scratch or turn the channel on and then use the line fader to scratch with.

i'm from the old school where there was no such thing as steep crossfaders, they were more linear and you could do smooth transitions where you moved the crossfader from one side to the other and there would be a gradual crossfade. but since i've had to spin with hip-hop djs so much and they always have the steep crossfader curve set, it was easier for me to adapt that to be my style, rather than always trying to figure out the curve on some foobar mixer.

so that's my style now. steepest curve possible and lots of line fader use.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 7:32 pm
I have always liked Cossfader mixing

but like everyone says - persoanal preferance.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 9:02 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks for everyones input so far, I don't think it is a scratch mixer, to me it looks like a typical club mixer (very old though), maybe there is a curve setting I overlooked or perhaps it's down to wear and tear (the cross fader had broken off). Like I said I'll just practice at home with the channel faders until I get used to this way of working, I did consider taking a DJM400 mixer (small/portable and very good effects), but considering the length of time I play, and other DJs are playing after me, I think taking a mixer as well as my Laptop, controller and CDs, just appears to be going over the top.

I'll counter the sharp increase in volume on the faders by keeping the incomming channels EQs low (especially the low and high end) to create a smoother incline in volume.

Another factor to consider, I didn't use the booth speakers, the first thing the DJ following me did was turn them on, and I was like "ohh, that's where the light switch is", playing in a super club with no monitors does literally feel like working in the dark! but next time I'll know better what to expect.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 06 @ 9:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)