Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: new laptop - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

hello im going to buy a laptop which i ll use it only for virtual dj and maybe for some music producing programms,nothing else,which laptop you recommend for professional use?
im a toshiba lover,but all the propotiions are accepted!

Posted Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 5:19 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
dunno bout toshiba but acer have been rock solid on me. just dont get a dell!!!

And make sure you have at least 1 gb ram and a dedicated video card with 128mb mem

Posted Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 11:22 pm
2nd that no Dell DELL=Hell

Posted Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 11:43 pm
I have asus g2p laptop (t7200, 2GB RAM, Ati x1700 512MB). I have it for 3 weeks and it had worked ok till now. I use it with numark cm200usb mixer and dac3 controller. I play just audio but I've had tried some videos and it works ok.

Posted Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 11:47 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i personaly recommend asus
laptops and tosheba

for audiomixing only get at least a gig of ram

2ghz processor

and 128 graphix

for video get as much ram as you can afford , and 512 meg graphix dedicated

as mentioned

look on my blog for some ideas :)

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 12:31 am
any laptop will be difficult or impossible to reconfigure /upgrade. portability isn't everything. i have a desktop and a laptop system. choose carefully. I would recommend that you not get xp media center edition as the OS.

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 1:19 am
yes

media center has unusual reactions to many drivers

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 1:20 am
it does irritate me that they call it media center edition and it's about the last thing you'd wanna do music or video on. maybe it's for media that isn't visual or auditory........yeah that's it.

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 2:49 am
yes its a joke

but its a good os for utter beginers thats what its desinged for and tv pcs which u cannot change the hardware on

it anoys me greatly when pc world starts putting it on laptops it makes them unusable

my advise to you if ur sold a pc with media center edition is to buy pro xp and fax microsoft for a refund request on media center

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 3:00 am
thanks everybody for the help
nice blog skyfxl really usefull

well i was thinking for a hp,or a toshiba which have the same amount of money but hp has almost the double better specs than the toshiba!

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 2:45 pm
hp is good but their support can be a bit odd

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 2:47 pm
My advice Build a Shuttle!!!

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 11:48 pm
yes shuttles way forward:)

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 12:20 am
What OS are you using?

If it's windows whatever - [xp pro, home, media] it's still gonna only be as good as windows will let it be, and that's not good at all.

Trying to decide which windows computer manufacturer to buy from doesn't get rid of the real problem, windows.

Want a real computer with a real os that will last you 2-3x longer, work reliably, and even let you run windows 100% native on it if you need to alongside a mature, secure, stable, and high quality but user friendly application packed OS?

Get a Mac and use Mac OS X.

Then kiss the windows problems goodbye. =)

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 1:06 am
But, VDJ doesn't work in Mac, right?? And Linux??? What about this OS???

Byez

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 2:12 am
currently a virtual dj version is being developed for mac

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 2:20 am
mac could have been the number 1 company if they had not made their bigest mistake

ibm windows partner sold their concept of pcs to nearly every company that wanted it

mac decided to make their own , and there have been over the years many cases of mac harware problems aslo , some macs only live 2 years i have a pc thats lived 10 got mixstation 1
on it lol Rock on! , then other macs run for 8 or 9 years or more it varies so once again their is no winner in this department

on the mac front

as they now are using newer intel parts this should improve over time

previously the moterola processors had a few issues

so basicaly i think both systems have merits and their downfalls as i have said before and i think people need to work out what best suits their need per system and they should avoide just using the one system always ,

as now the intel macs have brought mac os onto the x86 and soon to be the 64 bit arc
there has been some speak ov the possiblity of mac releasing a version for intel arc pcs

sounds interesting but this is a forum about dj software so i stop now on my techy talks :-)

remember go for what you think will suit you the most :)

Regards a major techy ;)

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 2:31 am
skyfxl wrote :
currently a virtual dj version is being developed for mac

Yeah, when VDJ 4.0 came out, word from Atomix was "around Christmas" for the Mac release.

skyfxl wrote :
mac could have been the number 1 company if they had not made their bigest mistake

Apple made a LOT of mistakes while Steve Jobs wasn't there from 1986 until 1997.

Apple Macintosh computers were:

- too high priced
- using proprietary parts
- courting the high end markets and not focusing on the much broader base of the average consumer
- limited in software support because of their [formerly] closed Mac OS and it's [lol!] insignificant marketshare
- isolated because Apple refused to license Mac OS as generic to be loaded on any hardware configuration [low or high quality] offered by a generic computer manufacturer and/or DIY'ers [Do-It-Yourselfer's]

What has changed in the past 5 years with Apple's Macintosh computers, and are the primary reasons for the VERY high profile "switcher" movement [beyond the "iPod Halo Effect" which was partially true up until last year... just look at AAPL stock since summer of '03 when the iTunes Music store was launched and look at all the evidence of the HUGE surge in non-iPod, former windows user, Mac sales - http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2309 ] are the following:

- too expensive?
Comparably equipped windows pc's [not those wonderful stripped down Dell's you see advertised on TV] have been proven OVER and OVER again by not only unbiased consumer publications suh as Consumer Reports, but even windows-centric consumer magazines like PC World and even IT mags like InfoWorld, to not only cost at least as much as a Mac [usually more], but they still have the average 1/3 to 1/2 lifespan of a Mac [2-3 years for the average windows pc vs. 4-6 for Mac... this is called TCO, Total Cost of Ownership, where Macs are a MUCH better value over time than the typical, short lived, problem plagued windows pc's].

*Note to Sky and others that know how to maintain windows and are DIY'ers [Do-It-Yourselfers]: GOOD FOR YOU, SERIOUSLY! I know how to as well. =)
However, my argument is that no one should HAVE to. Any company can make things difficult, microsoft has proven itself capable of doing just that to "90%" of the computer using world... I still laugh when I hear that they believe that they have 90% marketshare... =P ... Google "Mac installed base" and you'll find out why marketshare means nothing to us [installed base is more important and is a better indication of TCO defined above], yet means everything to microsoft's propoganda & misinformation... I mean... "marketing" division.

Unfortunately, people who know how to maintain windows and DIY'ers are the VAST MINORITY of computer users. You see, any [trying to be nice here] "not so bright" company can make things difficult, but it takes a truly innovative company with a focus on quality control like Apple to make difficult things, easy. It's called corporate accountability, responsibility, and focus on the things that are important to it's customers/user base.

- using proprietary parts and ports?
ALL Macs use standard parts and ports now:
- USB2 [USB was invented by Intel in the mid 90's but Apple standardized it FIRST when it put them in their first 1998 colored iMac line-up]
- FireWire [invented by Apple in early 90's, popularized by Sony video cameras around '94]
- SATA hard drives across the line
- DDR2 ram across the line
- DVI output across the line
- Digital optical audio input and output across the line
- ExpressCard expansion slots [PCMCIA will be dead within 1-2 years]

- courting the high end markets and not focusing on the much broader base of the average consumer?
Apple's installed base of users in the graphics, audio and video pre/post-production, science, bio-tech, medical, legal, and even government/military will NEVER switch to windows, especially now that any Intel Mac can be a windows computer if they need to be... MOST average users are know QUICKLY realizing that they don't need windows AT ALL, just microsoft Office which is available for Mac and always has been. THAT is the kick in the groin to microsoft: it's "HUGE" marketshare is really attributed to Office [Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.], NOT WINDOWS AT ALL.

* Sidenote: This is HILARIOUS. You should see the looks on the faces of my 2-4 windows to Mac switchers that I deal with daily 5x a week. The looks range from amazement, to embarassment, to outright anger when these people find out that they have psychologically tied themselves into windows because they thought Office was a component of windows, or only available for windows because of the microsoft name tie0in. Now, I'm not trying to downplay microsoft's propoganda at all, it obviously worked for many years, but the "jigs up" now... hence the unstoppable switcher movement that started 4 years ago and is now reaching absurd levels in terms of "willingness to switch". It's not even predominantly a "will" to switch that I'm seeing amongst the masses anymore, it's more of the "want" and/or "need" to switch realization now.

Back to addressing Sky's comment about how "Apple could have been number one...":
What HAS changed in recent years is that the HUGE average user base is now DEMANDING reliability which Apple maintains by making it's Mac OS exclusively for it's Mac computer's. The many high quality, yet user friendly [remember, it takes intelligence to make difficult things easy] applications that come with EVERY Mac are a big breath of fresh air for these poor windows users who get "treated" to bundled demo/trial software that is either; a)junk that they immediately want to un-install whic is loads of fun since applications un-install completely on a registry based OS and NO .ddl file issues EVER degrade system performance [hey, just telling you what my customers complain about daily], or b)still just a demo that they're gonna have to go and buy when a Mac would have already come with a better version of that photo/video editing/dvd mastering/web & blog creation/video conferencincing, etc. software that their looking into, OUT OF THE BOX nad guaranteed to work not only amongst themselves because their made by Apple, but with the OS that also happens to be made by Apple. Of course the apps AND the OS work seamlessly with the hardware because it is, you guessed it, made by Apple.

On top of having to buy those applications, you have to buy your [many] prevention/recovery/optimization/etc. utility apps. Now put a price on your wasted time and effort put into maintaining/fixing/recovering/re-installing/re-formatting your computer that shouldn't have had these problems to begin with.

Now tell me again, where are those savings for that windows pc that's gonna last you 1/3rd of the time? Yeah, I didn't think so. Even if you do initially save a couple of hundred on a bargain pc, you'll replace it 2-3x within the average lifespan of a Mac. THAT is TCO. Do you really save money in the long run if you're re-purchasing units multiple times within the timeframe of another units sole lifespan? Nope.

- limited in software support because of their [formerly] closed Mac OS and it's [lol!] insignificant marketshare?
This had ALWAYS been true. No arguments, other than the fact that the handful of applications that most people use always did have Mac counterparts, so why would I care about "A MILLION WINDOWS APPLICATIONS!" if the 5-10 that I'm actually gonna use are available for the FAR more secure and stable Mac OS? But admittedly, as is the case with VDJ at the moment, there are those 1 or 2 apps that are windows only and Mac users had no choice but to "grin and bare it". Games for Mac? We WERE screwed.

What's changed? Mac OS X has been open source Unix Free-BSD based for over 5 years now. windows is closed source folks. Why do you think microsoft bankrolls the SCO lawsuit against Linux? Because 3x convicted, illegal monopolies don't like the idea of sharing. Mac and Linux are microsoft windows' worst enemies because they're open source, innovative, and RAPIDLY INCREASING THEIR USER BASES thanks to windows SWITCHERS.

Other changes? Every Intel Mac can now run ANY windows applications with BETA Boot Camp [the final version is gonna be awesome... you haven't seen nothing yet. ;)

*Sidenote: I walked into a CompUSA the other day and noticed that the windows game section now has "Games for Windows" signage plastered ALL over it. That's what happens when a major barrier that your competition had for decades has now been overcome by the new Intel Macs. The tables have turned. There is now MORE software for Mac's than windows pc's because you can run windows on a Mac if you have to [like I do ONLY for VDJ for the time being] for those windows only, apps, AND run ALL of the Mac only software like industry tndard Final Cut Studio... of course, that's mad by Apple so you know it' gonna work on a Mac. Good luck running that on windows. =P

- isolated because Apple refused to license Mac OS as generic to be loaded on any hardware configuration [low or high quality] offered by a generic computer manufacturer and/or DIY'ers [Do-It-Yourselfer's]
Ummm... DAMN RIGHT!

QUALITY CONTROL and SEAMLESS INTEGRATION between the two most important parts of ANY computer, the hardware and it's OS, is at the ROOT of Apple's Macintosh computer's reputation for EASE OF USE, STABILITY, and LONGEVITY.

With the switch to Unix, on top of all that, Mac got CROSS-PLATFORM COMPATABILITY, OPEN SOURCE community development/support, and SECURITY, because Macs don't get comprised to the point where a re-format is required just to get back up and running or back to/near initial performance benchmarks... for a little while at least until windows starts eating away at itself again.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 12:01 pm
the history of mac there :)

do you work for apple lol?

one anoying possible fatal flaw i hope they manage to solve on some imacs which is their main remaining problem i encounter as a techy from time to time

is that when folks try to install the update to the latest os X

they get stuck in an endless loop if they try to remove the install disk say they changed their mind

the disk wont come out in this boot mode

and they cant break the loop

so u have to open the case and use the manual release

suppose that beats what microsofts beloved XP install which reminds you why you want to buy the product when technicaly ur ment to have already hehe , which then waits till the very end of the 2 hours to tell you if there was a problem ;)

do you have msn btw ?

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 12:20 pm
skyfxl wrote :
do you work for apple lol?

Ummm... I dunno... ask Norway. ;)

Let's just say that I don't have to pay to get into MacWorld San Francisco next month [January 8th-12th] and have all access... even on campus. ;)

skyfxl wrote :
one anoying possible fatal flaw i hope they manage to solve on some imacs ....is that when folks try to install the update to the latest os X...they get stuck in an endless loop if they try to remove the install disk say they changed their mind

Note to ANY computer users: Don't change your mind while installing an OS.

Before or after? OK.

During? You deserve to get your install disk stuck. =P

Sky - Just Force-Quit the install or perform a hard shut down. Re-boot the Mac holding down the mouse button or trackpad until the disc ejects or use Open Firmware commands to eject the disc.

skyfxl wrote :
do you have msn btw ?

Never on it, but yes: FRodriguez719.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 06 @ 9:18 am
87%