Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: help with sound quality

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hey guys...im having some serious problems using 4.x with 2 sound cards/external mixer...i just wanna say that 3.4 sound quality is perfectly fine. The problem im having with 4.x is only on deck 2, in which it sounds very garbled. No matter what i do, including switching sound cards and cables, the problem always, and only, occurs on deck 2. Its hard to explain exactly what it sounds like, other than very distorted and garbled. When i switch to using 3.4, it sounds just fine. And i know its not my sound cards, cuz i experience the exact same problem on both my laptop and my desktop, which use totally different sound cards. Ive also tried using all different settings in the performance tab, none of which seem to help. And like i said, its only with deck 2. Deck 1 is perfectly fine, regardless which sound card i have it hooked up too. Please let me know if anyone is experiencing the same problems, or if you have any possible solutions. Thanks in advance!

Posted Sat 11 Nov 06 @ 9:06 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Quote :
Please let me know if anyone is experiencing the same problems, or if you have any possible solutions.

Niether from me. I would suggest recording a sample with the same input on both decks and upload it here, so someone might find the root of the problem by the sound of it.

Posted Sat 11 Nov 06 @ 11:22 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
have u picked auto latency?

and do u have safe mode or overclock enabled?

Posted Sat 11 Nov 06 @ 2:57 pm
i have tried auto-latency, as well as each of the other latency options separately. Ive also tried safe mode checked and unchecked, as well as overclocked checked and unchecked, but nothing seems to work. I tried recording a file of the distortion, but when i play it back, such as through winamp, it sounds perfectly fine (weird). So it appears as though it only sounds like that in live, real-time performance, and only on deck 2. It works fine when i use 1 sound card, but as soon as i switch it to using 2 sound cards, it goes to crap. Im gonna get the U46DJ for christmas, so hopefully using just that 1 sound card will fix my problems (but in the mean time, i still have parties that i gotta do)

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 12:39 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
try lowering your proformance tab

preferences > proformances

to fast

fast<quality

aslo use this free tool

to ensure your two soundcards dont share the same irq

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 12:47 pm
i tried lowering the performance tab, and the problem still persists...ive tried all the different positions and options in the performance tab, none of which help. My onboard soundcard has IRQ#10 and my PCI sound card has IRQ#11, both of which are reporting no conflicts. Im also having the exact same problem on both my desktop and laptop computers. I think im gonna try reinstalling VDJ and see if that helps, but i dont think that it will. Is it possible that i have a bad install file? Maybe i should request a new file, and try that one. Like i said in a previous post, the sound works fine in v3.4, just not in v4.x. The weird thing is that it only happens on deck 2, regardless which sound card i have assigned to that deck, or regardless of which cables i have running to my mixer. So i dont really think its a soundcard or cable problem. And theres no problem in v3.4. And also when i record a file with the distortions, and play it back, the sound quality is perfect, so it only appears to be real time sound coming out the speakers. Also, the distortions seem to have a type of "bell-curve" effect according to time, in which the song will start off playing fine, but after a minute or two, it will slowly become distorted more and more, until the song quality is horrible, then after a few seconds, the distortions will slowly go away, until the sound is fine again. It does this for nearly every song that is loaded into deck 2.

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 10:52 pm
DJKicePRO InfinityMember since 2005
i had this problem. but it was corrected in 4.1.

this is what was happending to me when keylock was on. try turning keylock off!~!!!!!!

if its not on... check to see if ur sound card is running at 48,000 this also maybe the cause... or maybe what people have said above... IRQ or other stuff like preformace.

take my advice though... best bet with keylock being is make the deck sound haywire.

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 8:05 am
zshaathPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I am having this problem and re-installed 4.1 and still on deck2 only popping, clicking, and poor sound quality.??? let me know if there is a fix. Many Thanks

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 3:51 pm
read my above post

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 4:11 pm
zshaathPRO InfinityMember since 2005
what and where is keylock?

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 4:24 pm
underneath pitch
the thing that looks like padlock

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 4:50 pm
@DJKice
thanks for the advice...however, i think that maybe i fixed the problem before i had a chance to try the keylock feature. A buddy of mine has a cheap USB soundcard that i asked to borrow to try it out. I set my default system sound card as my onboard card within control panel. In VDJ, i set my first sound card as PRIMARY SOUND DRIVER and my second card as USB AUDIO. Then, in the performance tab, i set the slider all the way to the left (fastest).
So far, ive been using it for a few hours and no distortions. I've even changed the latency to 256 (5ms) with no problems. However, ive only tried it on my desktop. Not sure if this will help it on my laptop. VDJ seems to have a problem with 2 internal sound cards on my system; i think maybe that one of them being USB seems to resolve that issue, but not really too sure why. Anyway, if the distortions come back, i will definitely try your idea about turning off the keylock feature. Again, thanks for your help!

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 7:02 pm
well, i tried the same kinda setup on my laptop, and no luck. Im still having problems with it. I tried disabling key lock, but that didnt seem to help either. The problem may be in the latency of the sound cards. If i set the latency to 64 (1 ms), the distortion is there right away, even on deck 1 (because neither of my cards can handle it), which leads me to ask if its possible to adjust the latency for each of my soundcards separately?

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 10:27 pm
IMPDJPRO InfinityMember since 2006
This works for me:
Disable auto gain or 0db
I also leave my gain at 10 o'clock

Posted Sat 18 Nov 06 @ 11:40 pm
@djfxprogressive
Set the latency to auto, hardly no soundcards will handle 64 samples of latency. A normal soundblaster will be at 16ms at lowest setting. So try set it to auto, or on a higher value than 11ms.
Also try switching on and off "Overclock" and "Safe mode". It is best to make a change, close vdj, reopen and test. If it is not what it supposed to be make another change, close vdj etc. Another tip: Change only one thing at a time.
Ewout

Posted Sun 19 Nov 06 @ 1:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)