Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to disable VDJ internal EQ (for better gain control)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

gulkerPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi,

I have searched in forums, but could not locate the way (if there is a way) to turn off the internal EQ in VDJ. The reason for this is to be able to increase internal gain without distorting the track's sound.

You guys can correct me but, I read in one of the forums that VDJ will apply the gain after it applies the EQ to a track. And I believe it distorts the track when gain is above more than 3 1/4s of the knob. Sometimes little over the half way.

Does anybody know how or if there is a link, could you point me to right direction. (or upcoming release which addresses the issue).

DJ Palamuth.

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 5:18 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
If you set to "Always 0dB" it will not distort your sound at all and EQ are always on the middle so they are not working unless you move them. There is no option to turn it off and you don't need it. Internal gain can be up to +4dB before distortion.

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 5:36 pm
DJ-ALF wrote :
If you set to "Always 0dB" it will not distort your sound at all and EQ are always on the middle so they are not working unless you move them. There is no option to turn it off and you don't need it. Internal gain can be up to +4dB before distortion.

I know I have been using it but, there are times that you cannot send enough signal to the mixer. Without using external mixer's gain control, I want to be able to send a higher gain. Especially when playing with a CD as a third or fourth device. I know their output (CD deck's and Sound card's ) will never be the same.

I was just curious as to find a way .

DJ Palamuth

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 5:48 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You're not getting enough output?

What kind of output are you using? Headphone out or line out? Headphone out's voltage is not as high as line, so maybe you are using a laptop or something that is using headphones.

Also make sure all your sound sliders are at their max for Main Mix volume and Wave volume, in the sound mixer in control panel (or in your taskbar).

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 5:56 pm
Niems wrote :
You're not getting enough output?

What kind of output are you using? Headphone out or line out? Headphone out's voltage is not as high as line, so maybe you are using a laptop or something that is using headphones.

Also make sure all your sound sliders are at their max for Main Mix volume and Wave volume, in the sound mixer in control panel (or in your taskbar).

See if this makes sense;

I use Maya 44 USB sound card (My backup card is Gigaport AG) in ASIO mode. As far as their output levels are concerned they are all the way up. I would not use a built in sound card for a multi channel setup. Ofcourse the output depends on the quality of the MP3 one would have on the hard drive. I realize that. Also, I optimize them by using MP3 gain. For that reason, output from my sound card is never going to be the same as if I am playing from a regular CD on a deck like Denon, Pioneer, etc etc. Which I am not trying to do.
But, when I play at clubs, some times sound engineers ask me to give them more gain to level since they are used to the level of gain comes out from regular CD player. It is not just to show them gain either, I need to adjust the gain. Although setting in VDJ at "Always 0 dB", it really does not come out the same. And I am sure I am not the only one who experienced this. I don't know the algorithm but it might be the way it analyzes the track gain. Peak gain vs overall ( I am not too technical how digital track's gain properties processed)

And again, this is not a complain about the product but to find a way to make it act to my needs, :)

I used to have a Denon DN 9000 s along with my VDJ on a laptop. When I played along side the CDs I always lower the gain on the CD channels. I played with other software where I could increase the gain without distorting the sound. I don't want to name them since I am truly a VDJ fan.

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 6:16 pm
clore46PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I had a similar problem. I switched to an m-audio Torq sound card and have more than enough output now. I think its the maya44 (what i had before) thats the problem.

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 7:09 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Im not sure if the Maya has an external power supply optional, like the U46DJ, but sometimes an extra power boost can increase volume levels. Not sure if thats what its like on the maya though.

If you really cant get the power, maybe just use a small hardware preamp to boost the gain before the line enters the mixers.

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 8:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)